• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range inside the Horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found out that I have a neighbor that is a trumpet player and taught at the London and San Francisco Conservatories in his younger days (he's in his late 60's).

Paul heard me playing one day and decided to swing by my place and talk.

While talking we started to discuss range and method. He said that methods are generalizations and each player has to in a sense develop his own method. Howeve, he stressed that proper embrochure is something very different and went into the specifics of what he thought was a proper embrochure.

Anyway, he went and got his horm (a beautiful gold plated Schickle) and we started to fool around. First he gave me some advice about breathing and said of all the things productive breathing takes a lot of committment to develop.

He started hitting some pretty high notes without any effort - no bunched chin, no redness - and his tones were fat.

His explaination was this:

"When I play low to mid range, I am playing inside of the horn - I'm not thinking any further than the beginning of the bell and in some casers the valve cluster. I try to fill them up with all the air that I can and I think about blowing warm air through my horn."

"When I play anything above high g. I am trying to fill the room with my sound. Starting at that g, I am trying to make my warm airflow resonate in the outer tip of the bell."

"As I go higher, I try to use other objects in the room as markers for my air flwo to reach. Your couch (10 feet away or so) would be a c above the staff. The window across the room would be a double high c, and so on."

"I don't really concentrate on compressing my embrochure of craming the horn into my lips. I try to fill the room with as much warm air as possible depending on how high I'm playing."

After that, he played some stuff from my Arbans and seen delighted that he could still remember all of the exercises. A great old guy with some awsome chops and an interesting approach.

What you you all think. Seems to work for him. In his day, I bet he was a monster player!

Ronnie
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:39 ]
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie,

I'd book him for lessons asap. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about...and able to demonstrate it to boot. I, for one, like his approach. It keeps you from focusing on the mechanics of sound production and more on the quality and projection of the sound, which in the end will develop the mechanics necessary to produce those sounds...in all registers.

Dave
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it said that a good part of range is in your head.

I know a guy who says that he doesn't have lead chops, that he can't play much above a high C.

Once we were on an Army band trip to Milwaukee and during the course of the trip, we went with some relatives of his to this restuarant/bar that had a combo playing on the bar side. Steve had brought his horn with him and after talking shop for a short while, asked if he could sit in. Steve, by the way, is a great soloist and totally loses himself in it when he's playing. Anyway, not only did he completely upstage the local hero sax player (Yeah!!!!!) he was playing up to F# above high C consistently while he was soloing. I don't think he even knew he was doing it.

Steve has the chops, but if he thinks about it, he'll probably miss.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:40 ]
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear Ronnie I am so jealous of you dude. You are going to get WAY ahead of me that this rate. Playing in a band before me and now trumpet players coming to YOU and giving advice. I swear...

All that he says makes perfect sense and I have read that in several books. I think Pops says something about this in his trumpet A to Z book.

Incidently I played with a community band for the first time last night. It was great. It showed me how far I had to go but at the same time, showed me how far I've come. I'm walking on air right now.

Later,
X
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of teachers use this approach, and I have done so for my 7th grade son. Thinking of higher notes as being "out" rather than "up" has helped him keep the air flowing forward and open. I used to use a wall light switch as a target for him because it was at about bell height. I have since drawn a target that we have dubbed the "Tone Target" that I put on a music stand and move farther away as he goes higher during range extension exercises.-----Similarly, the other thing that the target helps with is long tones. I tell him to think of the sound as a laser beam from the bell to the bulls eye and this seems to help him conceptualize maintaining an even air flow.---I think the approach mentioned by the original poster is an effective teaching aid.
RooTheHorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, this is all really interesting. Ive heard of athletes+stuff using visualisation techniques, but I never thought of applying it to trumpet playing.

Nice work guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: