• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions about 2 trumpets, 50s, Selmer paris, Olds Special

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dguy78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Questions about 2 trumpets, 50s, Selmer paris, Olds Special Reply with quote

Hi everyone, New poster here, I have been playing guitar for years, but know little about brass instruments.

I'm here looking for some information on some horns I recently bought from the original owner.

First trumpet is a 50s Selmer Paris, not sure if it is the grand prix model, or just model #20?,. there is no model name or designation on it that I can see, the valves have consecutive numbers and a serial that dates it to the mid 50s. There is a small "20" stamped on the mouthpiece receiver. I understand that identifies the bore size as medium (.456?) The valves and tuning slides all move freely, however the lacquer is worn, Definitely has been played a lot.. I also have 5 or 6 different mouthpieces with it, several mutes, stand, cleaning supplies and original case.

The second trumpet also dates to the mid 50s, an Olds Special, valves and slides all move freely, but the lacquer / finish on this one is really worn.

There is also a Yamaha student model Flugelhorn YFH-231 from the early 80s which seems to be in very good shape, as well as a 50's King valve trombone, which has some slight dents but no stuck valves or slides.

I do plan on eventually selling these horns and am wondering how much the worn lacquer / finish affects the value? I have seen threads on this and other vintage brass forums where people have amazing results by removing the lacquer and polishing.. Is this best left to a professional?

Also If it is not against the forum rules, a ballpark estimate on value would be great. I am not trying to solicit sales here, I am not currently ready to sell the instruments.

Here are some photos, they should be clickable thumbnails..

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to learning more about these instruments.

oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, shucks! You beat me to them!

The tarnish is not real critical, but as far as value goes, the overall condition of musical instruments rates the same as location does for real estate. Condition, for instruments, also reflects the paradigm of the human condition; it is not what is on the outside, as much as what is on the inside.
dguy78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I very carefully pulled one of the valves on each of the horns and they look shiny clean inside, no tarnish, rust , wear. Like looking back in time! also there is no tarnish in the internal portions of any of the tuning slides, it is strictly on the outer exposed finish. I was expecting to see some degree of internal corrosion, but there is none. The gentleman who sold I bought them from did tell me they were well maintained. What about a high / low ballpark value for any of these horns?
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Selmer were my horn, I would not strip the lacquer. I am a Henri Selmer fan, and when looking for these trumpets I prefer for the lacquer to be on the horn, regardless of the condition. One that has been stripped of lacquer, or worse when it has been relacquered, sends me looking else where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: