• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the status of Calicchio these days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
What was the question, again?

OK: owning Calicchios from several stages in the company's history, I'll say it clearly: they're better now than they've ever been. The craftsmanship is exceptional. John's making better bells than ever before, and I have no idea how he manages to do that. The attention to detail is much better. And the finishing is also superb - plating done in the same facility (Marcinkiewicz), lacquer not officially offered but I know the guy who does the lacquer work when it's demanded, and there's nobody any better even if it does add time and expense to the process to use someone outside the shop.

As much as the Tulsa instruments were significant improvements over their predecessors, the Canby ones are even better. In all seriousness: anyone who wants a new Calicchio should act now.

I'll bet John's lead time to deliver a hand-made trumpet isn't as long as it would be if you ordered one of the Captain's legendary invisible creations.

Well, I originally added this part, but deleted it. Since you brought it up: I have been seriously thinking about getting another 1S/2 from John. Tweak a couple of things and use it as a back-up now and primary in the future....or vise-versa just so I have one for the remainder of my days. It IS that good of a horn.

Quick story: I play 'split-lead' (basically the assistant to the lead player who is very generous and gives me lots of prime time). He took off from a gig, but attended the rehearsal. I wanted him to hear a horn I was trying out. It played great and I loved the blow. During the middle of a chart I quickly changed horns to my 1S/2. I swear his head popped up, he turned around and smiled. Gave me a thumbs up and later told me to save my money. The 1S/2 killed it. Two other cats in the band commented on different occasions about the 'killer sound'...they didn't know what to call it, but it's the 'core' they were referring to. Can't argue with that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: