• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why is there a "HONEYMOON" with a MPC?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad yes perception is huge!!!! The problem is perception is that it often has little to no bearing on facts or reality. Human can change their perception of a thing 180 degree's with no change of facts in the matter at all. When modifying a horn one of the problems is the fact that the human playing said horn has the ability to total change how he is driving the horn based on any changes in feed back the modification has created. So sometimes it is hard to know if the modification made the change we hear or if the modification merely changed the feed back the player is getting and thus how the player is now driving the horn. This is why we need more testing with standards and quantifiable testing and recording equipment with regards to data not just audio. You can never have anything like a repeatable set of law's like we have every single area of science and technology with out clear definitions, clear data, clear testing standards. Unlike the false reality some people would like to have their can not be multiple truth with regard to instrument design the the science of why a horn does what it does.

Until you have the above the best you can have is basically " nothing matter's trumpets could be built with wooden box valves and have clay or animal bells and play and sound the same as they do today. Obviously we all know that is false and that a lot of things matter's. You cannot have it both ways though. Either something is true and always matter's and is best practice or it is false or not at all best practice. The false idea of " It is all good and is different for everyone is a lie!" luckily for all of us we the human computer operating the trumpet has the amazing and I do mean amazing ability to adapt to what ever we have at hand. I dare say the most "expert" person on this site would not like it if a week before some major show I handed them the same model of Cornet Clarke played and the same MP. Most of them would think it was the biggest pile of junk ever but they would not utter a bad word about Clarke.

Reality and Popular Opinion are seldom the same and also the truth is also usually not what popular opinion says it is either.

The biggest problem on this site and in this industry is that people do not record their knowledge on a subject in a book and pass it on for the entire world like we do in Medicine, Engineering, Most all area;s of science and industry! The few books on this subject are older then dirt and not at all up to date or all inclusive or even close to it. This is why it always comes down to the silly moving line in the sand where their is nothing remotely like a fact or an absolute.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's little doubt in my mind that the lips morph into the gear we settle on. Certain parts get firm, other get supple. When we initially make a change it's altogether reasonable that some parts of the lip vibrate differently and need to be supported differently. After a short while the lips will adapt to the new paradigm, sometimes cancelling some or all of the perceived differences.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: