• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modifying 1st parts in classical works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What are your opinions with regards to the practice of slightly arranging some classical 1st trumpet parts to make them sound better? Immediate examples are Beethoven 3 and 9: in the Eroica, tradition has that the trumpet blasts the theme at the end of the 1st movement together with the horn, instead of starting it ff as written for 5 notes, only to disappear onto a series of concert Bbs after it. This is very effective (check Berlin's version, awesome) although unauthentic. Of course, you might object that maybe Beethoven would have digged it, or that he was deaf anyway, or that he's been six feet under for some time now so we don't care about his wishes but play our way.

In the 9th, again the trumpet is called to play the melody in the opening of the fast (last?) movement instead of dumbly repeating concert A's in the stave. Judging by the fact that the trumpet has a good deal of melody playing on the Ode to Joy later in the mvt., I would be in favour of this rearrangement, as it seems the ol' Beethoven was not against a bit of trumpet blast here and there.

The same thing applies to baroque works: I have an edition of the Stradella sonata (#?) where some violin replies lying outside (below) the playable range of the natural trumpet are put into the trumpet part. My philosophy for earlier music is to try and play as written on the natural trumpet where I can (more of a challenge and nice sound, in tune with compromise of vent holes), reserving the piccolo for transcription of oboe or violin pieces (again, more of a challenge), unless I'm playing in a good orchestra on modern instruments, where I'll be most happy on a picc, but respecting the style and notes written on the page, as there is usually plenty to do anyway!

What do you guys think about the topic?

Cheers,
Pierre.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it's done with taste a little modification to trumpet parts of the romantic and earlier eras can work well. Listen to the Mehta NY Phil recording of Beethoven 9 to hear a little doctoring in the last movement.

George Szell was a well-known advocate of altering scores if he thought it would sound better. Listen to the Szell Cleveland Schumann Symphonies and follow along with a score - some things might surprise you!

John Urness
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 08:09 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: