• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Once again sticking valves.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Using any abrasive, such as "Scotchbrite" pads, or toothpaste, is a big risk. I say that because if it goes wrong, you'll be into unknown repairs.

If a valve is loose, abrasives won't fix it. A thick valve oil is a far safer alternative.

A number of years ago I visited a major manufacturer and they said that toothpaste was a good start to free sticking valves. I visited another manufacturer a few years later and watched the hand lapping of valves with a lapping compound. In my view it all depends on the abrasive and the technique, and knowledge about what effects could come about.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended by the hydrated silica is about as safe of an abrasive as anyone could use. It has limited cutting action it loses it's edge after a single pass which is why you still have teeth with enamel on them after 100+ years of brushing your teeth!Your gums go before your teeth do normally which damages the jaw bone and so on..... Tony Scodwell laps his valves with Lava Hand Soap I dare you to compare lava hand soap to toothpaste!Well that is when he was using other brands of valve assemblies I doubt he needs to do that with the the Huxon Gakki ones he use's now. Engine valves are lapped into heads with 260grit on the other hand rouge is the same stuff in red lipstick that woman put on their lips day in and day out.

Ignorance of abrasive, how they work and how to use them is does not mean one should replace knowledge and wisdom with fear. The get any after hydrated silica in toothpaste the next thing I might use is mica as it is used to lapp Babbitt machine bearings after pouring them. I would not recommend someone that is new to this came using .5 micron diamond gel because it will cut as long as it is in place it does not stop cutting until you stop lapping and rinse it out. That is not at all for the new guy!!!

One of thee days I will have to take my old Getzen valve assembly and shoot a video after torturing it with a cordless drill and some toothpaste to show how hard it is to do any harm! The problem is with using an aggressive abrasives or one that has unlimited cutting action that is what get's people in trouble......We are nto talking about using 260grit valve lapping compound and a cordless drill for 5 minutes.....30 seconds to 60 seconds with Fereer's bench motor and their 2000 grit non-embedded lapping compound is what Ferree's recommends to lap a brand new valve into a horn. So you can see how some people can get into trouble........

The knowledge is widely available and so are the tools and products. What is often missing on this sight is the people giving the advice often have never done anything themselves. I call them "fear monger's"......How can you learn anything if you do not research the information then do what you researched? Anyone can tell people not to take any chances, take no risk at all but that is basically saying " Stay ignorant, stay stupid, never experience anything!"..............You can either research then do or just work all day so you can give all your money to someone else that will do everything for you this way you never learn anything know, you never truly live, you are with out any risk........

Imagine reading a book on what it was to be in love or what a kiss felt like or what a steak tasted like but because of fear and risk avoidance you never took a chance on love, you never kissed anyone and you never tried a steak.........Life is risk and life should be about learning and doing........let other's decide how much risk is too much.....I think toothpaste is about a low risk as life get's short of living in a bubble.
Dhawtho1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont use Scotch Brite at all. If you want to professionally clean your slide get some Red Rouge and use it with a buffing wheel. It will put a shine on your tuning slides
Soul Injection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: