• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitalistnihilist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by capitalistnihilist on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good choice for the lyrical etude would be Charlier's second etude. I have seen it on many audition lists under this category.
budthorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what band are you auditioning for? I'm doing a couple of USAF auditions this summer as well. That is, if MY tape goes well!! I am putting the 2nd Charlier, and maybe the 1st on the tape. Not sure about a solo though.

Pat
capitalistnihilist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by capitalistnihilist on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 08:08 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was doing audition tapes I don't think I put *any* etudes on it! I mainly played a couple of solos and about 15 orchestral excerpts. As far as etudes go, Charlier #2 is great, but think about how many times the audition committee is going to hear it! Maybe try to work up some of the other Charlier etudes or even better, a couple of the Bitsch etudes!

What are you playing for your solo? I'm sure the Haydn, Hummel, Arutunian has come to mind. They've also heard those 10 million times. Look at the Enesco Legend, Stevens Sonata, Kennan Sonata, Tomasi anything and even the Jolivet #2 would be kinda cool.

Unless they ask for something specific try to mix it up a bit. I played the Enesco Legend and the Persichetti Hollow Men on mine. Excerpts included Mahler #5 opening and #3 posthorn solo, Petroushka stuff and managed a few piccolo things like the Bach Magnificat, some of the Brandenburg #2 and the Reiche Fanfare.

You know the drill, give em everything you've got in 30 minutes or less. Make *them* want *you.*

Oh, one more very important thing for these military band auditions. BE ABLE TO SIGHT READ LIKE A FIEND AND KNOW *ALL* OF YOUR SCALES!!! Once you get to the audition, your solo is only about 10% whereas scales and sight reading make up about 80%!

Have fun making the tape and let us know what you put on it!

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: