• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two Important points!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acatrp61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Two Important points! Reply with quote

Greetings,

I just wanted to make a couple of points that may be a no brainer to pro's, or those who have done Claude's routines for years, but may not be clear to younger players:

1. Its VITAL to play these routines daily! Only when I do them daily do I develop the long line ability and strength. For years I was spotty about doing them, giving myself excuses to miss days.....and then wondering why I wasn't making the progress I wanted. Yes, we get tired, but if you just follow through with it, perhaps practicing a little earlier if you need extra time to rest before a gig. It can be done, just don't expect it to always be easy!
2. I notice when I am heavily involved with the routines and do not practice music later on, that when I do get to the gig, I often times just obsess about my chops instead of thinking about the music. Don't fall for this trap! Make sure you practice some real music at some point in the day. At least listen to great Trumpet music and concentrate on it. Often times I play much better on a gig if I've just listened to something inspiring.
Again, this may be obvious to some, but good to clarify nontheless......
Cheers!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points, especially the first one. I find myself guilty of not adhering to the first point too often, sometimes for years at a time. The only time in my life I've gotten into the Double High C and above range consistently (I was topping out as high as G above Double C in Systematic Approach) happened to be the time when I spent about 4 or 5 months ALWAYS playing my routine each day without exception.

I think the old saying "one step forward, one step back" definitely applies to sporadic practice habits.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
PieterS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On other thing I found to be very important is to rest as long as you play during the exercises. I have had times that I did play all exercises every day but felt that I didn't improve anymore and felt tired and sore. Looking back I think I rushed through the exercises and didn't rest longer than a few seconds between the exercises. Nowadays I use a stopwatch and never get tired anymore from the exercises and am improving again.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PieterS wrote:
On other thing I found to be very important is to rest as long as you play during the exercises. I have had times that I did play all exercises every day but felt that I didn't improve anymore and felt tired and sore. Looking back I think I rushed through the exercises and didn't rest longer than a few seconds between the exercises. Nowadays I use a stopwatch and never get tired anymore from the exercises and am improving again.

Totally agree! I just play the exercise over in my head and if it's Clarke I pound the valves during my rest. Some of the alternate fingerings on Clarke kill me so I can use the extra practice!

I find when I am practicing SA correctly that on a gig or concert, I get tired but after I rest, even just for a couple bars, I come back strong again. Maybe practicing correctly helps recovery? Not sure but I LIKE IT!

Bill Hall and I have a saying..... "This is the word of Claude! Thanks be to Claude!" Sorry, I hope I have not offended any Catholics in the forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: