• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Plateaus in progressing through SA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathgeek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Plateaus in progressing through SA Reply with quote

I have been working through SA for about a year now. The first six months were wasted messing around with a new embouchure that I never did get working. The last six months I have been seeing my playable range increase about a step from Eb to F above high C. On the part two exercises, I usually top off (squeak) at double A. Low end bottoms out at triple pedal Eb or D.

I am happy with my progress to date. All aspects of my playing improving, but I have been stuck at this range ceiling now for over a month. For those who have really made SA work, did you experience plateaus like this and what did you do to work through them? Did you suddenly explode through one day and never look back or was it more of a gradual process long plateaus in between?
acatrp61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Mathgeek,

Just out of curiosity, are you studying with a CG certified teacher? Or even someone who had studied with Claude? I only ask because there may be something you aren't doing correctly. Even a few lessons with either Bruce Haag, Eric Bolvin, Jeff Purtle, or John Mohan could make a big difference in HOW you are going about getting these routines done.
The great thing is that you can accomplish this via Skype. Heck, 1 lesson with the right info could save you a LOT of wasted time!

Hope this helps,
Ed
mathgeek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I am studying with Jeff Purtle. He is guiding me through a lot more than just the SA exercises. I was curious what others who have gone through this process have experienced is all.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was "a gradual process long plateaus in between" for me.

And that's a good thing. Once you get there you'll appreciate it all that much more, and you'll appreciate the fact that other lazier types won't be following you. Imagine if everybody could have a strong Double C (or even a strong G above High C) in just a few months! Yech!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: