• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Going pro Reply with quote

Tried to do a search for this but nothing specific came up, so if this is a repeat subject sorry. Ok I am thinking about going pro. First how does one do this. I know it is not a "heres the door to the kingdom" but how does one get to the door? I have joined a couple of community bands in hopes of getting my name out and have gotten some calls( not paid gigs). So ANY advice pro/con would be helpfull. Also I live in the central california valley (clovis)
Thanks in advance
Richie
Continental baritone
Clevland Inst. co. mellophone
G/F valveless trumpet
C/Bb valveless herald's trumpet
Eb Grand Rapids ( york) tuba
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Going pro Reply with quote

brassbow wrote:
Ok I am thinking about going pro. First how does one do this. I know it is not a "heres the door to the kingdom" but how does one get to the door?

There is no door, just as there is no spoon.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Be respectful of others, pleasant to work with in a section, and let your playing do ALL the talking.

Never stop trying to improve.

Get to know the pros. YOU could call THEM for a gig. Many people will eventually return the favor.

One day you will realize that you are busy enough to sustain your standard of living (which must be pretty low when you start out) and will then be able to exclusively play and/or teach for a living.

READ THIS BLOG!!!! - http://www.matthewanklan.com/matthewanklan/Blog/Entries/2011/4/6_How_To_Make_a_Living_Playing_Music.html

Good luck!
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Going pro Reply with quote

brassbow wrote:
Tried to do a search for this but nothing specific came up, so if this is a repeat subject sorry. Ok I am thinking about going pro. First how does one do this. I know it is not a "heres the door to the kingdom" but how does one get to the door? I have joined a couple of community bands in hopes of getting my name out and have gotten some calls( not paid gigs). So ANY advice pro/con would be helpfull. Also I live in the central california valley (clovis)
Thanks in advance
Richie
Keep doing what you're doing and also take lessons from the busiest pros in your area that do what you want to do.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you claim that you can play something (paint-peeling Lead, smokin' Be Bop, "Petrouchka" a la Phil Smith, natural trumpet, whatever) be able to back up those claims with solid and consistent performances.

Word about your deficiencies will travel faster and have a greater impact than traveling word of your strengths.

A primary goal should be that whenever you leave a gig or rehearsal that everyone around you has nothing but good things to say about both you personally and you musically.

Be friendly and cordial to everyone, but never force yourself onto anyone or into any situation. be very aware of the social situation around you.

Case in point: I subbed for my first time on "Anything Goes" on Broadway last night. I knew most of the musicians from other shows and jobs. However, there was one (and a regular member of the orchestra) who I didn't, and I sensed that for some reason he was "vibing" me. I couldn't figure out what the reason could be, as we had never met or worked together before.

So at intermission, I made the point of introducing myself. I said "Hi. We haven't met before, I'm Tim." And that's all it took to break the vibe. All I could figure is it's typical for a new sub to focus purely on those in the section he'll be subbing on and the MD / asst. MD (as those are who have a say on if you get approved), and this guy simply didn't want to be ignored. It turns out he's a really nice guy along with being a solid player.

Simply put - always remember that the biggest word in the phrase "music business" is "business." Many times your success in any given situation will depend more on how you deal with the business than how you play...then again, if you can't play....you gots no business being in this business.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: