• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buzzing the low brass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Buzzing the low brass. Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to try out a baritone in a music store. And, except when I was horse-flapping my lowest notes, it seemed all the buzzing I did was like free buzzing, except there was a mouthpiece on my face that my lips never touched. Is that what it's supposed to be like? Do players of trombones and tubas and other low brass basically free-buzz all day?
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you were keeping the corners of your embouchure at "trumpet width." Most low brass players buzz from rim to rim, at least in the low and middle registers.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax and allow the aperture to enlarge a bit from trumpet. Even better, forget all that and work until you actually sound like a euphonium player... like you'd have to do if you were just starting to learn to make a tone on a trumpet...
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BINGO !!!

Quote:
Relax and allow the aperture to enlarge a bit from trumpet.

This also works when playing a Trumpet. It's just a smaller Mouthpiece !
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having started trumpet in 1970 and tuba in 1974 i've found that the two styles of buzzing are very different. Trumpet is very strength oriented using a crimping of the lips together to reach for range while a tuba is the opposite requiring one to relax, drop the jaw, enlarge the air flow and as you call it free buzz. But in playing tuba we have to overcome the requirments of massive size.

For example;

I can produce a pedal Bb on trumpet that can last 20 to 25 seconds.
My pedal Bb (BBb) on the tuba will last barely 10 seconds. And in advanced works the pedals are activally used on tuba. This is why we have a forth and fifth valve. It enables us to play the pedals that a trumpet would have to false tone as part of our normal range.

Double Tonguing on the trumpet you use tee kee tee kee and I know of players who can tongue like a machine gun.

On tuba you have to use Tuu Guu Tuu Guu with the tongue stopping the air at the very bottom back of the throat. This is a much slower due to the extra length the tongue has to travel to work the larger air stream.

When producing a buzz for the trumpet you have to get far less air moving in the trumpet in comparison to a tuba. A trumpet bore is about 0.433" to 0.485". A tuba 0.658" to 0.940". This means a tuba has far more resistance to starting the airflow to create a buzz due to its massive volume than you find in a trumpet. This resistance has a huge effect and must be overcome when you add the third, fourth, and fifth valves into the air flow during quick passages.

Yes we do buzz across the whole mouthpiece and we do it through all registers. By keeping a clear uniform buzz across the full width we have more vibration/sound being produced to enrichen the sound travelling out the end of the horn.

And, Yes, I've found playing tuba pedal tones a great way to relax the chops after a long session of Schlossberg Technical Studies..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: