• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I have no range. :(

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out The Modern Jazz Trumpet Method:
http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications7.html

Works on your fundamentals (including range) while enhancing your improv chops. Easy to follow format so you can be systematic in your practice and improve. Available in pdf so no shipping charge.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AlexA15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonalan wrote:
AlexA15 wrote:
The harmony's and scales & modes are fine I know all of them more or less perfectly as well as 7 theory.

All of them, huh? Sorry, it cracks me up when I hear people say this. Just curious, how many scales do you think there are?

Well the 12(15) major, and the 12(15) minor - Currently I've done a few modes (diatonic, pentatonic etc.) but I still have a fair amount to go.
Vincent Bach 3C
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLA trumpet professor Jens Lindemann speaking on practicing the trumpet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=913zl_dY7TM&feature=related
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexA15 wrote:
jonalan wrote:
AlexA15 wrote:
The harmony's and scales & modes are fine I know all of them more or less perfectly as well as 7 theory.

All of them, huh? Sorry, it cracks me up when I hear people say this. Just curious, how many scales do you think there are?

Well the 12(15) major, and the 12(15) minor...

You're leaving out a few (hundred), but that's OK, you're just in 7th grade. You still have lots of time to learn more (or learn that there are more).
Michael Drapp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was your age I was playing around 6 hours each day and wished that I could play more! It seemed to me that I was always on my horn and it must have driven my parents nuts

I found the Claude Gordon method books absolutely fantastic for building up my range and endurance. A year playing his daily techniques will give you the range that you need and then some. Do a lot of pedal notes followed by slurs up to double high C (you will be able to do this after about a year). Strike the valves hard and blow with all that you have because when you play lead you are going to need plenty of air, speed and dexterity.

For fun, after a hard/concentrated practice session (3 hours) you might try the various "play along" CD's that have the method books included with them. You can learn jazz and blues improvisation and get pretty comfortable with the changes and different scales. I used to just put Maynard on my record player when I was your age and just try to wail along with him; ditto for other players that I respected. I learned a lot about technique during these "sessions"
Leonel Leon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arban book might seem like it isn't much fun, I felt the same when I was first told to get one... I thought it was just a bunch of hard pieces that would make a lot of trumpet players struggel. That was 7th grade now I am in 11th, and the stuff in the book is fun. It is more challanging then the boring pieces in class and once you learn how to handel the pieces in there they are just a wonder to play and all of the solos inquire so much of what you learn in the book. After you feel great that you can play through stuff that once made you struggle. After you have learned the basics and get a firm hold on them playing will be more fun then it is you'll enjoy everything besides pomp and circumstance. Which I think drives everyone crazy.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Drapp wrote:
... blow with all that you have ...

Not sure I agree with that one.

Quote:
... after a hard/concentrated practice session (3 hours) ...

A 3 hour practice session??? I'm hoping you break that into several shorter sessions and not one, long 3-hour straight session. That would be counter-productive.
AlexA15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recommend the Allen Vizzuti Trumpet Method, Book 1: Technical Studies? I just purchased it in hope of improvement of my range and overall ability.
Vincent Bach 3C
Dave2126

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert Alex, just a struggling intermediate trumpet player, but I have been using the Allen Vizzuti Trumpet Method, Book 1 at the recommendation of my private instructor. It's been helpful with many aspects of my playing, including range. The long tone studies at the beginning of this book were very helpful with my tone. There's really a wealth of material, and it's interesting.
I'm also using Vizzuti's Book 3, Melodic Studies. It's a real pleasure to use as Vizzuti writes so well.
trumpetingbynature

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: "I Have No Range :(" Reply with quote

Dear Alex:

First of all, two hours per day of practice is pretty good for a young man.

But if you really want to pursue trumpet playing at a conservatory level, you'll want to gradually increase that time to 4-5 hours per day.

There are many things you can do to make practicing more fun: Jamey Aebersold's CDs are one, Rich Willey's etudes/duets are another (www.boptism.com), Chase Sanborn also has some great stuff out there, and the Vizzutti and Sandoval books are recent excellent additions to trumpet repertoire.

Range development comes from proper use of the body and your air support (it's actually not hard to play high---usually if you are struggling with this it's because you are 1. Overblowing (using too much air for your lips to resist) 2. Using too much pressure (pressing to get higher never works for very long and can seriously injure the lips) 3. Not using enough core/body support (you should pull up and in with the tummy when you blow, as if coughing or throwing up for very high or loud notes) 4. Not using a properly matched mouthpiece/horn combination 5. Not working with your natural "playing arc" or the connection between your chops and the horn (or some combination of the above).

If you like, I'd be happy to do a SKYPE session for you to help you figure out what you could be doing better.

Let me know what time would work for you (and please adjust the time, since I'm on the East Coast of the USA, and there is a time difference between us).

Blessings,
Jeanne
www.instrumentalchange.org
TPIN's Chop Doc
Author of "Trumpeting, By Nature"
www.outskirtspress.com/jeannegpocius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexA15 wrote:
Would you recommend the Allen Vizzuti Trumpet Method, Book 1: Technical Studies? I just purchased it in hope of improvement of my range and overall ability.

I frequently recommend the Vizzutti books because I found them uniquely helpful before I found my way to private lessons. I don't think they are a magic bullet for range and endurance but they seemed to do a better job of touching all the bases and making me an all-around better player.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: "I Have No Range :(" Reply with quote

trumpetingbynature wrote:
Dear Alex:

First of all, two hours per day of practice is pretty good for a young man.

But if you really want to pursue trumpet playing at a conservatory level, you'll want to gradually increase that time to 4-5 hours per day.

There are many things you can do to make practicing more fun: Jamey Aebersold's CDs are one, Rich Willey's etudes/duets are another (www.boptism.com), Chase Sanborn also has some great stuff out there, and the Vizzutti and Sandoval books are recent excellent additions to trumpet repertoire.

Range development comes from proper use of the body and your air support (it's actually not hard to play high---usually if you are struggling with this it's because you are 1. Overblowing (using too much air for your lips to resist) 2. Using too much pressure (pressing to get higher never works for very long and can seriously injure the lips) 3. Not using enough core/body support (you should pull up and in with the tummy when you blow, as if coughing or throwing up for very high or loud notes) 4. Not using a properly matched mouthpiece/horn combination 5. Not working with your natural "playing arc" or the connection between your chops and the horn (or some combination of the above).

If you like, I'd be happy to do a SKYPE session for you to help you figure out what you could be doing better.

Let me know what time would work for you (and please adjust the time, since I'm on the East Coast of the USA, and there is a time difference between us).

Blessings,
Jeanne

Great stuff! I got Jeanne's book and it was extremely helpful since I had alot of those problems with overblowing, pressure, and not using my natural "playing arc", etc. I would highly recommend a consult with her as she is one of the premier chop docs and be sure to get her book too and you will get on the right track for improved performance!
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "I Have No Range :(" Reply with quote

This looks like good advice, but I'm sure I don't understand part of it.

Dear Alex:
Range development comes from proper use of the body and your air support (it's actually not hard to play high---usually if you are struggling with this it's because you are 1. Overblowing (using too much air for your lips to resist)... 3. Not using enough core/body support (you should pull up and in with the tummy when you blow, as if coughing or throwing up for very high or loud notes)

Correct if I'm wrong, but this looks like you're saying that we'll struggle with range if we're blowing too hard or else not blowing hard enough.
trumpetingbynature

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either overblowing or not supporting the air sufficiently (with core muscles) can impede upper register playing.

Overblowing can inhibit the upper range by causing the lips to collapse because they are not strong enough to resist the airstream. Backing off on the QUANTITY/volume of air, and increasing the QUALITY/speed of the airstream will usually solve this issue.

And the airstream speed is controlled by the core muscles (upper abdominal and lower back muscles--yes the same muscles you develop by doing Pilates exercises or crunches).

so the quick answer to your question, percival, is "Yes"

Blessings,
Jeanne
www.instrumentalchange.org
TPIN's Chop Doc
Author of "Trumpeting, By Nature"
www.outskirtspress.com/jeannegpocius
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the airstream speed is controlled by the core muscles (upper abdominal and lower back muscles--yes the same muscles you develop by doing Pilates exercises or crunches).

And I'm finding jumping rope and sprinting are absolutely GREAT to develop these msucles...you can google a lot of information on this.

Also, Frank Campos recommends a Pilates derived exercise (I think) called 'The PLank Exercise'. Really fantastic for developing the whole core. Just work up with all these exercises gradually or you can have some bad playing days where you're endurance and range are down. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
jvrs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find something that motivates you!
AlexA15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practicing a lot over the course of these couple of months and I am proud to say that I am comfortably able to get D over C above the stave. I'd say its mainly down to the Vizzuti Trumpet Method Book - combining, lip flex, technical studies and range development.
Vincent Bach 3C
trumpet1256

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Lack of Range? Reply with quote

In order to create range, foundation practice must be developed. Once a routine is put into PRACTICE muscle memory and a mental focus are achieved. Don't be worried about range over night it will get there. Start out with some basic routines as in direction of a good teacher. Just my two cents guys!

Jon A.

Jupiter 1600i XO
GR 64Z
Bach 5c
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the airstream speed is controlled by the core muscles (upper abdominal and lower back muscles

The muscles involved in exhalation (and sometimes inhalation) control the pressure of the air.

Range (that is, a lack thereof) is NOT an air problem it is NEVER an air problem.

It is an embouchure problem.

Yes, backing off on the air pressure can give the embouchure a chance to develop when learning But ultimately the embochure of a developed player must be able to produce pitches for both loud dynamics and soft dynamics. Loud dynamics require more air pressure and soft require less. Range is not a function of air pressure and must be developed independent of it.

"Overblowing" as descibed in an above post is actually "embouchure underdevelopment".

The air pressure provided by an accomplished player that will yield a bold loud pitch may produce a poor tone from an underdeveloped player. The difference between the two is not the "blowing" but yet the tonal development via the embouchure.
CFieldville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, what you need is a mental overhaul. The best way for a kid your age and with your mental state is to come to the US and march World Class drum corps. This will teach you to overcome your lack in drive and just maybe you can pick up some range since a corps spends at least 3 hours a day on the fundamentals of brass playing.

You are international so it will be easy to find sponsorship becuase Drum Corps International wants to glorify the International aspect of the activity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: