• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for info about Claude's Cessna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Looking for info about Claude's Cessna Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for info regarding Claude's Cessna airplane. Does anyone know who it was sold to, and/or its tailnumber?

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I talked to Bill Hall who said he remembered Claude's plane to be a 180 RG (retractable gear) and the last 2 of the N number to be 5L. That's all he can recall.

Mark
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mark. But now I'm confused because I remember the plane as being a 172. And the picture I have of Claude posing with it makes me think that is correct. The angle at which Claude's plane sits on the ground seems closer to level than how a conventional geared 180 would sit:

Note how much more the 180 angles toward the ground then a 172:

Cessna 180

Cessna 172

Also, as far as I know, there never was a retractable version of the 180 (though there was a retractable version of the 182 which was itself a conventional geared version of the 180).

Now if I can just get the rest of those numbers (or find out who Claude sold the plane to).

Thanks,

John

Last edited by John Mohan on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure......could it be a 210?
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Claude saying that his plane had retractible landing gear, as mentioned above, if that helps. It would be cool if you could find it and buy it. Do you have a pilot's license?

I have friend has gone in on a plane with a two other guys and it seems like a cool way to get use of a plane without buying the entire thing yourself.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! If it was a retractable, it had to be a 210. The 182RG and the fairly rare 172RG weren't available until long after Claude had his plane. As far as I know, the Cessna 210 was the only retractable gear Cessna available when Claude got his.

I had always thought (and maybe just assumed) Claude had a 172. Perhaps I was led to believe this because I know that the 172 is by far the most popular Cessna (and a lot less expensive than a 210). The 210 is a pretty expensive bird. Now I know where all my lesson money went!

And Jeff, yes, if it was a 172 I was interested in tracing it and perhaps someday buying it. But at the point where I'd be ready financially and experience-wise for a 210, I'd be ready for a Mooney.

Mooneys are faster and cheaper to fly than a 210. Fast and cheap. Perfect.

Best wishes,

John
Bruce Haag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Due to my interest in Claude's flying, I inherited his Pilot Log and Breitling Navitimer pilot's watch, both greatly treasured.

His log states the tail number as N4605L. His Cessna was a C172. I believe he had it retrofitted with a variable pitch prop. It had full instrumentation and he was Instrument Certified.

His last entry in the log is dated 12/29/86. Before he sold the aircraft he had a new engine installed and many gauges.

About 2/3's through the log he stopped computing his total flight time for some reason, keeping only the trip duration times. At that point he had logged 1,254 hours. I may add up the rest of his hours sometime but I would estimate it to be around 1,800 hours.

The log states that his certificate was issued on 10/03/68. The first flying entry in the log was on 12/03/71. That was 9 months after I began studying with him. I remember that he had an old beat up Volkswagen Beetle he kept at the Van Nuys Airport to commute to the studio with after flying in from Big Bear.

He counted himself fortunate to have flown for so many years with no major mishaps. Like everything else he did, he was detailed and thorough. I do remember one incident that truly frightened him though. He was given bad information by the tower at San Carlos one night with poor visibility and he soon found himself flying just above the treetops of the mountains just west of the city. He gained altitude just in time to avoid a crash. That truly rattled him! He was pretty upset at the guy.

An entry in the log on 07/28/74 says he landed with a flat nose-wheel! No damage to the plane is recorded. Way to go Claude!

I do not know who bought the plane. The last entry location simply says "local". I would assume that is Van Nuys.

It may have been someone at Big Bear who bought the plane. Not sure. He told me that lots of pilots screwed up landing at Big Bear due to the steep final approach, right down over the treetops. It took a pretty good pilot to land there.

I hope this helps you out a little bit John.

Bruce
Authorized Kanstul Musical Instruments dealer
15 year student of Claude Gordon
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
Skype Lessons
Formerly with Stan Kenton
Elvis Presley - Las Vegas Shows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N4605L.html

shows to be de-registered... it may not exist anymore.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

Oh my Gosh, YOU got the watch! I've been wondering about it for years and actually contacted Patty's son Eric to see if he knew what became of it (he didn't). Glad to know it's in the hands (or on the arm) of someone who truly appreciates it. If you ever have to sell it, call me adn we'll keep it in the family.

As for the plane, WOW! The logbook! Kind of the Holy Grail you've got there (and the plane itself would then be the Arc of the Covenant I suppose).

Now that I've got the N number I'll keep investigating and try to find out the whereabouts or the final disposition of that plane. I'm looking for a 172 with plans to purchase in another year or so, and it would be amazing if I could someday procure Claude's plane. Let's hope it's just been mothballed by an owner who can't afford to use it right now - or maybe a restoration/modification that's gone on a lot longer than originally planned. It is a bit concerning that as mentioned, L35 is a pretty nasty airport and things sometimes happen...

Best wishes,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N4605L.html

shows to be de-registered... it may not exist anymore.

Thanks for the info. Yes, that could be the case. Hope not!

Best wishes,

John
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Check your PM's

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: