• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does anybody make a heavy weight lead horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one builds trumpet's like this becasue they are block heads and greedy........It cost's more to make any tube you want to bend thicker and .025 and thinner is easily the current standard for main tuning slides and leadpipe wall thickness. Never mind that mandrel tube bending has been with us since the 1950's I think???? My aftermarket exhaust can have it but not my trumpet.....It keeps the tubes from getting wrinkles during the bending process by pulling a ball through the tube as you bend it or a mandrel.

Second the industry pander's to half lies and half truth's so they make the entire trumpet light weight or heavy weight instead of asking the right questions........."What is the goal? What do I need to make heavy? What do I need to make light? What weight should the bracing be to accomplish the goal? Instead they think like dinosaur's with tinny little brains.....If a little bit is good a lot must be even better so you end up with either a standard weight horn, a heavy beast like tank or a horn so ultra light weight just looking at hard will dent it! Common sense has been missing for a long long long time in this industry!!!

Why would anyone sheet brace a main tuning slide and bell bow but then use their regular bracing and regular weight tubing and other parts on a horn?????? Just because you can toss some mass at a horn does not make it a well designed or engineered product! I am not a fan of companies tossing sheet bracing on horn in non-critical area's in an attempt to make it look like something it is not!!!

So be careful when it comes to large OEM's and fake heavy horns and such! I am sure if you wanted a properly designed heavy lead horn Jason Harelson, Dave Monette, Andy Taylor, Calicchio would all be willing to build something like what I was describing with their own tweaks and idea's for sure! Any company that only has one thickness of tubing and such for their leadpipes and main tuning slides and braces should be avoided!
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, just maybe, it's because the horns that almost EVERYONE that plays the lead book, or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, scream, any part in a symphony, orchestra, concert band, brass band, or anything else sounds great with a regularly braced, normal weight trumpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Kanstul Model 1500-A qualifies as a heavyweight lead trumpet.

I thought it was copper.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to agree with Tom that a heavy trumpet won't give you the right sound for lead. I'm going to disagree about why.

The heavier trumpet is more efficient. More sound will come out front because less is lost through the walls of the trumpet. The sound holds together like a Lazar. When you play lead, you want the sound to break up a little. That's where the sizzle comes from. Because the sound holds together so well and projects, you can't hear yourself as well and the guys sitting next to you can't hear you. This makes you play louder than you intend. Now you lost the great efficiency of the heavy trumpet and are too much out front.

I think they work in the symphony because you can hear yourself. It's a different thing. You want the sound to stay together.
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because the sound holds together so well and projects, you can't hear yourself as well and the guys sitting next to you can't hear you. This makes you play louder than you intend. Now you lost the great efficiency of the heavy trumpet and are too much out front.

This is true ! But that is when I get "the Look" from the man out front

( )

And I know to back off. OR ELSE !!!

Learn to here what your sound is in the ensemble. That's why we rehearse as an ensemble.

Of course, that's just my opinion...
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Quote:
The Kanstul Model 1500-A qualifies as a heavyweight lead trumpet.

I thought it was copper.

The Model 1500 has a copper bell. When the 1500-A was introduced, a few were made with copper bells but the spec was later changed to bronze, and that's the way they are made to this day.

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charles!
So there you go - not lead.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: