• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Underused partials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Underused partials Reply with quote

Are there any horns on which one could play in tune the partial sitting between G and C above staff? I guess that would work on a Firebird, a horn with a quarter-tone fourth valve, or a horn with an extra tune-every-note slide.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you just slide off the pitch center it will not likely slot nicely but that should no tmatter. When you bend notes you are getting into freq. that technically are not recognized as notes. I have seen people use their third slide and main slide in a manner similar to a trombone slide to slide off pitch center on purpose. I used to do a lot of this on Euphonium and tuba for some reason it is much easier to roam around on larger bore instruments. Not sure why. When you start to do this though you will not be able to fit it nicely into a chromatic series so you will have to kind of figure out how you want to play around with it. I used to treat this type of playing more like playing a percussion instrument where the sound and the rhythm matter more then technical accuracy. I hope I understood you properly and answered you in a way that makes sense. If you practice long tones off pitch center you will get so used to having to hold it on ptich with out it slotting that you will not have any problem doing it on command..... Then you can slur down through all the notes hitting all the sounds in between the notes in the chromatic series you are slurring through. That is about the closest you can get to a slide trombone or slide saprano trumpet with out actually having one.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd to have to skip a perfectly usable partial - it would serve as a nice building block when stretching your scale from G to C above staff. If it was possible to use a gizmo slide to shorten the tubing by less than quartertone, or lower by more than a quartertone, the partial would be in tune. There are other partials above that also fall in-between.

"Detuning" a note by lip bends is indeed possible but unfortunately does not produce a resonant tone.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some of us we are able to play a every half step with open fingerings. It is a matter of having your aperture so focused that it the horn just amplifies what you are putting out.

Anyways, Bb under c above the staff can be done with no fingerings.

Alternate fingerings work well too, such as using 2 for C# above the staff.

It's all about resonance and what scale degree in the chord for what I will decide on using. I normally err on less tubes in use the easier. (3 instead of 1 and 2) Germans' school of thought used to employ that on e's and a's in the staff as well. (German fingerings)

I once heard a story about Mike Vax that involved him playing a trumpet in a restaurant I believe and then they took his mouthpiece away and he played it without the mouthpiece---just as loud!

A focused embouchure can do a lot and there's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

Have fun with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: