• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need your help on a design issue. Everyone...please read.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahcim wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
It's really getting eery how *every* thread, in *every* forum eventually turns into a Wild Thing advertisement, once the post count gets reasonably large.

<Rant>

I haven't been on this forum for long but I have noticed the same thread behavior as well. On other forums, especially technology based, this is called "trolling" and the threads would be edited by moderators to stay on topic.

Don't get me wrong, Flip is a great guy and builds a horn that works for a certain type of player. But it is odd how a couple of posters have a "Flip Oakes" agenda for every thread.

</Rant>

I think we have it backwards here. This is the horns forum. Randy has the figures on the most recommended horn in this forum - we know it's not Wild Thing. The problem is that anytime someone mentions or recommends a Flip Oakes horn, the usual suspects take offense. It seems they have an agenda . . .

A good, experienced trumpet designer and builder will know how to maximize certain qualities, and what the trade offs will be. The reason I mention Flip Oakes in this thread is he is a great example of a good, experienced trumpet designer who does think outside the box. His trumpets already do what the OP wants. The OP's builder should already have the knowledge of what design characteristics will affect certain performance aspects. Other designers who have figured out something to set their horns apart are not going to bust out with it here.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

"A good, experienced trumpet designer and builder will know how to maximize certain qualities, and what the trade offs will be. The reason I mention Flip Oakes in this thread is he is a great example of a good, experienced trumpet designer who does think outside the box. His trumpets already do what the OP wants. The OP's builder should already have the knowledge of what design characteristics will affect certain performance aspects. Other designers who have figured out something to set their horns apart are not going to bust out with it here."

Here we go again, I recently asked nicely to only contribute with positive comments AND only to answer my specific questions. You don't know what other designers may offer. All you're doing is assuming. Let them and myself have a chance for them to offer advice if THEY want to( I got it..... YOU don't want them to). Please move on with the negativity or PM the people you want to go back and forth with. Don't do it on my thread, thank you.
The monitoring system won't work because one of the things I'll be doing is using it outside while moving around.

I really appreciate those with positive, helpful comments. I have a much better grasp on what I need now. Again, thanks
leahcim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

cb3 wrote:

The monitoring system won't work because one of the things I'll be doing is using it outside while moving around.

Sorry, I must have missed you have a need for mobility. There have been great suggestions thus far! Another way to get feedback is ear plugs.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

leahcim wrote:
cb3 wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed you have a need for mobility. There have been great suggestions thus far! Another way to get feedback is ear plugs.

Not your fault, I never mentioned the mobility thing before. I just really thought people would understand that I need all the design aspects incorporated into the trumpet itself. Yes there have been great suggestions and agian, I appreciate all the positive stuff.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you are not typically amplified. If you are amplified, a set of molded ear bud monitors is the best answer. If you are not amplified AND you play outside AND you want to move around, then the following characteristics should be on your list:

1) Carrying power. This is different than simple projection. It has to do with timbre, projection, core density and probably some other things. Carrying power applies to the full dynamic range of the instrument.

2) A broad projection pattern. Broad sound patterns sound full to more people as the player moves around and changes the direction the bell is pointed.

3) Strong feedback that is an accurate representation of what the audience hears.

4) Strong Low frequency response. Lows give body to the sound, but they dissipate quickly over a short distance.

5) Strong high frequency response. High frequencies give definition to the horn's sound. A tubby, all-lows timbre will sound muddy at best and be lost to all but the first few rows of audience.

These characteristics reduce your choices quite a bit. The 1410 bell is too narrow a taper for an outdoor Bb sound, IMO. Calicchio 1S is probably not at its best either, especially if you are a soloist. I could be wrong, but the lack of low end could leave the sound thin and harsh.

You are best to focus on wide taper bells. The Benge 5X would work well here. Kanstul owns the mandrel. A 72 style bell might be appropriate. Most manufacturers build a version. The Kanstul 103 Colosseum is designed for situations similar to yours.

In the end, what you describe IS the exact set of requirements that gave birth to Flip Oakes' Wild Thing trumpet. I know of no equal for outdoor, un-amplified work. Your guy cannot build one, though.

Yes, I have also played in this sort of circumstance.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree very slightly with Brian on one point. The Calicchio 1s isn't lacking in low end, and it does offer excellent feedback. But when the need to move around a lot is added in, I'd agree with him: go for something with broad sound dispersal. In ready-made horns, the Wild Thing, the Calicchios with #3 bells, and several of the Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt series do this well; the Wild Thing beats the others mentioned in this one aspect.

All of those horns have very good feedback. I tend to like the accuracy of the Calicchio R32 in my own hands a bit more than the others, but they're all close and all excellent. The more you move around the stage, the more I'd lean toward the Wild Thing. With a Calicchio 1s bell, you experience the feeling that you're blowing a hole through the back wall. With a Wild Thing, it feels more like you're covering the entire wall with sound. The off-axis volume loss is a lot less with that design.

I've never tried a Kanstul 103, but do own the other horns I've mentioned.

Your builder, if he's any good, already knows enough about larger bells, thinner bells, tapering bell metal, the effects of bell rims, bell materials, the design of bell flares - I'd advise giving the builder a solid set of goals, ranked by importance, and seeing what he suggests. My own specs for something like this would be a horn with the bell as close to my ears as possible, a bell with a relatively abrupt final flare and a size of a minimum of 5", bell material either sterling silver or tapered red brass, a fairly long section of unbraced bell, lightweight construction in the leadpipe and tuning slide. But that's just me, and I'm happiest when I'm playing a Wild Thing short model cornet anyway. Good luck.
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not on here pushing any particular favorite horn or design concept, and I'm not trying to be negative. However, though there are some very talented and knowledgeable brass design experts frequenting these forums, I bet most of their suggestions would be general in nature--stuff your builder should already know.

As one who actually makes a living doing design engineering (not horns though) we designers never give anything away for free--the knowledge always comes with a price--because it costs each one of us an awful lot of money and time to acquire the engineering experience and professional licensure. All of the plans and reports in my field are required to be signed and sealed by a licensed professional (they directly affect public safety)--which then means that I can be sued by any alleged "victim" of my design.

So we give nothing away without a price--and even mundane details can be considered as "firm secrets" that are not to be shared with others outside the profession as it literally takes money off our dinner table if they are shared.

This is not intended to sound or read as if arrogant, but is merely the reality in which designers have to live.

That said, it seems there have been some very useful tidbits of information shared here, but I would read them carefully. I would not expect to be able to glean enough here to be able to order my own horn and have it be a better choice than one already designed and available.

John
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not what the OP is after but..

We've all seen those plexiglass shields that get placed over a mic stand to provide some immediate acoustic feed back. Obviously this only helps if you're not moving around. I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar but smaller version that actually clips to the bell sorta' like a bucket mute. Without completely reinventing the horn I think this would be the easiest way to get more feedback without amplification.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

We've all seen those plexiglass shields that get placed over a mic stand to provide some immediate acoustic feed back. Obviously this only helps if you're not moving around. I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar but smaller version that actually clips to the bell sorta' like a bucket mute. Without completely reinventing the horn I think this would be the easiest way to get more feedback without amplification.

Interesting but that would take the audience feedback down way too much when moving outside. Thanks
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here we go again, I recently asked nicely to only contribute with positive comments AND only to answer my specific questions.
My comments to you were positive, and were an attempt to answer your specific questions.
You don't know what other designers may offer. All you're doing is assuming. No, I'm not
Let them and myself have a chance for them to offer advice if THEY want to( I got it..... YOU don't want them to). I could care less, and I'm not controlling anybody.
Please move on with the negativity I'm not being negative
or PM the people you want to go back and forth with. Don't do it on my thread, thank you. It's not your thread, it's Trumpet Herald.

However, I'll not continue with the obvious as someone else has taken that role:
John Mock wrote:
I'm not on here pushing any particular favorite horn or design concept, and I'm not trying to be negative. However, though there are some very talented and knowledgeable brass design experts frequenting these forums, I bet most of their suggestions would be general in nature--stuff your builder should already know.

As one who actually makes a living doing design engineering (not horns though) we designers never give anything away for free--the knowledge always comes with a price--because it costs each one of us an awful lot of money and time to acquire the engineering experience and professional licensure. All of the plans and reports in my field are required to be signed and sealed by a licensed professional (they directly affect public safety)--which then means that I can be sued by any alleged "victim" of my design.

So we give nothing away without a price--and even mundane details can be considered as "firm secrets" that are not to be shared with others outside the profession as it literally takes money off our dinner table if they are shared.

This is not intended to sound or read as if arrogant, but is merely the reality in which designers have to live.

That said, it seems there have been some very useful tidbits of information shared here, but I would read them carefully. I would not expect to be able to glean enough here to be able to order my own horn and have it be a better choice than one already designed and available.

John

- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

John Mock wrote:

John

John, I appreciate the way you put things in your response but it just so happens that I did talk to a designer of trumpets(not the one I chose to go with), that I know who had no problems giving me his thoughts on the matter. Maybe it's because not everyone asks what I want and it caused him to think, maybe he doesn't consider it a secret or whatever his reasons, HE TOLD ME lol. For other reasons, I am not having him do the job for me. My point was and is, not everyone is the same in how they handle things and it's nothing but an assumption to think they do. Thanks, and I certainly will try to incorporate all the helpful suggestions here and outside of here as I've been making calls too.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

cb3 wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Interesting but that would take the audience feedback down way too much when moving outside. Thanks

The amount of feedback can be regulated by perforating the panel. It could be mostly solid for maximum feedback or have lots of big holes for maximum projection or anything in between. Heck , I think some of the sound back devices are adjustable.
Without amplification there only so much sound to go around. Any amount of sound directed back at the user by definition will be lost from the audience. That is unless it's your intention to invent a much louder trumpet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microphone mounted inside the bell flare.
With USB plug. (of course).
Battery operated amplifier.
Moulded ear plugs.

Plug and play
---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
cb3 wrote:
cheiden wrote:

The amount of feedback can be regulated by perforating the panel. It could be mostly solid for maximum feedback or have lots of big holes for maximum projection or anything in between. Heck , I think some of the sound back devices are adjustable.
Without amplification there only so much sound to go around. Any amount of sound directed back at the user by definition will be lost from the audience. That is unless it's your intention to invent a much louder trumpet.

Just as loud as I can get one(within budget lol). I'm leaning toward a short model but I'm still not sure. I use a sounback sometimes when needed but wouldn't want to be outside with any version of it.
Thanks again
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer my experience regarding horn design and player feedback...

I have found that there is LESS player feedback on horns that have the following design...

Heavy Bracing on the Tuning Slide - (ala Harrelson's 909 Mod. which I own and replaced the heavy braced tuning slide with a stock slide in order to get more player feedback which was VERY effective)

Larger Bell Diameters - I find the larger bell diameter the less feedback I get as a player.

Heavy Walled Bells & Heavy Bead on Bells - I find horns with this design also provides less feedback to me the player.

Simply put...if I were in your shoes having a custom horn designed with the main purpose of getting a lot of player feedback, I would have a horn designed exactly the opposite of what I described above meaning...

No oversized, heavy walled and beaded bells...No heavy bracing on the tuning slide.

I hope this helps!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
I can only offer my experience regarding horn design and player feedback...

I have found that there is LESS player feedback on horns that have the following design...

Heavy Bracing on the Tuning Slide - (ala Harrelson's 909 Mod. which I own and replaced the heavy braced tuning slide with a stock slide in order to get more player feedback which was VERY effective)

Larger Bell Diameters - I find the larger bell diameter the less feedback I get as a player.

Heavy Walled Bells & Heavy Bead on Bells - I find horns with this design also provides less feedback to me the player.

Simply put...if I were in your shoes having a custom horn designed with the main purpose of getting a lot of player feedback, I would have a horn designed exactly the opposite of what I described above meaning...

No oversized, heavy walled and beaded bells...No heavy bracing on the tuning slide.

I hope this helps!

It does. I think all that plus a shorter model where the bell is closer to my face is sounding better all the time. Thanks Dan
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note...When I explained the changing of the tuning slide to the stock slide for better player feedback, Jason was 100% in agreement with the change in order for me to get the feedback I needed when playing with a Big Band that played very loud.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb3, I can speak from personal experience that having an absolutely custom made hand built horn exactly to my specs by a major manufacturer was, and still is an incredible experience. My hope was that the horn would respond the way I had envisioned it but my expectations were modest; after all I had a zero financial stake in it, and what the hell, Bach custom fabricated it for me, and that is in and of itself is pretty insane to begin with. Lets be honest, I would have been very selfish to have expected anything more.

I can certainly understand your desire to want to make the right decision to gain the desired result. That being said, the "ideal" aural result is an elusive objective even for the most accomplished player or builders. Experimentation with various bell materials, gauge thickness and material type (brass/nickel etc), leadpipe venturi... is a complex assemblage of critical tolerences with a multitude of variables to consider.

Our opinions ultimately will be of little value to you in the quest to realize your criteria in a horn. Although many suggestions here are valid, your ears (regarding player feedback in particular) will be the ultimate judge. Your aspirations are valid for your personal goal, however they are also subjective because not everyone has the same standards for the same terms, i.e., dark, bright, warm, complex, compact, spread.

We are all individual's and that in itself is a real challenge regarding having a custom (non production) horn built that will approach your expectations. I am a lucky SOB. I paid nothing for mine, I won it. It does exceed my expectations in it's playability and build quality BUT my expectations were modest because again, I didn't have a monetary investment.

Lightning struck several times for me on all of my "dream" trumpet expectations, and although they do indeed happen, dreams regarding getting that perfect horn rarely come true even after a safari, let alone paying substantial money for a custom horn thats a one shot deal that may or may not fall somewhat short of the ideal. Your goals seem very specific. I don't want to be negative, but if you do take the plunge on something "non production", please enjoy the process, embrace the result, and let the horn work for you. Please keep us posted when it happens. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that is interested in hearing about your exciting project.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
A_Ason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this horn I have a long bell with full sound, and I can clearly her myself. Built by Lars Gerdt.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play Mahler or Strauss on that horn. Tinnitis will be right around the corner.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: