• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Stands

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Trumpet Stands Reply with quote

I just took a couple pics of my trumpet and flugelhorn stands that I use on big band (or any other cramped stage) gigs. There was a discussion about stands on another site, so I thought why not post my pics and descriptions here, too?

They are Hamilton trumpet stands, one older than the other, so they are slightly different. The older one, I use for trumpet. It has a donut of chamois cut to cushion the plastic bell rest. The newer one, I use for flugelhorn. Along with the donut mod, the upper shaft is adjusted as high as it goes and a 7/8" bumper is fitted over the trumpet bumper. Instant flugelhorn stand.

They're heavy and bulky to carry, but are some of the more safe stands to use in higher traffic/congested areas. For "safe" gigs and rehearsals, I generally just use a K&M stand that I keep in my case (not in the trumpet bell, though).

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dale

i too have 3 or 4 of the old Hamiltons and i also bought 3 newer Hamiltons
(i paid $11 bucks new for them) that i don't like so much. they made the legs slightly longer and the metal for the feet is thinner. i actually bent one of the legs by accident while my 35+ year old Hammies have never flinched. the new ones also don't have the big plastic knob on the bottom for easy adjustments.

my old ones are a bit rusted and i have the same 35 year old socks protecting the bell but they have been bullet proof. think 55 chevy.

i have found the same cheapness in the newer black Spyder stands. i don't think that they are still made in germany either (china?). the end cap sizes are different from my old blue ones to the new black ones. the black ones also don't screw so smoothly either even after oil and grease.

i have been using Hercules (spyder like copies) for the past year with a similar round felt circle to protect my bell.

i'll take old school any day!!

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherently distrusted the idea of the inside-the-bell storable ones, that place the bell about 1/2" off the ground when on the stand.

Then I saw somebody walking through a section step on a trumpet bell and crunch it very convincingly, and I was vindicated. It's a horrible design to put it that close to the floor.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best multiple horn stand is a boxy spider-like monstrosity that stretches ABOVE the rafters and has hooks for hanging the horns, way above musicians' heads. It gives a new meaning to the phrase "horns swinging in the wind" ... if there ever was one.

Zero chance of stepping on a horn hanging up above. However, nearby hanging horns can hit each other if they swing. Can't win. Although ...

Make it motorized and have the horns go up and down on demand.

How more sillier can this get?

The K&M would not be nearly as bad if it had an option to lift the bell-shaped plastic piece a foot or two above ground (with longer and sturdier legs).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I inherently distrusted the idea of the inside-the-bell storable ones, that place the bell about 1/2" off the ground when on the stand.

Then I saw somebody walking through a section step on a trumpet bell and crunch it very convincingly, and I was vindicated. It's a horrible design to put it that close to the floor.

Good point about the bell's proximity to the floor. I use the Hercules five leg stand, that stores in the bell (although not in my bell.....never liked that idea), but here's why I don't worry much about it: I never (NEVER) leave my horn unattended on any stand, period. On breaks, the horn goes in the Torpedo case, which usually fits unobtrusively on the stage, near my music and mike stands.

Brad361
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

Good point about the bell's proximity to the floor. I use the Hercules five leg stand, that stores in the bell (although not in my bell.....never liked that idea), but here's why I don't worry much about it: I never (NEVER) leave my horn unattended on any stand, period. On breaks, the horn goes in the Torpedo case, which usually fits unobtrusively on the stage, near my music and mike stands.

Brad361

Me too except I just carry it with me to the bubbler (that's Sconnie for "water fountain"). It's one thing to mess up your own horn but quite another to leave it out as bait for someone else to kick over.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with any one stepping on a bell when using the low K&M though I acknowledge the concern. I also feel that the low K&M 5-leg stand is more likely to scoot when nudged rather than topple. On the subject of height one could argue raising the horn higher increases the potential damage if it does get knocked over.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 5 leg K & M stands work the best, not the original 3 leg versions. They fit nicely in the bell, although on my most cherished horns I won't store them inside the bell. They are also light weight, reasonably stabile, and with the legs detached and placed inside the stand "funnel," they keep floor funk out of my mute bag. As far as being so low to the ground, that is true. My horns are only on the stands while I am in the section. If someone wants to walk through, I just pick up the horn. On breaks, I always put my horn back in the case.
Leonel Leon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also can't stand leaving my horn unattended. I use the stands between songs, and on break if I am sitting. If not into the case it goes. I like the k & m for a single horn, but when I have more then one I like the hercules stand.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there is NO room on or near the stage for cases, Some gigs I play, the cases are in another room (sometimes locked), stacked or piled together. Under those circumstances, you don't have the luxury of putting the horn in its case during breaks, especially if everyone decides to do it.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to try one of these, just ordered it.

http://shop.dansr.com/products/productdetail/System+X+trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn/soprano+sax+stand/part_number=KB7000/3140.0.1.1.73568.73569.0.0.0?pp=12&

Brad361
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of the traditional Hamilton's, a K & M 5 leg and a Hercules 5 leg for my trumpets, as well as a Spider 5 leg for my flugel. (actually, I use the Hercules for my cornet)

Anyway, I still prefer the Hamilton's. If I had a wish though, it'd be for a 5 leg Hamilton.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
I have some of the traditional Hamilton's, a K & M 5 leg and a Hercules 5 leg for my trumpets, as well as a Spider 5 leg for my flugel. (actually, I use the Hercules for my cornet)

Anyway, I still prefer the Hamilton's. If I had a wish though, it'd be for a 5 leg Hamilton.

-Dave

I agree; a five leg Hamilton would probably be tough to beat.

Brad361
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I agree; a five leg Hamilton would probably be tough to beat.

I agree as well. This Hamilton System X looks nice, but I much prefer 5 legs for tipability (is that a word?) purposes.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would have to be a Hamilton 5 leg built to 30 years ago specs though for me.

like i said earlier. the new construction is not as solid as the old school way.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ron - I always use the Hamilton. Those little in the bell stands make it look like the horn is tee'd up for a field goal.

And on break, horns go in the case.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the K&M stands best because they seem stout and lift the bell above the floor where stumbling feet make me nervous. But many of the stands types (including the k&M) seem to have contact surfaces that are hard on the horn's finish. I always end up recovering a stand despite the type.

I wish the manufactures would address that element.

Two weeks ago I went up to Seattle to listen to Tower of Power and noted the their trumpet players were using K&M stands with the tops covered by Crown Royal bags to protect the finish. I had been using a micro fiber cloth stretched over mine. So I grabbed a bottle of Crown and the bag works very nicely. TOP had done 16 shows in 18 nights. I guess when you're picking up and putting down your horn that many times you learn a couple of things along the way.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use the CR bag as well then discovered the good old sock.

i use the CR bags for mutes though and now i make my own custom bags too.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Decided to try one of these, just ordered it.

http://shop.dansr.com/products/productdetail/System+X+trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn/soprano+sax+stand/part_number=KB7000/3140.0.1.1.73568.73569.0.0.0?pp=12&

Brad361

thanks for the link that's a cool unit. my wild thing trumpet has of course the larger flare, and the stand will double for flugel in any case.. chuck
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me if you are intersted in genuine CR bags both large (1/2 gal size) and small (fifth size) No choice of maroon or black, just what I have at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: