• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bay Area Trumpet repair post Dick Akright retirement?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing the loop Reply with quote

ENINCA wrote:
Hey all, just to close the loop on this thread...

He lapped my Mendez' valves into the casings while I waited and really took care to make sure they felt right.

So, I'm relieved that Best Instrument Repair is still my go-to shop. Ian made it very clear that he's not satisfied until I feel the work is perfect.

Lapped them in with what?

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Bill Ortiz posted on the herald. You and Jeff sound great together you guys are killin it.

I had several things done at Best Inst repair by the new kid, (Ugh I hate getting old) and did not have any issues. He is extremely nice and very competent from what I can tell. Being out in the valley the fewer bridges I have to cross the happier I am.

When I found out that Dick was not at the shop daily I was stopped in my tracks. I have known him for something like 40 years. My mom used to take me to the old shop to help carry band instruments that needed work. I never thought this would occur. I love that guy like family.

I still need to get a ride in with him. I will have to call him and set one up.

Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
ENINCA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Closing the loop Reply with quote

[quote="Brian Moon"] Lapped them in with what?[/quote]

With his tongue. How else do you lap something?

In all seriousness, that's obviously not my forte, but it took around 30 minutes and I didn't watch, but I imagine he has some kind of machine. He assured me the amount of material removed is extremely negligible and basically amounts to simulated use of the horn over a period of time. Anyway, I had a rehearsal last night and no valve issues whatsover. They feel great. I'm happy.

unrelated side note: how do you get HTML to activate on this site, I can never get things to format correctly.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my horn back from the 'new guy' at Best Instrument Repair. Although Dick isn't there day in and out ... I think Bryan did alright.

I sent my horn in for a valve job. They did all of the things you'd expect, ultrasonic cleaning, replated valves, replaced felts, corks and springs. After the valve job and alignment, the valves are fast, even and light. The horn plays like it must have when it was new. The job was done when it was promised the price was fair and the results exceeded what I'd expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: