• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing vs Kanstul:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think being 81 was a barrier, as I probably play better now then ever. I have less wind, but my Accordion Finger's have finally learned three valves well. So my technique is quite good. I can always stop for a breath. The thing is I am perceived as an old goat, by those who can't blow their noses. Even some of the directors (there are three of them) know I have a graduate degree in instrumental music, but instead of them saying ahh he must be pretty good. They get jealous. Typical of musicians.
ps I saw someone asking $2800 for a gold Lawler Model T. I'll sell mine with a $300 case, mutes, and an Osmun Brass valve adjustment for $2500. Total list price was $4300. I don't play it any more, since I got the Wild Thing. If you're interested, email me at RonEvie@aol.com It's like new!
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron,

Congratulations to you for playing in your eighth decade of life. I pray that I can do the same. I play Flip’s Wild Thing Bb trumpet, Flugelhorn, and short-belled cornet with the copper bell and lead pipe. My only wish is that I could have owned these horns thirty years ago. I have never enjoyed playing more, and I have played more since purchasing my first Wild Thing horn. If today I were forced to sell two of these horns, I would keep the cornet. This is simply an amazing horn in every way. Of course the thought of selling either of the other two makes me ill, so I’m not going to mention that again.

In answer to your question, “Which one should I keep”? I would keep them all. As you know, Roy is no longer making trumpets, so this horn will only increase in value, and the only thing better than one Wild Thing horn is two. If I had the additional resources, I would purchase a few more Flip Oakes horns. Someday they will only be available used.

-1957Tim
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ron, and don't worry about getting old and playing an occasional 2nd part at 81. The powers that be might put the 90-something Doc on third, right? LOL

Play for yourself, and for how it feels when those endorphins are released. Play for how it makes you feel, and others who appreciate a fine trumpet player. I wouldn't want to part with any of my Wild Things or my other Flip Oakes horns (C trumpet and Bb Celebration trumpet).

Like you, I've played mine for years and every time I pull any of them out I'm amazed at how the play, and how much more I've enjoyed them than any other horns since I started on the horn with a long cornet in 1961.

I guess I've said more often than any other that my favorite of all is my short model Wild Thing cornet, but maybe it is because its much shorter length from the face gives the player much more player feedback in any size room (including the practice room).

Then again, my first one was a WT trumpet and it has been my go-to-trumpet for soooo long now, more than any horn I've ever owned at over 17 years and counting now.

Then again, I've been having this "secret" love affair for my youngest trumpet lately and that wonderful gold-plated WT trumpet has mainly stayed at home, and mostly in the safe . . . so AVOID playing a "Celebration" at all costs. It plays just as well, and has a different focus and sweetness of its own that I'm enjoying on gigs and in the "Man Cave."

I'm glad you are still feeling well and playing well in your 80s. That is so awesome! I hope to make it that long and be doing the same! All the best, Tom
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion Ron -- Congrats on the new horn!

Tom -- The Celebration is about the only horn of Flip's I don't own. Pretty sure I hate you, let me think a minute... Yup.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I hate it when someone hates me. I've always been one to do anything to make things right, but I just realized that's not true.

I ain't gonna give up my Celebration . . . you'll just have to hate away. Of course, there's a cure for your hate, if you are ready to understand why I love this horn so! LOL

Actually, I've had it now since almost the time they made their debut. Flip sent one of the first batch around quietly for evaluation and when it got to me I liked it so much I wrote and told him I didn't need another horn but it was too incredible to let go. I passed it around to a couple of seasoned pros for their opinion . . . and I couldn't get it back. He said, "Get another one, for I'm buying this one. PERIOD! Indeed he did, and in five years or so I've never seen his early Elkhart Strads that he bought new!

I then ordered another one from Flip for myself, but it didn't quite have the "magic" of that first Celebration, which was "just a random sample off the shelf on purpose for the evaluation." Mouthpiece to receiver slight differences can do this of course. AND that second one was STILL an incredible horn.

FAST FORWARD TO THIS YEAR . . . Now the Celebration is suddenly not just a great horn but as "magical" as my adored Wild Thing. The focus, core and a bit more "compact" sound are different though, more like some of my favorites of the past such as the early Benges such as a 5X, and/or a Bach 72. It is a very pleasing sound behind and in front of its bell indeed. The only change was a mouthpiece interface.

I'd recently been having fun playing a mouthpiece that's now almost raw brass for the SECOND time . . . a real Benge mouthpiece from the very early LA period I used when I bought a 3X brand new in the early '70s while a military trumpeter. I popped it into the Celebration and thought, "wow." It turned an awesome trumpet into . . . well . . . something that causes SOME people evidently to hate! LOL

I took the combo down to Florida a couple of weekends ago to play a very high-brow garden wedding at the premier spot in a large city. She was a "second-generation bride," for the wanted the same trumpeter and the same entrance song (Vivaldi in D) for the bride that her parents had in the '80s. I used my D trumpet at that time in an Episcopal church. This time it would be a lone trumpet, in an outdoor courtyard. I felt the Bb Celebration would give exactly the sound I wanted for that piece and location, and it did.

It was catered by a large team from the most famous chef in that city and the top (expensive) photography/video team were there to do their magic. I was stunned later at the multiple, unsolicited comments about my playing afterwards from the wedding pros who make their living doing these type of society events. The horn indeed sounded fabulous, and I felt total confidence in playing it, like with all of Flip's creations.

Try one out sometime and get cured of your hate just understand, I had zero desire or intention to get another trumpet when I accepted the request to test that early Celebration. That changed when I played it for sure! Sometimes it is better to be hated than to hate!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Tom.

I haven't tried one; can't afford another right now and like you I am sure it would never go back to Flip if I had one in my hands.

Glad to see you posting again BTW. - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: