• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue level work starting to pay off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathgeek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tongue level work starting to pay off. Reply with quote

I have been at it for about 11 months now. I am finally starting to see how the tongue level idea is starting to work!

I just finished my flexibility studies: Etudes 1-5 from Colin's Lip Flexibilities. Etudes 1-4 are played first slurred then tongued, while Etude 5 is only tongued. All of them end with a pedal note added on for good measure. Takes me about 20-25 minutes to get through it all. I am focusing of kicking the top note hard with air singing the vowels in my mind as I do them.

So tonight I peeked ahead to see what was coming up and the etudes have a "lip trill" from high C to high D in them. Right now I am struggling with playing the G to false Bb fast and clean. (It seems I can have one or the other, but not both!) Anyway, I thought I would try the lip trill and I overshot it just a tad...High C to Double G!!!

Now that I have had a few minutes off the horn, I cannot repeat my success. But I did get a little window of insight on what Claude meant by developing the knack of playing. For a brief moment, I had it!

Now I need to simply apply myself for the next 5 years or so to make it habit! Simple, right? lol
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

(Really)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: