• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just got Landau. Fwded it to 'scams'
Www.LexSamu.com
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THEY'RE BACK....

I got the same thing last week. I hadn't read this thread, but the red flags went up as soon as they wanted me to wire money to Western Union. I can see how someone can get sucked into that scam.

I hadn't thought about paypal shipment verification and how paypal would handle a pickup from a "private agent"... or no agent.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
maxfinis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm confused. I'm about to buy a horn from the TH marketplace, and I suggested PayPal, thinking it was the safest method for both seller and purchaser. I've read all 10 pages of this thread, and the general consensus is that I shouldn't use PayPal. Isn't PayPal designed for buying and selling stuff online? Even cashier's checks and certified money orders can be faked, according to some accounts on this thread. I'm also selling a horn on the marketplace, and I was going to require PayPal. If not PayPal, then what is the recommended method now? Besides US Postal checks, or doing a reverse lookup to verify identify/location, or other crazy stuff, aren't there other saner ways to do this stuff?
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max...

Paypal is usually tilted in the BUYER'S favor. If a buyer complains to paypal about a discrepancey, paypal often will claw back the money. It is sellers that have to be more wary as they could send goods, even money and then have get ripped off.

One thing you can do is see how much participation the seller has on the forum. If he/she is a regular your risk (at least in my experience) is lower as he is part of "the community" and wouldn't dare risk his reputation.

Good luck.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: New scammer Reply with quote

> I came across your ad and I'll like to know the following questions
> regarding the ad. Q#1. How long have you owned it?
> Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner?
> Q#3. Why are you selling it?
> Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it? Q#5. Any available
> photo? Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
> Q#7. Do you accept Cashier check or Certify check as mode of Payment
> Hope to read from you soon.
BardoXV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if the scammer wants photos, it is possible that they will use those photos to list the item somewhere, collect the money for it, and disappear. The other possibility is as mentioned with PayPal, they could complain, get their money back and keep the item, if later there is no money in the PayPal account and they have closed the bank account, there is not much that PayPal can do.

Silver American Standard, Vega, King Liberty, Beuscher TrueTone.
daniel.bardan88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Paypal will always go to the buyer's side, no matter what, so it is kind of unreliable at some extent. It doesn't hurt to go with the "old" methods like check or MO.
BardoXV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel.bardan88 wrote:
I agree, Paypal will always go to the buyer's side, no matter what, so it is kind of unreliable at some extent. It doesn't hurt to go with the "old" methods like check or MO.

I've been an EBay member since Dec. '97 and I've seen a lot of changes, lately mostly to the benefit of the buyer, but I've only had a PayPal account for a few years, when I discovered that I couldn't sell without the account. I wonder if the bias will change now that PayPal is separated from EBay?

Silver American Standard, Vega, King Liberty, Beuscher TrueTone.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't hurt to go with the "old" methods like check or MO.

Just keep in mind that checks, certified checks, money orders etc. can all be forged and take weeks to come back to your bank as bad. Best to take them to your bank and have them verify validity on the spot.

td
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a couple items I sold I had the buyer send a certified check from Bank of America, we have one in town. I cashed the check at that bank before shipping the horn. Not foolproof, but it worked on a couple of occasions.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
On a couple items I sold I had the buyer send a certified check from Bank of America, we have one in town. I cashed the check at that bank before shipping the horn. Not foolproof, but it worked on a couple of occasions.

Cashing the check doesn't guarantee that it is good. Some forgeries are good enough that your bank cashes them, you deliver the item and then the "issuing" bank bounces the check.

And you are liable for the value.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't hurt to go with the "old" methods like check or MO.

Just keep in mind that checks, certified checks, money orders etc. can all be forged and take weeks to come back to your bank as bad. Best to take them to your bank and have them verify validity on the spot.

td

I've been under the impression that USPS money orders, as well as Wal-Mart were both guaranteed funds?

And E-Bay has sold Paypal? I knew they re-did their billnelater thing which had some real problems ...
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been under the impression that USPS money orders, as well as Wal-Mart were both guaranteed funds?

They certainly are, if they're not forgeries.

Unfortunately, forgeries are so good that your bank branch won't catch them. Then the check goes through the entire process and comes back as bad weeks later.

My understanding is that, if you take the check/mo to your bank and ask them to validate it on the spot, they can do so. They run the check numbers etc. and can establish validity. I've never had to do it myself so can't vouch for that 100%.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in banks for ~3 years, up until last year, so this advice is pretty current.

Anyone can order fake checks off the internet. They are indistinguishable from a real check until they are processed through the Federal Reserve, resulting in a bounced check fee for you, the depositor (usually after 3-5 business days but sometimes longer). Luckily, anyone can verify the validity of a check before depositing. Call the issuing bank (the name of the bank will be on the check - that's where your payor has an account) and they will ask you the account number on which it's drawn and the amount, and will tell you point blank whether it will clear. Of course, the safest method is to take the check directly to the issuing bank and cash it as an "on-us" item. Some banks will charge a fee for this, however.

Money orders are tougher, but bank tellers are well trained to spot fakes. If the teller isn't sure, ask a supervisor. If the counterfeiter has truly made a great fake, it will actually clear and pay out. Again, the safest way is to take these to the issuing institution for cash (i.e. if it's a USPS money order, go to the USPS).

Best practice is to redeem these items for cash, do not ship anything until you have CASH in your hands, which you can then take to your bank for deposit without worry.

johnlakejazz.com
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Quote:

They certainly are, if they're not forgeries.

Unfortunately, forgeries are so good that your bank branch won't catch them. Then the check goes through the entire process and comes back as bad weeks later.

My understanding is that, if you take the check/mo to your bank and ask them to validate it on the spot, they can do so. They run the check numbers etc. and can establish validity. I've never had to do it myself so can't vouch for that 100%.

Many banks will do that for you, especially smaller banks or credit unions, however many of the larger banks do not train their tellers/customer service agents to do this. As I stated above, you can call the issuing institution yourself and ask for "check verification". Bear in mind they will give you a yes/no answer about whether it will clear, but that answer is good for today only. Tomorrow they may not have the $$$.

johnlakejazz.com
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it as lakejw stated. I don't belong to that bank, but if the bank check is theirs, they run the numbers and if it clears I have my funds. The small fee is worth the peace of mind.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
tampabaytrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you are buying a horn on here? I found a horn from a seller that I am interested in, but he claims he is selling if for a friend who needs the money, but he wont accept paypal, only a check or mo made out to the other person. He's fairly new...only a few days ago...
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tampabaytrumpet wrote:
what if you are buying a horn on here? I found a horn from a seller that I am interested in, but he claims he is selling if for a friend who needs the money, but he wont accept paypal, only a check or mo made out to the other person. He's fairly new...only a few days ago...

Link
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New scammer:

I want to purchase your 1961-62 Buescher Super Aristocrat is still available for sell?What is the last asking price,I will like to pay using Cashiers Check,After payments has been made,I will arrange for the pick-up and will you let my courier agent to come to you house for the pick up because i don't want you to worry yourself about the shipment,Kindly get back with more pictures.

Regards

alexandracollins680
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told a couple of these replies that if your courier can come to pick it up, your courier can bring the cash. Money talks, all else walks. They never reply.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: