• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1601 – does tight leadpipe restrict the blow?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanstul 1601 – does tight leadpipe restrict the blow? Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
1.) (Assuming you tried this configuration) How did your horn play with the 25-O pipe and a square tuning slide?

2.) Did you ever try your horn with a 43 pipe?

1.) I have 3 tuning slides that Kanstul made for me. The rounded (which is standard on the horn), a more traditional "Bach"-ish angular slide, and one that was a compromise between those two.

When guys try my personal horn, I usually have all 3 with me so that they can see for themselves what the different slides do, and so far everyone has agreed with my assessment of the 1601 and the different slides:

- The Bach-ish created a very noticeable increase in resistance. Articulation was a bit "quicker" and maybe a bit more clear. The sound also brightened up a lot. The pitch center of the horn changed immensely, and not in a good way.

(one of the really nice characteristics of the 1601 is the pitch center is very, very solid and easy to achieve).

- The compromise slide pretty much split the difference, as you would think it would do. Articulation a little quicker, sound became less bright, pitch center still noticeably affected (not in a good way), just not as much as the Bach-ish.

For me, everything with the horn locks in nicely with the rounded slide. I know exactly where each note is and what I can do with it.

I fixed my personal articulation issues with more diligent and dedicated articulation practice (Arban, Schlossberg, Clarke, St. Jacome, some of my own creations and a METRONOME), and going to a slightly more rounded rim on my gazintas.

2.) Yes.

I found it to be too open (for my playing), and the sound core spread. Sometimes you might want a more spread sound, and I found a change in gazinta back bores gave me that without changing from the 25 pipe that's on the horn.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146154&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I would like to add, just for clarification, that in all my time with Kanstul (24 years), and especially after the 1500TW / 1601 was created, I have not and do not make any commission on any sales of these instruments.

I might have bought Tim breakfast once. THAT was his commission!

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
rap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Just ordered a 1601 Reply with quote

I’d just like to say thanks to all who replied with very helpful relevant information.

I’ve just ordered a 1601. There is a clear lacquered one in stock so with any luck it should be with me within the next couple of weeks.

I’ve been looking for a replacement for my 40 year old Getzen Eterna Severinsen for a while but it’s a hard act to follow. The Getzen is a great horn, it has a sound that can really cut through but I’m getting far more small combo, even duo work and so require more versatility from a horn. It sounds like the 1601 could help me achieve this.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rich
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Rich. Let us know how it goes!

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KanstulBrass wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
I would like to add, just for clarification, that in all my time with Kanstul (24 years), and especially after the 1500TW / 1601 was created, I have not and do not make any commission on any sales of these instruments.

I might have bought Tim breakfast once. THAT was his commission!

As I recall that was a very yummiful breakfast, too. Probably not steak-n-eggs but most def a whole lot better than a McD's #2.

Another clarification I'd like to make is I play a stock 1601 as it comes today with the following exceptions:

- I have a traditional water key on the main tuning slide. The current horns come with an Amado water key. I prefer the trad keys.

- I have different bottom valve caps. The caps on mine are the same as on the 1025 Flugelhorn.

(those 2 changes were made by Zig).

- Valve alignment.

I recently played a silver-plated 1601 at Dillon Music. This was the first 1601 I have played, other than my personal, since moving east in 2005.

That particular horn played about as similar to my personal as any 2 of the same model I've ever played of any maker of horns. A valve alignment might be all it'd need to be as close to a twin as you could hope to have.

Rich - anxious to hear your reactions to the horn. One suggestion - let the trumpet do the work for you. Most guys are accustomed to working their horns hard - with the 1601, just give it a nice stream of air & let the magic happen.

After you get the horn, all you'll then need is a lead pipe swab...

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146154&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim.. was that great copper bell silver plated too?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
Hey Tim.. was that great copper bell silver plated too?

yep.

Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
... I recently played a silver-plated 1601 at Dillon Music. This was the first 1601 I have played, other than my personal, since moving east in 2005. ...

Mine is silver. Although, according to Charles it's one of only ten currently in existence, I would have preferred lacquer.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
My top 2 Kanstuls are the 1601 and the 700.

What do you like about the 700, Nate?

Peter
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
My top 2 Kanstuls are the 1601 and the 700.

What do you like about the 700, Nate?

Peter

It's got to be the #25 mouthpipe, I bet!

*He-e-ere, Capt., Capt. Come and get it!*

Brino

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: