• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leon Merian's trumpet isometric book

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Leon Merian's trumpet isometric book Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have been looking for leon merian's book for a long time and I have not found a place where I can order it. Has anyone bought the book recently or does anyone know where I can find it. Thanks a lot.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Leon Merian's trumpet isometric book Reply with quote

pm sent

HornFreak wrote:
Hey guys, I have been looking for leon merian's book for a long time and I have not found a place where I can order it. Has anyone bought the book recently or does anyone know where I can find it. Thanks a lot.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
jazztone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for a copy of this book as well. If anyone has a copy they'd be willing to part with and sell, please let me know! Also if there is a scanned version available as an alternative.

Thanks,
Chris
1958 Olds Ambassador Cornet
shoreman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: trumpet isometrics Reply with quote

Chris, in back of my book there's an address that might be helpful. It says To order write to: Leon Merian, P.O. Box 14862, Bradenton, FL 34280-4862. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck! Al
jazztone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: trumpet isometrics Reply with quote

shoreman wrote:
Chris, in back of my book there's an address that might be helpful. It says To order write to: Leon Merian, P.O. Box 14862, Bradenton, FL 34280-4862. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck! Al

Thanks for the reply - Leon has actually passed away a few years ago and I believe that's why the book is out of print, but I appreciate you letting me know! I am looking for a scanned version as an alternative if you know any sources.

Thanks,
Chris
davelang838

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Leon died about three years ago. About four or five years ago, the Woodwind & The Brasswind had a bunch of copies they were selling cheap. They may have sold them all, but you might want to check with them
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy - if the book is indeed out of print, what would the copyright ramifications be of my releasing scanned copies?
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
MHSTPT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Leon Merian's Lip Isometrics Book Reply with quote

Chris,

As everyone has said, Leon passed away on August 22, 2007 at the age of 84. Bill Bridges wrote a wonderful book: Leon Merian, The Man Behind the Horn. That book is available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Leon-Merian-Man-Behind-Horn/dp/0970115407

Trumpet isometrics for sure is no longer in print. However, you might contact Brendan Crise, who used to work at Woodwind and Brasswind. His email is: brendo80@gmail.com.

Leon was my teacher for years leading up to publishing his Trumpet Isometrics book. I never got a copy of the finished version, mine is all handwritten in notebooks and music manuscript pages.

I know that Bruce Lee has a copy, as does Bill Bridges and a few others out there.

If someone is able to scan or copy the book for you, they will technically be violating copyright protections. However, since the book is out of print, I suppose that is about the only other alternative left.

Good luck,
jazztone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leon Merian's Lip Isometrics Book Reply with quote

MHSTPT wrote:
Chris,

As everyone has said, Leon passed away on August 22, 2007 at the age of 84. Bill Bridges wrote a wonderful book: Leon Merian, The Man Behind the Horn. That book is available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Leon-Merian-Man-Behind-Horn/dp/0970115407

Trumpet isometrics for sure is no longer in print. However, you might contact Brendan Crise, who used to work at Woodwind and Brasswind. His email is: brendo80@gmail.com.

Leon was my teacher for years leading up to publishing his Trumpet Isometrics book. I never got a copy of the finished version, mine is all handwritten in notebooks and music manuscript pages.

I know that Bruce Lee has a copy, as does Bill Bridges and a few others out there.

If someone is able to scan or copy the book for you, they will technically be violating copyright protections. However, since the book is out of print, I suppose that is about the only other alternative left.

Good luck,

Thanks all for your responses - much appreciated!

Chris
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I have a copy - if the book is indeed out of print, what would the copyright ramifications be of my releasing scanned copies?

Copyright lasts for 70 years past the death of the author, if I remember correctly. When the author dies, the copyright passes to his estate.

If a book is out of print, it is still illegal to reproduce it and distribute it without permission. Because the owner might decide to release it again. And even if he didn't, he (or the current holder) still has control over the publication of his own intellectual property.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. But the fact that copyright law frowns on distributing something even when it's out of print is something that I'm pretty comfortably certain of.

Disclaimer Part II: I'm not telling you DON'T copy it and quietly pass it along to a friend. I'm just answering the question. But I wouldn't put it out for general distribution.
tpttune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornFreak, I sent you a PM.

Randy
MHSTPT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percival and all: Your recitation of copyright laws is accurate. Leon's son, Leon, his widow and his estate in general would indeed benefit from the royalties and other sources of revenue afforded by new book sales. Unfortunately, I am not sure there is a template for Trumpet Isometrics that would allow for a new edition to be distributed. As I noted, photocopying any published work and, in this case, this particular book, is technically a violation of copyright law.

As the senior manager of a CPA firm, and possessed of an MBA, law school and thirty years as a business adviser, as well as a trumpet player, I am more than a little conversant with business law. More importantly, I have published books about the Business of Music and taught courses at various schools of music and to MBA and law students seeking to pursue a career in entertainment.

Fraser, too, has participated in our online netwrok, TPIN, with which many of you are familiar. We have had lengthy threads on copyright concerns and they are very important, because musicians truly need any income they can get their their hands on and legitimate sources such as royalties for previously written material or music is chief among them! Still, we are without recourse in this isolated instance. Therefore, I am not sure what other alternatives are available to us, other than otherwise allowing Leon's marvelous guidance to be lost to future generations.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark...

Why don't you (and maybe an all-star list of former students) get together and write a new book using your notes and anecdotal experiences being a student. Kinda like Geoff did with the Cat Anderson book.
MHSTPT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Jiarby/Glenn, I do believe you are what is referred to in the trumpet world as a "trouble-maker!"

Seriously, that might be a good idea. However, I would have to get in touch with Leon's family and the estate to ensure they are properly compensated.

Thank you for the suggestion
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Trumpet Isometrics Reply with quote

I will contact Leon's son in regard to the publishing issue.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course with the blessing of the estate... as I am sure Geoff did with his book.

Honestly, I think that there can be alot added to a teachers book (like Claude Gordon, Jake, etc...) by including the experiences, trials, and tribulations of the students that experienced it.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHSTPT wrote:
Therefore, I am not sure what other alternatives are available to us, other than otherwise allowing Leon's marvelous guidance to be lost to future generations.

How about contacting the family and asking for permission? I'm thinking of a few copies for a few interested parties, and offering $10 per copy, or something fair. Republication would be another matter.
jimmyjazz1968
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to study with Leon back in the early 90's. I have his book-but I have to find it. Leon would have me bring a manuscript book and he would sketch alot of the excercises (that eventually became his book) out for me to practice. I will look for both next week.
MHSTPT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percival,

That may be a good thought. However, the copyright rules are based on original owner, who sought the copyright protection in the first place. If the publisher took out the copyright, we would have to ask the publisher for permission, not the family - although, I would make sure the family would be fairly compensated as well. The point, of course, is to keep his ideas and pedagogy alive, not to make a buck. None of us would be interested in that, for sure. It would be so much easier if we could contact the publisher.

Fraser, could you look at your copy and see who is listed as the publisher? If they are still in business, we may be able to contact the publisher directly and take it from there.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I'll get that info out tonight.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: