• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ebay or TH Market Place

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Ebay or TH Market Place Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I have something of an odd question here. For those of you with some experience selling on-line, do you prefer to sell on e-bay or here through the TH market place?

I have a couple of vintage somewhat sought after horns that I am looking to sell. I don't have much experience selling horns on-line, though buying is another story. Usually, if I have a horn to sell, I try to sell it to one of our local students, but I just can't quite bring myself to put either of these horns in the hands of a 15 year old.

As far as I can see, if I sell here on TH, the greatest advantage would be making fairly certain the horn went into the hands of someone who would really appreciate it, followed by not having to play price games on e-bay, ie setting the right buy it now price or reserve or whatever to attract buyers without getting burned.

I realize however, that selling on e-bay would give exposure to a much wider audience which would increase the potential of finding a buyer. I've also never sold on e-bay before so I'm a little uncertain.

Does anyone have any insights as to selling a horn, either on e-bay or in the market place they would like to share?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Bruno Walter
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take good pictures, provide a good description, and ask a little more than you would take to leave room for negotiation.

Leave it posted on TH for a while, then list it again with a slightly lower price. If it doesn't sell the second time, go to eBay.
Bb - Bach 37 #0XXX
C - Bach NY 229 25H #1
Eb/D - Schilke E8L #90210
Piccolo - Schilke P51 (custom 1 valve)
MPS - Bach - 1X 19 throat 117 backbore
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay has a much bigger audience. Our members are trumpet oriented but... look at the forums. The majority of postings come from a very, very, small number of participants. Probably not many browsing the ads, either, and if they're browsing here they've probably checked the bay first.

ebay also has a good deal of protection for the buyer while the marketplace has none. Those guarantees provide a confidence factor which results in people more willing to shell out the cash. ebay's is not a perfect system but at least there's SOME level of oversight.

Not sure if you noticed but one forum member recently complained he was being scammed in the marketplace. Many here encouraged him NOT to mention any names. Tough to have confidence in a marketplace with that sort of mindset in vogue. Now, you CAN get a good idea of who your dealing with around here but it takes a bit more time and effort.

The real benefit to the marketplace here is to the seller. there are no fees while ebay fees are getting ridiculous. They've raised the sales charge, they nick you on the PayPal fees and now they even gouge you on shipping by forcing the seller to pay commissions on out-of-pocket shipping expenses! No big deal on a mouthpiece, but sell a pricey trumpet, pack it the RIGHT way and insure it for full value and that adds up pronto.
entrancing1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider posting on craigslist. No fees to pay, and some folks will do a national search of craisglist using search tempest. You can accept payments through paypal or you may find a localbuyer interested in your horns.
Old's (many) Trumpets, and cornets, Yamaha 668 and King Eroica French horns, King Liberty, Conn, 40A 40B, Conn 80A, Buescher 400 cornet and trumpet, model 9 and model 10-22 trumpets, Olds Flugelhorn, Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.
dadbob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ebay or TH marketplace Reply with quote

What is search tempest? How do you do that?
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay or TH Market Place Reply with quote

drboogenbroom wrote:
..., do you prefer to sell on e-bay or here through the TH market place?

I most often do both.

But I rarely sell anything as a result of it being listed here in the TH marketplace. In one case, after listing an instrument here - after two low-ball offers, I sold it in one day on eBay (for 20% more). I say this to point out it seems most marketplace buyers are bargain hunters.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who do sell in the marketplace - how do you transfer funds? Do you use PayPal or something else?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most buyers in the current environment seem to be reluctant these days, even for some top line instruments and rare instruments. I think the advice to try TH first, then ebay if you want to sell more quickly is pretty reasonable.

Regarding scams..get money in hand before shipping. "Money in hand" is cash, cleared check, paypal transfer for cash that has be put into your account, etc.
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay or TH marketplace Reply with quote

dadbob wrote:
What is search tempest? How do you do that?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=search+tempest
Bb - Bach 37 #0XXX
C - Bach NY 229 25H #1
Eb/D - Schilke E8L #90210
Piccolo - Schilke P51 (custom 1 valve)
MPS - Bach - 1X 19 throat 117 backbore
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Those who do sell in the marketplace - how do you transfer funds? Do you use PayPal or something else?

I use PayPal - I will not accept anything else.

Fees notwithstanding (as much as ~4%), it provides protection to both buyer and seller - and it's fast. It's not scam-proof, but it's about as good as it gets.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer TH Marketplace. Chances are I know or know of the buyer. When I sold my stable a couple years ago I did it here. Tip top dollar was not an issue. Fair price was, and seeing that my beauties got a good home.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
Most buyers in the current environment seem to be reluctant these days, even for some top line instruments and rare instruments. I think the advice to try TH first, then ebay if you want to sell more quickly is pretty reasonable.

Regarding scams..get money in hand before shipping. "Money in hand" is cash, cleared check, paypal transfer for cash that has be put into your account, etc.

Cleared check means cleared on the issuer's side not the deposit side. This is the trick used by people who forge cashier's checks. It will clear the depositing bank but a week later will be rejected by the issuing bank. And the depositor is responsible for refunding the bank.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY good point made by 'Rusty!

I have had success with both websites, and used them for different reasons. If it's a horn I don't expect will fetch a great price and make it worth the hassle of ebay, I go with TH. And I have *only* responded to and dealt with TH members that have a long history at TH with a reputation worth losing. Always look into post history of people you buy or sell from in an unprotected site like TH.

I have also bought on craigslist long distance. In that case, there was a lot of back and forth emailing and googling other person's name, etc. where I had a very comfortable sense that I was dealing with a legitimate, genuine person. Good grammar, polite discourse, promptly sent requested extra photos obviously taken at a home, and not grabbed from a website, some personal details shared by both parties, etc.

I only go to ebay if I know what it's worth, know it will be a decent price, and know there is enough demand that there is a decent possibility of a feeding frenzy to bump the price even higher than I might hope. I.e., if I know there will be enough price and interest to make it worth the PITA that is ebay. I still always hold my breath until a buyer has left feedback. Not b/c I misrepresent things (quite the opposite), but as you see on some TH threads, there are prima donas out there who want a refund b/c, although you photoed the big dents, you failed to point out the scratch on the bell (or whatever stupid stuff ijots who buy used goods get upset about).

Also... if OP wants to sell on ebay, make sure you have a history of having sold stuff that potential bidders can check up on... not just a purchase-only history. YOU WILL NOT GET TOP DOLLAR selling for first time on ebay. Put it on the back burner, and get some experience selling some other stuff first, so you know how to navigate the system, setup paypal invoices, estimate shipping costs, and receive feedback indicating you are a good seller.

Good luck!
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer selling here at TH; I like the community (for the most part).

I prefer PayPal for the protection - both to myself and to the buyer.

For specialty (and some vintage) horns, however, I've done better on Ebay. For instance... I recently sold a lovely solid silver belled Reynolds cornet (with gold filigree). It languished here at TH for a couple of weeks - then sold on Ebay for more $$ within 12 hours.

I dislike many things about Ebay/PayPal, but it does have a larger forum for specialty horns to my way of thinking. The fees, though, can negate the benefit of its greater selling power to me.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH Marketplace for selling, either here or Ebay (or other sources) for buying. I've sold more than a few horns here and never had a bad experience. I always require a USPS money order, then send the horn at my expense with the stipulation that if the buyer isn't completely satisfied they can pay return shipping/ins and I'll refund their money, no questions asked. (Never have had to do this, btw.) I also state that there'll be no re-negotiating if they aren't happy or think I misrepresented the horn in any way- either keep it or return it. Most of what I sell/buy is at least pro grade and in good shape and usually fairly appealing to trumpet heads around here.

FWIW- the USPS money order is dead-bang solid. The purchaser must lay out cash at the post office to buy one so there's no question that it is good. It may keep credit card people from buying but I'd rather not see people go into debt (or further) just to buy a new tool (or toy) from me that they may or may not need. As for to whom I'd sell, since I have no way of controlling the next buyer after my sale, so long as they meet the requirements (money), they can have it. In the burbs one encounters Bach Strads and Buffet R13s in the 6th grade fairly regularly.

If you have problems with a buyer down there, just sic one of them-thar aliens on 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: