• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

genuine leblanc al hirt trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodman1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: genuine leblanc al hirt trumpet Reply with quote

I have an Al Hirt Leblanc trumpet that he actually gave me back in the 70's along with pictures of him and me playing it the day he gave it to me. The case was ruined from getting rained on when the roof was blown off of my house during Katrina, but I had it restored and was just wondering what it's value may be since it was his. Thanks
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the story behind Al Hirt giving you a horn?

Larry
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that happened to me it would be one of my most prized possessions. If you meant value as in FRNs, it doesn't matter - those are made up and their "value" constantly changes on the whim of the maker . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
woodman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and Mr. Al were friends and I had started playing trumpet at 7 years old and he showed up at my house around Christmas one year with one of his trumpets, played a scouple songs and handed it to me. I don't want to sell it, I was just wondering what it might be worth and I came across this website. It is genuine, I have pics to prove it. Thanks, Mike
HankTX767

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Al Hirt model Reply with quote

New to the forum but, saw this post and hope that I can provide some helpful info. I am assuming that your horn is a LeBlanc or Courtois branded horn and not a Holton Al Hirt.

Your horn has a unique history which could have meaning to the right buyer but, Al was known to give away horns and from time to time one will turn up on eBay. From what I've seen, most buyer's don't place a premium on this aspect. But then, Al seems to have been forgotten by folks who don't realize how great he really was.

I have 3 Leblanc Al Hirt models that I purchased in the last year. From those purchases, and scanning eBay, I've seen Leblanc Al Hirt models go anywhere from $200 to $1200 depending on condition and specific features. Leblanc produced several variations on the Al Hirt model.

Hope this helps. Regardless, these are great trumpets and should you ever decide to sell the horn, I would certainly be interested. Let me know if I can provide any more info. Best Regards.
woodman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks, like i said, i wasn't looking to sell it and I am sure there are a few out there bicause as a kid hanging out in his dressing room, he had 20 or so in there at any time. By the way it is a LeBlanc. Do you live in N.O. and if so do you play locally? Thanks for answering.
HankTX767

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Al Hirt Leblanc Reply with quote

Grew up in Texas and currently live in Austin but, have always had an affinity for all things NOLA. Used to work for a N.O. bank and my wife and I try to get there every year around the holidays. My interest in Al Hirt was ignited when the band I play with decided to cover "Java". 3 horns and 40 or so albums later...
KH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodman. What a wonderful story. About 1967 or so, Al Hurt came to my hometown, and as a young trumpet player, I got a ticket in the front row. After, I went back stage, talked to him and got his autograph. He didn't have to give me the time of day, but was very gracious. What a wonderrful ambassador of the trumpet he was. I wish I could have know him.
KH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: