• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whats wrong with kids these days?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Whats wrong with kids these days? Reply with quote

Come on, old farts. Its been months since we had a proper spleen venting. Surely the kids have been on your lawn again, and they need you to bellow at them so they can learn to straighten up and fly right.

So, what's wrong with kids these days?

<grumble>Worthless little [Language please! — Mods.]...</grumble>
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, looks like it's the county water department and the gas company this time. Flags and paint all over the place two weeks ago, guess they'll start digging up the yard when they feel like it. Not too different from the kids, when you stop and think about it, except they don't take bellowing as well.

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are too busy 24/7 staring into a screen of some type to bother getting on your lawn...
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Kids are too busy 24/7 staring into a screen of some type to bother getting on your lawn...

Ha-ha. They need to make a video game where the video characters get to ride bikes and skateboards across people's lawns, pick their flowers, climb in their trees, etc.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're too busy playing games where part of progressing in the game is dragging a hooker into the back of a car, then after the excitement is over, killing her for bonus points.

I'm not making that up, that's actually a plot element in one of the most popular games of recent years. And you wonder why crazy news stories pop up every day...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
They're too busy playing games where part of progressing in the game is dragging a hooker into the back of a car, then after the excitement is over, killing her for bonus points.

I'm not making that up, that's actually a plot element in one of the most popular games of recent years. And you wonder why crazy news stories pop up every day...

FWIW, there are many such games that are banned in Germany, where I raised my family (sans my oldest son). I don't want to get into a political discussion that will be deleted, but it does raise questions about just where the lines should be drawn in America between "freedom" and restraint.

Regarding kids and the yard thing, here's my solution - third floor apartment.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

<snip>

Regarding kids and the yard thing, here's my solution - third floor apartment.

How about a big dog that uses the front yard as his toilet?

On a similar line, someone took some dog poop, put it in a bag, placed the bag on the front stoop of my son's band director, lit the bag and than ran.

Unfortunately the director and his family were upstairs and didn't hear the doorbell.

The bag lit the welcome mat which in turn lit the front wall of the house. If it hadn't been for a neighbor who spotted the fire there might have been lives lost.
RossFaith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

FWIW, there are many such games that are banned in Germany, where I raised my family (sans my oldest son). I don't want to get into a political discussion that will be deleted, but it does raise questions about just where the lines should be drawn in America between "freedom" and restraint.

Regarding kids and the yard thing, here's my solution - third floor apartment. :-)

I agree, the games today are so much cruel. A player has to kill all the time in almost any game...
motoboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (at 40 years old) sat in for a rehearsal at my local youth orchestra playing a Beetoven piano concerto and the regular player was trying to tell me how to play the Beethoven trumpet part "properly."
I asked "How old are you?"
He proudly replied "Eighteen!"
I said "Oh, almost as old as my mutes."

(BTW, he was correct in his advice, so I complied, as he was principle. Check ego at the door)
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(BTW, he was correct in his advice, so I complied, as he was principle. Check ego at the door)

You got class, motoboy.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their parents.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyB wins the thread!

And regarding 3rd floor apartment comment by kehaulani... you forgot to mention bucket of pre-filled water-ballons at the ready by the window.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Their parents.

Absolutely correct.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a parent that's doing something about the problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/dad-shoots-daughters-laptop-over-facebook-post-video-222929321.html
michaelmullins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic to say that kid's problems are staring at screens all day, while staring at a screen yourself dont you think?
dantptman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, someone probably said "What's wrong with kids these days" about you and your friends too. Every generation thinks the next generation is going to "Hell in a handbasket." This one is no different.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Here's a parent that's doing something about the problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/dad-shoots-daughters-laptop-over-facebook-post-video-222929321.html

Wow. As a parent in these times, I watched the whole video and all I can say is that they need some serious family counseling. The question for the parents is, how do they as a family find themselves in this situation?

Shooting stuff, while great fun, is not the answer.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just order Super Smash Bros. for the Wii so I can cram before I go to the next Anime Convention.......As the first kid in Wiesbaden Germany in 1976 to have an Atari 2600 I was disappointed no one my age was their to Win the Battling games on Xbox,PS3 or Wii.........Since I own a Wii I decided to focus on just one game since I have very little time to learn and master the game. I watched it played and it is not unlike the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games I played in College.

I do Call of Duty Modern Warfar 3 but I play on a PC not on a gaming console. The Gaming Console versions are dumbed down because of the lack of power and lack of a keyboard. They can only stick so many buttons and only have so many combo's people can retain. So since I only own a Wii not the Xbox360 or PS3 I decided to stick with one of the most popular games played on that console at this convention. LOL

I limit my kids play time on the Wii to not more then 1 hour a day. They have to have their home work done first and even then they usual prefer to go outside before then even ask to play on the Wii.

Gaming is no worse then watching TV or just kicking your kids outside to room the hood..........The problem is far deeper then some silly easy answer that fits nicely in a pretty box with a label on it.

I do not care if they tear up the yard so long as they do not track it all back into the house. I also get cranky if I have to scrub mud off of clothes before I can wash them for fear it will clog the washer up........ The yard will fix itself!!! LOL
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think shooting the laptop was just stupid. That makes all gun owners and hunters look like idiots. I would never shoot a laptop or a TV etc.......Instead of looking at why he was punsihing his teen by taking away a toy and privlage "internet access for social reasons" people are looking at him shooting the laptop.

My kids where not doing a good job keeping the basement clean or doing their chore's. So they lost TV privileges and Wii gaming privileges for week. I did not take the Wii or the LCD TV out back and shoot them.

First it would send the message that it is ok to be destructive not a message I want to send. It would send the message that I can use a gun for things not intended to be shot making it out to be a game or toy for my amusement.I think destroying the laptop makes the guy look petty and spiteful. I do not think he needs a gun to look powerful or in charge.

Explaining to her what she did was wrong and why and taking away her privileged would have done the same thing. In fact prob. better because now the focus on him shooting the laptop.

In the end he owns the laptop and the gun and he did not break any laws but that does not make his actions praise worthy at all. I think people like him give responsible gun owners and hunter's a bad rep. It makes us look like hot headed idiots with no common sense. I am a long time target shooter and hunter and every time I squeeze a trigger I am mindful of not only the power I am unleashing that I can not undo but how my actions will look if viewed by stranger's. I would never give the gun hating lobby/activist free ammunition to be used against not only me but those that share the same hobby and enthusiasm. You have to think of other's not just your own 15 seconds of fame. I learned as a child that as an American living in Europe people would judge other Americans by my actions and I had to be a good Ambassador. My actions where not just my own but represented Americans in general. I never left the house with clothes that where not pressed and shoes that where not shined. Even blue jeans had creases down the legs from being pressed. To this day I consider my actions when out in public especially when representing a company or a group even by accident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: