• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 generational differences?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Bach 37 generational differences? Reply with quote

I recently "accidentally" acquired a 1973 vanilla 37. It was my first "stock" 37. When I got it cleaned up it looked like it came out of a time capsule. Everything working like new.

Last night the kid who sits next to me played my horn vs his pre strike 37 (I'm guessing built somewhere after 2000). I was actually quite surprised by the sound difference. Both horns had similar core but his horn seemed quite a bit brighter than mine. I really expected much more similarity in sound.

Is a darker sound something that one should expect from a 37 of a '73 vintage? Or is the darker sound unique to my instrument? FWIW my horn does have the original brass valve guides, while his has plastic.

Thanks,
Stanton
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that most early Elkharts have a darker core to the sound, in general, than later 37's. The brightest I've tried are the newer "True Bach" ones. Very even, great intonation, not at all dissimilar to the old New York 6/6's in blow and sound. Some early Elks get wonky, but sound amazing.

ed
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a '72 Strad that I purchased while in high school. I own a 2003-2004 Strad that I purchased for my son. I own a 2009 Strad that I purchased for myself.

To the best of my ability, and I don't play professionally at this time in my life, they all play identical when the gap is equalized.

But I did play test a number of Bachs before choosing the latter two, so that might account for why they play identical.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Both horns had similar core but his horn seemed quite a bit brighter than mine. I really expected much more similarity in sound.

Why? They're different horns. I think the only particular in the "era" is that the metal has relaxed over time and probably sounds warmer. But if you had another one from '72 it would sound different.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some SPECIMENS of a specific make and model of a horn, even made on the same day, can sound quite different. It's just the way it is.

Throw time and aging variations into the equation . . .
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two best 37s I've played were a Mt Vernon and a pre-strike horn. I once owned a 1974 37 that was indeed darker, and much stuffier than either the Mt Vernon or the pre-strike 37. I wish I'd bought the pre-strike horn. It was sweet.

Items I would look into with your two 37s:
  • My 1974 valve block was a little smaller (valves closer to each other) than my Bach Chicago C, so I'm guessing the valve blocks on your two 37s might be a little different.
  • Valve casings used to be two piece with nickel plated tops. Sometime in the 70s they went to all-brass.
  • The bell bow may be slightly different between the two.
  • The tuning slide might be a bit more square or flatter through the flat section on the newer horn.
  • I seem to recall some titdbit about the bell bead having a brass rod during one period and a steel rod during another. I could be hallucinating about that one.
  • The shape of the bell bead is likely different. More V shaped on the later horn. Rounder on the 70s horn. Might have some relationship to the previous point.
  • Might want to check the weight of the two horns. My guess is they are slightly different.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
The two best 37s I've played were a Mt Vernon and a pre-strike horn. I once owned a 1974 37 that was indeed darker, and much stuffier than either the Mt Vernon or the pre-strike 37. I wish I'd bought the pre-strike horn. It was sweet.

I got to play a buddies gold plated Mt V 37... One of the best horns I've every played.

This horn is not stuffy at all. It blows more open than my Schilke B1. This one feels heavier than the Laskey converted 37 which was an 1981 model, as I recall, but after playing the B1 for almost a year it could be my imagination. This 37 is MUCH more flexible and open, with an easier upper register than my Laskey was.

Quote:
Items I would look into with your two 37s:[list][*]My 1974 valve block was a little smaller (valves closer to each other) than my Bach Chicago C, so I'm guessing the valve blocks on your two 37s might be a little different.

The same kid with the 37 also has a "new" Chicago C. I would anticipate the valve blocks are different as you can't use old valve caps on the new horns. I don't remember if the threads or diameter or both are different, but we were surprised that we couldn't test heavy caps on his C. I would be interested to know if you have the same issue. The valve block on my 37 has the same 68mm width as my 229 (1981), so I suspect this isn't the issue.

The only thing that I think could make *some* difference is that in 73 they were using brass valve guides, which in my experience makes a huge difference in response and focus.

Thanks for your reply.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said all that about the Mt Vernon and the pre-strike horns being the best I've played, it could be a random occurrence that I happened upon two really good examples from those particular eras. It is likely that there are many very good examples from all eras.
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Horn Plays Different
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Items I would look into with your two 37s:

Bore obstruction
valve alignment
mpc gap

Get those right and you've got a good sample. It's still gonna play and sound different than another sample.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree horns play different. heck out Bach Loyalist or Daves page for some of the differences over the year's.

I prefer to look at them from th time Bach labeled the first trumpet Stradavarius until today.

Things ahve changed from year to year..........

Bell bow bend geometry many time.

Valve assembly used vary a lot since Bach used many different valve suppliers.

Tuning slide geometry so much so that some years will not interchange at all.

Changed geometry, spacing,bracing and conventional versus revered set up on the other tuning slides.

Thickness of tubing.

Thickness of bell.

Spacing between bore centers on the valve assemblies.

Cap weight and design.

Change in bracing locations.

Change in bracing designs.

Different length leadpipe.

Different length receiver's.

different guild materials.

That is just a short list you could go on for a long long long time.

On top of that two horns could be one digit apart in their serial number and have the same parts spec.'ed for them and both play rather differently.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. They brought up a lot of latent rememberances...

I think the weight of the bell might have the most to do with the sound difference. This horn feels a little on the heavy side, but I didn't play my friend's horn, so I don't have a recent reference. The other difference, I'm sure, are the brass valve guides.

I recall when I was studying with John Hagstrom some years back, I was surprised that my 229 was lighter than the other guys in my orchestra section, but about the same weight as his CSO issued 229. I think my 229 is roughly the same weight as the currently produced Chicago C's.

I don't think the geometry of the horn is anything out of the ordinary. I don't recall seeing much difference in bell bows or tuning slide crooks on the 37's. OTOH I haven't paid close attention either.

MP gap on Schilke M3 is .17". As a point of interest, the "wall" on the lead pipe is not the same thickness on all sides of the receiver. GR is similar at .141".

FWIW, this horn plays great. Plays open and resonant, but pretty dark (not a bad thing, necessarily). Still have to get used to the intonation nuances.

I'll have a better feel after rehearsal tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: