• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recording Setup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex911

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Recording Setup? Reply with quote

Hi, first of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area...

I was wondering how to get a decent home studio type setup? I currently ONLY have a Shure SM57, and would like to work with that mic, since I've heard good things about it. I was wondering what else I need to make it sound professional?
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Equipment: Other Toys Reply with quote

You may want to poke around in "Equipment: Other Toys". I have been learning about USB mics there. As usual, TH'rs have been very helpful.
Jim
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want to hear how you sound, the Shure may be a decent choice but you will need a good soundcard as well.

An USB mic plugged directly in an USB port on your computer may work well too.

But if what you want is to begin building your own home studio, a good soundcard and a condenser or ribbon mic are a much better option!

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an idea how much studio to get, you have to determine what your goals are? Are you recording your practices and just evaluating your performance and tone or are you looking to do serious music production?

Your post tells me you have a mic and a computer, probably with speakers attached. You need to get a preamp to allow you mic to send the right level signal to your computer, assuming your computer has a stereo (i.e. 2-channel) LineIn jack. Preamps go anywhere from $100 to $3000. Mixing boards also have preamps, and can be found for $80 to hundreds of thousands, so lots of choices there.

If your speakers/monitoring chain suck, your output probably will too, so getting decent speakers and headphones helps you make better sonic decisions.

Finally, good software will let you accomplish all sorts of sonic manipulations. I recommend Reaper, since it is uncrippled shareware and comes with a ton of extras. Recent threads in this group discuss other options.

Once you have the basic setup, it really comes down to using the gear, getting experience with your tools, figuring out where you setup can be improved, and getting those improvements.

Hope this helps.

- Paul
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex,

There is some good info in these threads:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111421&highlight=

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108795&highlight=

-A
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For practice recording I prefer a simple field recorder like the Zoom H2. For "real" recording I much prefer a medium or large diameter condenser over the Shure 57. The 57/58 share the same capsule and I just don't like the midrange hump in either. It works for vocals, but to me gives trumpet a sound a little too bright/brassy/obnoxious.

You can get a decent inexpensive mic and USB preamp for perhaps $200 (m-audio preamp and AKG or other condenser mic). Reaper or some inexpensive SW will get you going from there.

All IMO - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: