• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing vs Kanstul:

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Wild Thing vs Kanstul: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a Wild Thing Cornet. Great horn, I love it. But I noticed that Kanstul has one that looks exactly like the Wild Thing, and sells for $1000 less. Hmmm? Does this model have the same size bell calling for special mutes? I am wondering what Filp has done besides the valve alignment to make his version worth that much more? I am hoping that someone will say that they are completely different instruments, and that the Wild Thing is worth the extra $$$$'s
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are completely different instruments, and that the Wild Thing is worth the extra $$$$'s.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatanas wrote:
They are completely different instruments, ...

'Completely different' how?

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the post before mine and you'll understand.
I made a funny.
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, what's the funny? That's not so funny
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron wrote:
So then, what's the funny? That's not so funny

YOU're not so funny.

Touche.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, dude.

Enjoy your purchase. If it was made by Kanstul, it has to be good...
where have I heard that before...

ed
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pox on thee jerk! and about talent. some cats got it, and some cats ain't.
i.e. scat anus! I wasn't trying to be funny. Just wanted some info on my new horn, compared to the Kanstul.
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron wrote:
A pox on thee jerk! and about talent. some cats got it, and some cats ain't.
Scat anus that is.

Wow, chiiiil dude. Loosen up a bit. It's Friday. LOL

Hope you don't play your horn as tense.
Think happy thoughts more often.

And enjoy your weekend!!
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mein lieber. Friday's don't count with me. I've been retired since 99
re: talent! Not learned. It's a gift from GOD. On the other hand skill my be learned by non talented guy's. But without the gift, they can only go so far.

Last edited by Accordion Ron on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatanas wrote:
Read the post before mine and you'll understand.
I made a funny.

I have come to believe the WT Cornet and the Kanstul 1530 are virtually identical. What you are paying for is a PVA and Flip’s mark-up - no one has shown me different.

Other than the French-tapered receiver, the same applies to the WT Flugelhorn (a rebadged Kanstul Chi 1025).

AFAIK, only the WT Trumpet distinguishes itself from anything in the Kanstul line-up.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wild Thing cornet (also Bb trumpet and flugelhorn), and it's been my understanding that although the Kanstul 1530 is similar in many ways to the Wild Thing, that the Wild Thing has a different bell and leadpipe, in addition to Flip's "total enhancement" including valve alignment, nickel outer slides, and an additional longer tuning slide for playing outside in warmer weather. And as far as the price difference goes, the MSRP of the Wild Thing in silver is $3200, and the Kanstul 1530 runs $2845 (yeah, I know Jack and a few others sell them for less than MSRP, but that's still a starting difference of only $355 - less than the price of the "total enhancement").

Enjoy your horn. It's a great one.

And about the flugelhorns being identical between the two lines: again, no. The Wild Thing flugelhorn is neither a 925 nor a 1025, but an unique instrument that shares some of the features of each of those horns. Sound-wise, I put mine right up there with my ZKF-1525, and the Wild Thing has a definite edge in responsiveness and agility in fast passages. (Not that I'm ever going to part with the ZKF-1525....)

Last edited by ChopsGone on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it comes in a real nice case.
And you have to buy it from Flip. I don't think Dillon's 123, brass & woodwinds carry them.

By the way, my Bach Strad 184 is still for sale in marketplace.

Lawler model T in Gold Plate
Wild Thing cornet silver.
95 Kawasaki GPZ 1100
When I take my helmet off, I hear the kid's say "Hey! look at the old buck on the crotch rocket! haha
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatanas wrote:
They are completely different instruments, and that the Wild Thing is worth the extra $$$$'s.

Thanks Flip!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
I have come to believe the WT Cornet and the Kanstul 1530 are virtually identical. What you are paying for is a PVA and Flip’s mark-up - no one has shown me different.

tom turner wrote:
What's different between the horns?

Before the valve block assembly? A different leadpipe for a more open blow and richer sound. After the valve block assembly? A unique bell . . . the famous "Wild Thing" bell that gives these horns their name.

In between? Well, they both start out with a stock Kanstul valve body . . . before Flip does his famous enhancements and alignment magic.

The results? ... A sound almost to die for!!!

T.

excerpted from here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89576

And this thread contains a more extensive side-by-side comparison from Tom: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44679

-- Joe
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:

Other than the French-tapered receiver, the same applies to the WT Flugelhorn (a rebadged Kanstul Chi 1025).

AFAIK, only the WT Trumpet distinguishes itself from anything in the Kanstul line-up.

Does that mean as far as I know? Wow, that took me a fraction of a second to type. Maybe I should abbreviate . . .
Anyway, good thing you put that disclaimer up front because you don't know jack shik.

Kanstul makes all of Flip's horns for him. To his design. Some of the parts are generic, others are proprietary. Flip's horns are NOT just a re-arrangement of Kanstul parts with a valve alignment. There are design elements and procedures that Flip does that are completely proprietary. His horns are definitely NOT a re-badge!

Maybe you didn't know, but Flip designed a flugle for Kanstul quite a few years ago. "Flip's Flugle" became the 1525 - the beginning of Kanstul's copper bell line. I have the first one, accidentally made with the wrong size bell flare. The 2nd one went to Flip, who gave it to Art Farmer, who willed it back to Flip. Also, if I remember the story correctly, Flip had a hand in the redesign of the Besson flugle which is what led to "Flip's Flugle" (which is not a Besson, or a Wild Thing).

Flip's cornet is made for him by Kanstul. It looks similar to one of theirs. It is unique, however.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I wished people would just ask me..

The Flip Oakes short model shepherds crooked Wild thing Cornet is laid out like the Kanstul 1530 Cornet, however the entire cornet is different in all respects. The Wild Thing Cornet has the Wild Thing Bell, which is much different to the 1530’s bell, in addition to that the leadpipe, the gauge of the brass, plus more... In addition, yes, it has the “enhancement, and digital valve alignment”, also the Deluxe case, and comes with a WT mpc.

I recommend that you find a Kanstul 1530 so that you’ll see, hear, and understand how really different they really are....

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes
“Wild Thing Trumpets”
COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
http://www.flipoakes.com

“To read what Wild Thing Owners say about their horns, click on this”
http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056-3421
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 Fax

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron wrote:
re: talent! Not learned. It's a gift from GOD. On the other hand skill my be learned by non talented guy's. But without the gift, they can only go so far.

I agree with you. I see it in my students all the time - there are those that have something special in them and there are those that have to put in EXTRA work to keep up to the talented ones that put SOME work in.

What i am referring to in my signature are all the great artists that are out there. Specifically, someone was saying about Wynton Marsalis that he is so "talented" and then someone else contributed to the discussion that while Yes, he is talented what we see now is the result of 6+ hrs/day of practice, followed by other hours he put in transcribing, composing, seeking out the knowledge and pushing himself a little further each day.

So i don't think that SKILL is what "non-talented" guys learn. EVEN very talented musicians have to practice a WHOLE LOT to acquire that skill.

Talent or no talent, you have to pay your dues to the instrument.

The violinist MIDORI is considered a genius and a prodigy, YET, she has a permanent mark on her chin left by the instrument from the 8-10 hours she practiced EVERY day until she got to this level. Yes, God gave her the talent, but she had to harvest it by practicing countless hours.

So before anyone can say "Wow, so and so is talented" they have to be aware that serious hard work went into the acquisition of that skill.

Fröhliche Weihnachten Mein Lieber!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You guys sure learn a lot by looking at web photos! NOT!

It's like Old Rafiki from Lion King says, "Look... ha-ar-der." The WT flugel is not a rebadged 1025 and I have owned both of them. The WT trumpet is unique, as you said. The Celebration is unique as well. The Shepherds Crook cornet is like nothing else to play, the Long Model is unique and the C trumpet is unlike any other C in the world.

The really uncommon thing about Flip's instruments is that you get what Flip says you're going to get. You guys really need to "play before you say."

Yeah, you got my hackles up on this one. I've offered my own personal horns as demonstrators to numerous players and I still will put Flip's horns up in comparison to anything out there that you would care to try.

Bring it on.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit that I was good on the accordion. Studied with Frank Gaviani, and had to practice, as my dad made me.
Havern't touched the accordion hardly at all since the 60's. It's heavy, and I have a permanent crick in my neck from the strap, as I began playing it at age 5.
I am constantly wondering how good I might have been on trumpet if I had started that younger instead of at age 25 in college. Hmmm?
My senior year I was first trumpet in the "Symphonic Wind Ensemble" and there were about 40 trumpet mayor's there. All asking me where I parked my Ferry Boat. Trumpet player's are wise guys donchaknow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: