• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Handcraft Imperial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Martin Handcraft Imperial Reply with quote

I've seen a couple somewhat conflicting serial number lists for Martin trumpets, so that is what generates this question.

The Trumpet Gearhead says:

"The Martin Handcraft Imperial was the top of the line until 1939. Upon the introduction of the Handcraft Committee (in 1939), the Imperial became a student grade horn".

Is the above mentioned Martin Handcraft Imperial a pro or student horn?

Thanks.

Last edited by Albuquerque Duke on Mon May 03, 2010 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as they never made a Handcraft Imperial student model? I don't know, just throwing this in the mix as a related question.
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as they never made a Handcraft Imperial student model? I don't know, just throwing this in the mix as a related question.

Right. That adds a bit to the confusion.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Martin Handcraft Imperial with Serial Number 130,000 Reply with quote

Albuquerque Duke wrote:
I've seen a couple somewhat conflicting serial number lists for Martin trumpets, so that is what generates this question.

The Trumpet Gearhead says:

"The Martin Handcraft Imperial was the top of the line until 1939. Upon the introduction of the Handcraft Committee (in 1939), the Imperial became a student grade horn".

Is the above mentioned Martin Handcraft Imperial a pro or student horn?

Thanks.
All the Handcraft Imperials that I have owned or seen, have been top of the line horns. Similarly, all non-Handcraft Imperials have certainly been of lesser quality and most accurately described as student level horns. The latter that I've seen or owned were from the late 40s to 60s. The Handcraft Imperials were pre-WWII.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Martin Handcraft Imperial with Serial Number 130,000 Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
Albuquerque Duke wrote:
I've seen a couple somewhat conflicting serial number lists for Martin trumpets, so that is what generates this question. The Trumpet Gearhead says: "The Martin Handcraft Imperial was the top of the line until 1939. Upon the introduction of the Handcraft Committee (in 1939), the Imperial became a student grade horn". Is the above mentioned Martin Handcraft Imperial a pro or student horn? Thanks.
All the Handcraft Imperials that I have owned or seen, have been top of the line horns. Similarly, all non-Handcraft Imperials have certainly been of lesser quality and most accurately described as student level horns. The latter that I've seen or owned were from the late 40s to 60s. The Handcraft Imperials were pre-WWII.

So, very simply, "Handcraft = Pro" Thanks for your help.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a few different "Handcraft" models... Symphony, Dansant and others. They were very typical of the day (1920s-30s) and not great players or very valuable. The HC Imperial was the last and best edition and plays very much like a HC Committee. I think the bell flare is similar and it certainly was a well built horn. I've had a few versions. Some were plain, no frills. Some had 3rd and main tuning slide stop rod assemblies. not sure if these were design changes or options. I had one.... well I wish I still had it.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
They made a few different "Handcraft" models... Symphony, Dansant and others. They were very typical of the day (1920s-30s) and not great players or very valuable.

Just to contribute with those who seek information about the Dansant in this forum: The Dansant is a GREAT player, specially with a proper short shank mouthpiece. With the stock Dansant mouthpiece (a Martin Elkhart, in my case), it plays very much in tune, and it makes you feel you don't miss the valve slide finger rings or triggers at all.
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree also that the Dasant is under rated as a player.
In fact just about anything Handcraft I have seen has been of excellent quality.
People get kinda hung up on is it a pro or is it a student horn thing.
I have Handcrafts (Standards, Dasants) Committee's and even Indiana's. All of them share a similar tonal quality - the differences are slight. In fact most of the parts interchange between all those horns to give you an idea of how similar (maybe not the dasants) they all are.
Those early handcraft models have pieces all stamped with serial numbers all matching the valve casing down to the 3 pronged valve guides - that says a lot about the attention to detail at that time.
If you can't find a good Handcraft Imperial try and find a nice Handcraft Standard - same horn no nickel trim pieces.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman wrote:
I agree also that the Dasant is under rated as a player.
In fact just about anything Handcraft I have seen has been of excellent quality.
People get kinda hung up on is it a pro or is it a student horn thing.
I have Handcrafts (Standards, Dasants) Committee's and even Indiana's. All of them share a similar tonal quality - the differences are slight. In fact most of the parts interchange between all those horns to give you an idea of how similar (maybe not the dasants) they all are.
Those early handcraft models have pieces all stamped with serial numbers all matching the valve casing down to the 3 pronged valve guides - that says a lot about the attention to detail at that time.
If you can't find a good Handcraft Imperial try and find a nice Handcraft Standard - same horn no nickel trim pieces.

That's right!!!
I also own a Handcraft Imperial which I got from Robb Stewart.
Both are great horns, with the Dansant being easier to play and the Imperial having a warmer and mellower tone.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to add to the confusion, but there's a Martin Imperial at the shop I work at that has no Handcraft engraved on it. It's 120xxx so it's 30's vintage, I guess.
The horn is gold-plated and the engraving is elaborate, obviously top of the line for its day.
I think they got up in the morning and went to work at the Martin factory and decided right then and there what they would call that day's model. (HA)
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple of the Symphony models, both were large bore and played like a Committee on downers. Both new owners of these rare pups are VERY happy. Amazing horns.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Had a couple of the Symphony models, both were large bore and played like a Committee on downers. Both new owners of these rare pups are VERY happy. Amazing horns

Speaking of those horns in particular if anyone has one that's not being used - I'd love to add one to my collection
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: