• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low note trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Low note trouble Reply with quote

I am now on my 4th full day of SA and am having trouble with the lower register...Ab, G, Gb specifically. This has always sort of been the case for me but now that pedals are mixed in and I'm giving myself a good workout each day they seem to be worse.

The pedals are one thing, but these "real" notes are very sensitive, often coming out very soft or not at all. I'm beginning to find myself paranoid that when I do get them more solid I'm doing things to my setup by accident that I shouldn't. For example, a slight pucker, or letting the chops slide open too much, etc. I know CG avoids chop talk, but I just feel a little fat recently.

Poor Bruce has already fielded a number of emails from me, I thought I'd jump on here and see what you guys think.

On another note, the tongue level, air power, and upper register are all improving!
cinci-sop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem for a while, cleared up on its own. I think it is just a matter of something new to get used too.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about that music, still waiting to get the PDF's I will email her again today.
Schilke B5 Trumpet - Stork 3B
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Useful maybe? Reply with quote

Not a regular CG thread poster/reader, but as I have been on my comeback trail I have been reminded that lower register quality is mouthpiece sensitive for me. I had to experiment to obtain satisfactory response bottom to top of my useful range with the instruments that I play regularly. If this post is not germane to your concern, please disregard.
Jim
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinci-sop wrote:
I had that same problem for a while, cleared up on its own. I think it is just a matter of something new to get used too.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about that music, still waiting to get the PDF's I will email her again today.

Thanks! Bruce has said to just rest more...lay off some of the other things after SA part 2, see how I feel tomorrow. It's hard to do, sitting here I could almost say I feel good to go again, but that might not really be the case.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what your routine was like before, but if this is significantly different, especially if it is exercising parts of your chops that weren't getting much exercise before, it is natural for the chops to rebel for a while. As long as you're not in pain, give it a few weeks before getting alarmed. SA can be brutal at first. Things will probably calm down.

-John
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with Bruces advise. He knows what he's doing and his first hand observation is crucial. Pedals definitely make things feel different but if your doing them correctly things clear up quickly. Proper use of pedals really can help correct a lot of incorrect habits. It does take time. I've been teaching and doing pedal routines for nearly 40 years and can say they really make a difference but MUST be done properly "or not at all", to quote Clark and CG.
Matt Parkinson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to bear in mind as well as more rest is that you are not over blowing when you go down, remember that you need less power and more volume of air as you descend, think Taw!

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: