• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing vs Kanstul:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

chuck in ny wrote:
selling horns is a tough business. flip is selling stuff that should go for a good bit more, and instead of people beating a path to the door, he gets put down for running a marketing scheme.
my policy was to pay him for the trumpet and flugel before he had a chance to change his mind.
i'd like to know how many people on the planet are capable of designing a better playing brass instrument, and also once you get that knowledge, how much more your goods are worth over a quality factory horn.
it's a hard business and who knows maybe it should be that way. funny to see how things go down and how this lame argument on rebadged kanstuls persists. the only valid argument would be playing a wild thing, and then it not being to your liking. ..chuck

'Nuff said.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Within the constraints Flip has just stated, I can tell you that my 1025 was ultimately set up as close to Flip's Wild Thing flugelhorn as possible. The WT is more consistent through the scale in terms of timbre and resistance. It is easier to access the upper range, especially in an ascending scale, because the WT responds in a more linear fashion.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:

Stuff, with a signature including:

Kanstul Trumpet 1001-1R - Copper (small jazz combo)
Kanstul Trumpet 1601-2 (big band)
Kanstul Trumpet 1504-1
Kanstul Flugelhorn 1025 - Copper
Kanstul Cornet 1530 - Copper

Just a thought, here. Looking at all the Kanstul horns in Bill's signature and especially a cornet and flugelhorn proposed as being the same as Wild Things, and his location given as Southern California (OK, that takes in a lot of real estate, some of it even habitable): why not load up the car with your arsenal and go see Flip in Oceanside? Then you, too, could chime in on the superiority of his horns. If I can make the trek from Northern California, it's hard to see why someone from Flip's end of the state should have to ask about his horns here.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes wrote:
It may appear that way, but it's not...... IT IS NOT THE SAME HORN......
Sorry, but I don't feel I need to tell everyone how to design, or what my horn is, beyond my descriptions above.

Just to be clear there was no hostile intent from me whatsoever. You have my sincere apologies if any offences were taken.

It is, however, cryptic responses like this that have given me the impression I posted earlier in this thread. You did say, "I wished people would just ask me..."

ChopsGone wrote:
Bill Blackwell wrote:

Stuff, with a signature including:

Kanstul Trumpet 1001-1R - Copper (small jazz combo)
Kanstul Trumpet 1601-2 (big band)
Kanstul Trumpet 1504-1
Kanstul Flugelhorn 1025 - Copper
Kanstul Cornet 1530 - Copper

... why not load up the car with your arsenal and go see Flip in Oceanside? Then you, too, could chime in on the superiority of his horns. ...

Fair enough, but I have to play on a horn for at least a month (time for the 'honeymoon' to wear off) before I know for sure it will work for me. ~30 minutes in a practice room simply doesn't do it (not for me).

And since the WT line is made by Kanstul at the Kanstul factory and largely based off of Kanstul instruments (having owned several, I am very familiar with them), knowing and understanding the technical differences should help me decide if a particular WT might be worth a purchase.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're ok here:
Quote:
the WT line is made by Kanstul at the Kanstul factory

but off the mark here:
Quote:
and largely based off of Kanstul instruments

Does that help? Yes, they are made by Kanstul using generic Kanstul parts. The differences are proprietary information. As Flip told you: different bell, different leadpipe, yada yada yada . . . you can look it up.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
Fair enough, but I have to play on a horn for at least a month (time for the 'honeymoon' to wear off) before I know for sure it will work for me. ~30 minutes in a practice room simply doesn't do it (not for me).
Bill Blackwell wrote:
...knowing and understanding the technical differences should help me decide if a particular WT might be worth a purchase.

I know it's not exactly the same, but aren't these two a bit contradictory?

- I have to play the horn a bunch in order to know if it will work...

... in other words, a real trial that puts it through it's paces.

- The technical difference (specs on paper) are enough to decide if I'll buy it?

... but numbers on paper (including numbers that Schilke said are meaningless) are enough to know if it's worth buying.

Huh. I agree with the first part, but I think it'd be worth playing a horn to see if it's worth buying. A bit of playing in the trial room is better than numbers on paper (or a screen) any day of the week by me.

There's some horns that I think I'd like - like a Bach 72, but don't work that well for me. On paper, I don't really care for the 43. In reality, I seem to respond to that bell best... of the Bach stuff, anyway. That's just an example. There's plenty more instances like that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a pro player, and not being all the good. I am impressed with my Wild Thing, because I just got out my Herbert L Clarke book and played
"From The Shores Of The Mighty Pacific" without a flub. Must be the horn, because I've never played it before without several "flub's" Ta Taaaa!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron wrote:
Not being a pro player, and not being all the good. I am impressed with my Wild Thing, because I just got out my Herbert L Clarke book and played
"From The Shores Of The Mighty Pacific" without a flub. Must be the horn, because I've never played it before without several "flub's" Ta Taaaa!

So, do you find the WT has tight slots, that the notes really lock in (in tune, of course)? That's what I like in a cornet used for fairly technical music. My large bore Bach 184G is that way, and now that I got the valves aligned and trash-canned the heavy caps, I'm very satisfied with it.
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale,

The notes seem closer together. I find myself playing a G instead of an E. The intonation is very good, as was the Bach 184. It just seems easier to play. I have made a few mistakes by starting at the wrong pitch. Seems strange, but I'll get use to it.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier to play is a good thing!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know his name here on the TH site, and he's mainly lurked instead of posting for years here and at the TM site.

I won't mention his name either without his permission but he's the identical twin brother of a long-time trombonist with the Georgia Big Band. He also loves vintage trumpets and plays an extremely nice Model Lightweight 400 from a famous old company ("Beuscher") . . . made in 1950. Heck, I'll bet I just screwed up the spelling. Sorry. Any hoo . . .

He's down from Virginia this week doing some work at the AF base and Warner Robins and we invited him to sit in on one of our rehearsals Monday night.

I SAY ALL THAT LEAD IN TO PREFACE THIS . . .

During a break I mentioned to him that "in the trumpet section tonight we have an entire Flip Oakes trumpet line up . . . TWO Wild Things and a Celebration, something you've probably never heard before." I added, "Would you like to play 'em and see what they are all about."

Naturally, he did, and he remarked about the very even steps between the notes from top to bottom . . . the even scale. He mentioned how easy they were to play and he seemed to really like 'em a lot. We all let him try our horns. It's nice seeing the reaction from seasoned players when they play 'em!

THEN I let him try the WT short cornet. He's read about all these horns in my posts here through the many years, and he got to see what a magic horn the cornet is too!

Yea, they are something else, and starting with me in early 2001, each of us in the section has gotten to experience playing Flip's horns . . . and each person has ended up buying a horn from Flip they hadn't planned on buying BEFORE experiencing how wonderful they play and sound!

I might also add, all are fine players too, educated musicians with years of experience and performance . . . and they could truly appreciate the difference enough that they simply HAD to have one of their own.

Lots of $$$$ for Flip's horns? That's one way to look at it I guess, but I look at it another way . . . they don't cost much more than horns that sometimes leave a lot to be desired! I've played a lot of horns that weren't really close but cost nearly the same in my time, and cherish the differences.

EVERYONE loves the sound and ease of play of my short cornet, but he also mentioned how easy all Flip's horns are to play and respond instantly, even at a very faint whisper. Yep . . . the real deal.

T.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
EVERYONE loves the sound and ease of play of my short cornet, but he also mentioned how easy all Flip's horns are to play and respond instantly, even at a very faint whisper. Yep . . . the real deal.

T.

I love the Wild Thing trumpets, they are magnificent instruments.

But Flip's Wild Thing short model cornet? Man, that is a special, special horn.

I absolutely love that axe.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE! I started this thing. Do I get a commission when Flip's sales go up? haha
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron wrote:
GEE! I started this thing. Do I get a commission when Flip's sales go up? haha

I bet you can get twice what he pays me.

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
billybobb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
[. ...

And since the WT line is made by Kanstul at the Kanstul factory and largely based off of Kanstul instruments (having owned several, I am very familiar with them), knowing and understanding the technical differences should help me decide if a particular WT might be worth a purchase.[/quote]

Well if that's the case, just ask Kanstul at the factory what the differences are that you feel are cryptic from Flip. No acclimation period will be needed then.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wild thing bell is unlike any other trumpet bell I have seen. Closest is my Besson cornet bell, but the wild thing is wider. Not like any Kanstul trumpet as far as I can see.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, form a British perspective the 'WT' models, both trumpet and 'cornet' are flugle horns,...the have the same sound charcteristics and enharmonics found in the flugles we use in brass bands, the 'cornet' more than the trumpets......

....presumably this is a function of fitting a straight bore mouthpipe and wider throat bell like a flugle horn.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
Actually, form a British perspective the 'WT' models, both trumpet and 'cornet' are flugle horns,...the have the same sound charcteristics and enharmonics found in the flugles we use in brass bands, the 'cornet' more than the trumpets......

....presumably this is a function of fitting a straight bore mouthpipe and wider throat bell like a flugle horn.

Bob,

They aren't as wide as flugelhorn I've seen, but definitely wider than other Bb trumpets. Flip calls the design a hybrid, and it is. As far as sounding like a British band flugelhorn, I imagine that's possible if the flugelhorn uses a shallow mouthpiece while the WT has a very deep one, but it is not necessarily so. Any video of Arturo Sandoval using the horn, or audio tracks of Dan MacMillion (as heard on Flip's website) underscore the horn's versatility.

Brian

Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybobb wrote:
Bill Blackwell wrote:
. ... And since the WT line is made by Kanstul at the Kanstul factory and largely based off of Kanstul instruments (having owned several, I am very familiar with them), knowing and understanding the technical differences should help me decide if a particular WT might be worth a purchase.

Well if that's the case, just ask Kanstul at the factory what the differences are that you feel are cryptic from Flip. No acclimation period will be needed then.

Been there, done that. The good folks at Kanstul are there to sell Kanstuls - and cannot and/or will not discuss the accolades of other brand names produced there under someone else’s specs.

Flip Oakes has enough respect (and history with Kanstul) and regard in the music industry to earn my trust – even if he exercises his right not to discuss the intricacies of his product. He says the WT instruments are not ‘redesigned’ or rebadged Kanstuls – that must mean they’re not ‘redesigned’ or rebadged Kanstuls.

I have a particular interest in the flugelhorn. Sooner or later, I will give it a try.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Shofar Guy! I would say you are the biggest Wild Thing Fan out there.
What I want is two new "wooden" mutes for my cornet. I've written to both Filp and Facet mutes and haven't heard from either of them yet. You can order Facet (is that name correct?) on the web. But they don't mention fitting the Wild Thing Bell. I read that they do make them to fit perfectly on special order. But how do you order them when they won't answer your email?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: