• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry BBC -Wow!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of buzz here for the larger size BBC pieces. I've recently switched to a Bach 10-1/2C on trumpet. Has anyone tried the 10.5BBC?

Kent
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried a 10.5BBC, but if you like the Bach 10-1/2C, I'll bet the Curry piece will serve you well.

I noticed an earlier query of mine on this thread, and I did end up buying a Curry, a 3BBC. It's a terrific mouthpiece, and I like the it on just about every modern and vintage cornet I've tried it on.

I just played it in a rehearsal last night on my Conn 5A cornet. Among other things, I played the 1st cornet part on Sine Nomine (Ralph Vaughan Williams / Alfred Reed arrangement) on it and man, what a cannon that cornet/mouthpiece combo is! Beautiful, big cornet sound and the upper register just pops out. I received compliments from both the 1st trumpet player and the director, which is nice.
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea so many TH'ers loved the BBC!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world where accuracy trumps tone quality its the ideal compromise. It responds very evenly across the range. It doesn't have the richness of the Wick but it doesn't have the wooliness either. A better compromise than many that have been tried. The closest I have played to the BBC is the Lewington McCann, but its a tad closer to the Wick set up and the rim is very wide and flat.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:

(Hey, guys! Before you propose, take the girl to an instrument shop and see how she does with a couple of hours of mouthpiece testing.)

Tommy T.

BEST. ADVICE. EVER!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
I'm playing a Curry 3BBC on a Lawler TL cornet.

Man the whole band sounds great! I can't believe the texture and depth to the ensemble's sound ... loving the raw brass look of your cornet too (it is in raw brass?)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I The closest I have played to the BBC is the Lewington McCann, but its a tad closer to the Wick set up and the rim is very wide and flat.

I happen to know that Mark Curry makes a wide and flat rim, as that is what I prefer. It's on the WT 10.5, but Mark can put that rim contour on anything you want
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:

Man the whole band sounds great! I can't believe the texture and depth to the ensemble's sound ... loving the raw brass look of your cornet too (it is in raw brass?)

Thank you for your kind words! It is a great band that keeps getting better, and drives me to be a better player.

And yes, my cornet is raw brass.
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
razeontherock wrote:

Thank you for your kind words! It is a great band that keeps getting better, and drives me to be a better player.

Matt, I couldn't resist posting this image of the Curry BBC cornet mouthpieces you sent me from your Puget Brass rehearsal:)

Thanks again, great stuff!

BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3BBC is the mouthpiece that convinced me to switch a bunch of my other setups to Curry pieces. This thing has nailed the sweet spot, somehow producing a rich BBB tone while still offering agility, range, and endurance.

I used to just assume that my upper register had to be stuffier and my endurance halved whenever I played cornet. Turns out it was the Wick mouthpiece that was kicking my ass.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is that Curry cornet pieces don't fit in my early Getzen Eterna. It apparently has a slight larger than normal receiver and Curry pieces go all the way up to the flare on the shank. If I put a piece of tape around the shank then it's ok but I don't know if that's the optimal insertion point.

Does anyone know how the Curry BBC compares to a Kanstul CG Personal? The CGP has a deep V cup and a 20 throat.

Kent
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
The problem I have is that Curry cornet pieces don't fit in my early Getzen Eterna. It apparently has a slight larger than normal receiver and Curry pieces go all the way up to the flare on the shank. If I put a piece of tape around the shank then it's ok but I don't know if that's the optimal insertion point.

Does anyone know how the Curry BBC compares to a Kanstul CG Personal? The CGP has a deep V cup and a 20 throat.

Kent

For me the CGP is much brighter. I would call its cup a shallow V. Think of again, a trumpet MP on a cornet shank.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
butltr01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry wrote:
mattdalton wrote:
razeontherock wrote:

Matt, I couldn't resist posting this image of the Curry BBC cornet mouthpieces you sent me from your Puget Brass rehearsal:)

Thanks again, great stuff!
[img][/img]

Hi Mark Curry!

Glad to have the chance to thank you personally for the 1.25BBC; it plays like an absolute dream!

Best,
Trygve Butler

Bach 37ML (70,xxx)
Bach 229CL (modified by Charles Butler)
Courtois C Cornet
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

You should definitely bring this to Mark's attention immediately if he doesn't see it on his own in this thread. This is one of the many reasons I love his stuff. He can and will fix this sort of thing quickly.

I had an issue with an older horn with a non-standard receiver, and he was able to send me another copy, with the shank just slightly larger, and it now fits my old antique horn perfectly. You don't have to tolerate "almost" or "close enough" anymore. And you don't have to spend 10X a rational rate to do it either.

Mark is one of the good guys out there. Great products, and extremely reasonable pricing. Hard to find these days, but such people are still out there if you look.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
For anyone who is wondering how "Wick like" the sound of a Curry BBC is, here's a video of a January 28, 2012 live performance that might give you an idea.

Link

Matt,
What cornet and mouthpiece (and mpc size) is the cornet soloist using in 16:05 to 16:18? I think he is getting the right british brass band cornet sound.
~Charles
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cshuetva wrote:

Matt,
What cornet and mouthpiece (and mpc size) is the cornet soloist using in 16:05 to 16:18? I think he is getting the right british brass band cornet sound.
~Charles

That's Charley Butler playing, and he was using a Wick - either a 2 or 2B mouthpiece, I don't recall. It is also worth noting that on the concert we just played yesterday, Charley used a Curry 1HBBC.

Charley's cornet is his own creation, built from an Olds cornet valve set with a new bell, new leadpipe, and other tweaks. He's got a strong reputation for being able to improve the way Bach trumpets play (especially C trumpets) and is applying some of that knowledge to the cornet. You might PM him (username "CB's Pro Brass Technology") if you need more information on it or would like him to build one for you.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. From the sound, he is definitely using a wick B cup. I really like the Lawler TL cornet. I'm trying to sell my DEG signature 2000 custom series Bb cornet right now.. I recently switched to playing the John Packer Bb and Eb cornets. They play very very well despite being labeled as beginner line models by JP. They look nice, have first and third triggers and play very well. I'm waiting for my curry 1.25 BBC to come in the mail. I'm currently using wick 2BW. I also have a curry 1.25 VC and DC that I'm tryipoolng to sell as well..

I'm going to be competing as a soloist in the adult slow music division at Nabba this year with the JP271SWS Bb cornet with either the wick 2bw or the curry 1.5 BBC depending on which one sounds and plays better.

Charles
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 1: DEG Cornet Sold.

Update 2: The Curry 1.5 BBC mouthpiece works like a charm...much much better playability than the Denis Wick 2B and with the same sound timber and characteristics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: