• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help to identify a Conn Victor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguemodel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Help to identify a Conn Victor? Reply with quote

Hi, I have acquired a very nice Conn Victor. I have been to the Conn loyalist site and i think it is an early model 22B, except the valve block and tubing is all nickel, early 22B show a brass block with a nickel ring around each. The leadpipe is brass with a nickel receiver. after the leadpipe it becomes nickel. All slides are brass. The bell is 4 5/8. Victor in on the receiver but no "22B." It is interesting to note that the bell is engraved "CONN USA" No Elkhart Indiana. Fixed 3rd valve finger ring. Ornate engraving on the bell. Serial # is 562xxx
Is it a 22B? Thanks, Mike

Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you seem to have a 22B. Starting around 1953, the 22B went through a transition of sorts, over several years. From an all-brass horn, it gained nickel on the slides, and none on the valves. Then it went to nickel on the valves and none on the slides. Maybe then it went to all nickel on the valves, which yours appears to be, and maybe another version or two. Christine Derksen's web site, the Conn Loyalist has pictures of several horns in this transition. She says that the 1956 and 1957 horns had all nickel valve casings, which yours appears to have, as near as I can tell. You need to look up the serial number and if it does indeed fall in 1956 or 1957, that would be pretty conclusive.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6B "Early Model".
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:
6B "Early Model".

The OP says the bell is 4 and 5/8", and that would make it a 22B. Again according to the Conn Loyalist, the early 6B had a 5 and 1/8" bell in 1957. I am also going by the lyre holder on the left side of the third valve slide - this is a characteristic of the 22B for sure, but I cannot say that the 6B didn't have it too, since I've never seen one. My much later 6B did not have one. The serial number, 562xxx, puts it in the 1955-1956 time frame.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you are correct. I have a 6B, and it doesn't match the photo.
roguemodel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was also thinking 6B, but the 6B's I have seen do not have the nickel receiver or the nickel pipe on the other side of the leadpipe. This is why this may be a tough one.....a transition horn.
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really answer your question, but I have a question.

Does it play?

That's the real question..
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great model in fantastic shape from a killer vintage of a top-notch company. Of *course* it plays. But then again, I may be a little biased
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
roguemodel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it plays! wonderfully......I am debating having the horn overhauled. I also have a wonderful Connstellation 38B........I have to wonder why they just can't reproduce the sound of these wonderful vintage horns. My Olds Super Recording plays and sounds better than any instrument today. I purchase vintage horns to play. I have tried the super horns of today but there is just something about vintage horns. I play Jazz and ballads, granted it takes a nich horn for this. It does need a tweak in valve alignment. I was thinking of Tom Green, I thought I might silver the ornate inscribing on the bell. But refinish the rest to original condition. M
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, congrats. Second, ?, no help in ID, sorry. Except to ask: top springs or bottom? Maybe that helps. Third, so far as I've learned with Connie A, the older the better. Good luck with Victor B.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: The Player Reply with quote

roguemodel wrote:
Oh it plays! wonderfully......It does need a tweak in valve alignment. I was thinking of Tom Green...

Wow! I have the same horn! A 702xxx.
The best playing horn in my little collection.
Valve alignment is easy d.i.y.: http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle37.html

This horns are build to last. Don't waste money and time on useless overhauls and cosmetic B.S. In my opinion a horn with 60 years may look as a horn with 60 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: