• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Deciding between Kanstul Stamm .464 A and Kanstul Meha .470

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Deciding between Kanstul Stamm .464 A and Kanstul Meha .470 Reply with quote

If any of you have played these 2 horns side by side I would appreciate any input. Both have been recently chem cleaned, PVA'd, and with new corks and felts.

The Stamm is heavier and seems to slot better, the Meha lighter and "quicker" in feel. I play 3rd chair and jazz in a Big Band and will also do some Church work and combo work.

I've done 3 side by side play tests and one does not clearly show an advantage over the other. I will keep one and sell the other. I'm not interested in exploring others at this time.

I'm actually kind of stumped, and any input from you that have had experience with both of these would be appreciated.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played the Stamm model which I liked a lot, and while I haven't played the Meha I do play another large bore Bb (Holton ST-302, 0.468"). I can't know if your 0.470" Meha plays anything like my horn but large bores horns are often more work. And while I do enjoy playing the large bore time to time I'm glad I have a ML horn for daily use. Just my $0.02.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill; I think we've corresponded before. I haven't played a Meha but have been told it's very much an excellent 'standard' horn; one of the best with a generic, quality (read 'Strad-like') sound.

I had a Stamm horn for a while and think it to be one of the finest horns out there - and certainly a tremendous bargain for the price they bring. I'm waiting for a lacquer one to come on the scene. I didn't find the larger bore to be draining but I wasn't playing long gigs at the time, either. The tone though... Very nice!!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, yes I remember you gave me some good lead leads in my search for a good Stamm horn, thank you.

It does have a nice tone, different than the Meha.

Wilmington Big Band
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both. I really, really like the Stamm trumpet. It was just the perfect resistance for me and sounded great in any setting. The Meha was a nice horn too. I just felt more comfortable moving around on the Stamm. The Meha was a bit brighter and maybe slightly more work because it felt more open, at least to me. I have been looking for another Stamm to come along at the same time that I have money! I think they are very under-rated horns. My friends and I got about 15 trumpets together and four of us tried them with our eyes closed while someone handed us a trumpet. The Stamm always finished in the top three(and none of us thought that was going to be the case). So, either the four of us like the same sound and resistance or it is just an easy and great trumpet to get around on. It has great slotting, not extremely tight but not loose either.

I can see the Meha was a good horn too. Maybe slightly more work, slightly bigger sound and a bit brighter. A bit more slippery on the slotting. I think the Stamm was easier to player in the upper register, but that might just be me. I had a lacquer one with a B bell and I miss that trumpet! For lack of good terminology, I would pick the Stamm. It feels more "secure" to me. Less chipped notes, less am I sticking out too much, etc.

Just my two tiny cents.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meha .470 might be hard to sell. You either love this horn or you hate it!I happen to love them but in a world dominated by Bach's and .459 bore horns expect it to maybe take a while to move her!

If you like them both it might be best to hold on them since the market is not so hot right now. Also if they are both great to use then either chose the one that has the better mechanicals ie most compression or the one that has the best cosmetics ie engraving, detailed metal work, best finish etc........

Just idea's though!
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info guys, thank you. The market on used horns has been about as consistent as anything else lately. High demand, clean, well maintained equipment seems to be bringing good $$. I just sold a Callet Soloist Sunday for $1300 (ad is still up in the Marketplace) and a Holton 51LB and Getzen Super Deluxe in the last month on eBay. All were just a little unique and in good shape. Several used Ambassadors I had sold for very low amounts.

The feedback you all gave on my last 2 horns was excellent, thank you for the time and effort put into the responses. I am scaling back my playing considerably and will be keeping one of the two horns.

Thank you again for your help -

Wilmington Big Band
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own Meha .470 horn and I loved playing it but to be honest it wore me out on a 3 hr. job. By the last set I lost range and I started playing flat. I just am not a strong enough player to play that horn, but it was a very good horn. I had several friends with the Stamm horn and they all had good things to say about it. I would probably keep the Stamm horn.
assorted other horns
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point david. I am just a come back player that sits in my room and plays along to old records and sometimes with my son. So a horn wearing me out in 3 hours is not an issue but it would be to a lot.

I do not think you can compare a Callet Soloist to a .470 bore horn made by Kanstul. You can not buy a new Callet Soloist at all but Kanstul can and will build you anything he has the tooling for and if he does not have the tooling he has something close 9 out 10 times I am sure. So anything Kanstul made before he can make again so kind of a different ball of wax then an older Callet.

I know I plan on putting a large bore in my sons hands prob. the summer between his JR year and his SR year of high school so he has all Summer to get used to it. Then at the end of Summer let him decide what he wants to use for his SR year........I know the "R" should have been made "r" and a period at the end but I goofed and do not want to go back and fix it.

This way he will have the experience of having to adapt to a larger bore horn and latter on in life he will know what to expect. I would never force any gear on anyone but I do think it is good to explore things when you have no real pressure on you. It will be a good learning experience for him!

Good luck on the horn problem but I think keeping them both if you can is a good option to consider!
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Kirk-
1. All Callet horns are made by Kanstul.
2. I merely said I sold a Soloist recently, I did not make nor ask for a comparison.
3. I DID ask for feedback from those who have owned and/or played one or both of the Meha and Stamm models, both also made by Kanstul.

I appreciate your comment on owning both, but I really have no need to and am collecting whatever input I have, personally and from others to make the best decision possible on which to sell.

Dave, you confirmed a feeling I had, thank you. I am not as strong a player as I used to be and need to modify my playing style going forward. After listening to you and others in this thread and personally playing both side by side the decision is becoming easier.

Wilmington Big Band
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: