• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I love trumpet Connstellation 38B !!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting question ... Покрытие инструмента... It is believed that nikel cover a very cheap option. I think the most important result. As a result of sound. Of course, opinions may differ from my colleagues ...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked a man at the Kanstul factory about this covering, he said that a nickle plating would give the sound a slightly darker sound than with the silver finish.

Покрытие инструмента (Plating, covering)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Steve - a couple of quesstions.

Was the Kanstullation that you A/B'd with the Conn, nickle plated or silver plated? Kanstul offers nickle plating but I believe their "default" version is silver plated.

Regarding the construction of the Kanstul, I have read on this forum that the original bore was constructed with a certain taper that the Kanstul did not follow. Any thoughts? If so, that might account for some difference in the sound you heard.

Also, I have read here that the outer dimensions of the two horns are not the same.

Thanks for your thoughts. (And for your post above.)

The Kanstul 990 was the nickel-plated "Kanstullation." "Was," because it's been discontinued. Strangely enough, it didn't have the wide wrap of the classic Connstellation -- it had a narrower, more traditional trumpet wrap. The 991 is still made and has the wide wrap like a classic Connstellation, but the factory finish has always been silver plate with gold highlights.
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the old Conn 38B are still a secret. That's why he has such a magical and never repeatable sound.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: I love trumpet Connstellation 38B !!! Reply with quote

I've been playing a Kanstul Maricahi/991/Kunstellation since 2002. I'm on my 2nd one! The first one I had I made the mistake of stripping it to raw brass. Although it felt lighter and played a little warmer it just lost the "heft" that the original silver/gold plate gave it. A couple years ago I purchased another one and, except for taking the useless trigger off, I left it alone! There is DEFINITELY something magical about this horn FOR ME. MANY other horns have come a gone but it's the ONE horn that I will NOT get rid of! It does everything I ask of it from small group jazz to dixie to lead in a big band, etc. It also hasn't found a mouthpiece that it doesn't like...EVERYTHING seems to work well on it. Intonation is spot on. In fact it may even beat my Schilke in that category. Valves are nice and quick, slides all work like they should, etc. Back off it and it has the most gorgeous, lyrical sound...step on the gas and it'll take your head off!! Bottom line is I couldn't possibly ask for anything more from one horn. BTW...I NEVER liked the original Connstellations!!! Go figure!

Butch
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nieuwguyski"]
kehaulani wrote:

The Kanstul 990 was the nickel-plated "Kanstullation." "Was," because it's been discontinued. Strangely enough, it didn't have the wide wrap of the classic Connstellation -- it had a narrower, more traditional trumpet wrap. The 991 is still made and has the wide wrap like a classic Connstellation, but the factory finish has always been silver plate with gold highlights.

The Kanstul 990 is still available I believe even though it has been pulled from the catalog. For whatever reason it is sold for a few hundred bucks less than the 991 making it in my opinion one of the best values of any new trumpet you can buy (check places like Dillons and Chuck Levin's).

The 990 does indeed differ from the 991 (which is supposed to be an exact copy of Snooky Young's horn) in that it is nickel plated with lacquer accent and has a more streamline "trumpet" style wrap. Another big difference is the 991 has a cornet valve block and the 990 a trumpet valve block with shorter pistons. Both share the 437 bore and huge bell-- the bell is so big it doesn't fit in a standard trumpet case. Sort of a little pit bull of a trumpet! I've owned both models and prefer the 990 oddly enough but both are very cool trumpets and although a bit out of the mainstream (always a good way to be) I can see why people love these models and the original Connstellations.
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Was the Kanstullation that you A/B'd with the Conn, nickle plated or silver plated? Kanstul offers nickle plating but I believe their "default" version is silver plated.

Regarding the construction of the Kanstul, I have read on this forum that the original bore was constructed with a certain taper that the Kanstul did not follow. Any thoughts? If so, that might account for some difference in the sound you heard.

Also, I have read here that the outer dimensions of the two horns are not the same.

Thanks for your thoughts. (And for your post above.)

My horn is the 991 -the silver and gold plate. I think the 990 is nickel. Actually a very pretty horn. Not sure about the tapers. It is the same bore at slide openings as the Connie, I believe. Yes, might account for some of the difference. If you know anything about Ziggy Kanstul, it is likely any differences were actually improvements. You indicated the outer demensions might be different. To me, the 991 looks the same. - it is the wide wrap, 5 1/4 inch bell, etc, right down to the first valve trigger and adjustable 3rd. Wish I had layed one over the other when I had a 991 and Connie at the same time.

Guess my point was that the 38b was a fabulous horn. However, it is possible to get close to it in a new horn. Comments not meant to take anything away from the Connstellation.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreaciate your thoughts, Steve, thanks!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank my colleagues for participating! This topic will always appear ... I love the Conn 38B!!!
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love C.G.Conn Connstellation 38B Trumpet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaBCIgx5Uc&list=PL75D85A7F531B3806&feature=plpp_play_all

Best wishes,
Sergey Bondarev
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to trumpeters drew attention to the model of the Conn pipe 38 B. .. It is very important! Check out the video .... Pay attention to paint a sound. I hope that you will hear the paint tool ... My goal - is to tell you ! I hope that many of the paint can hear the sound ... I think I understand the trumpeters ... I hope !
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergeybondarev wrote:
I'm wondering what my fellow mouthpieces are used in this tube. These reviews are very important for me ...[/b]

I use my 1961 38B for big band swing (it is actually the only trumpet I own now; my parents bought it for me when I started high school - - still in mint condition, with valves redone recently by Anderson Plating when they started to leak/drip). A Marcinkiewicz 311 mpc (#25 throat) is what I use for lead parts. A Marcinkiewicz Concert Hall C3 is what I use for ballads or mid-tempo feature parts like I CAN'T GET STARTED (much, much better intonation & richer timbre than the Bach Megatone). As an aside, I wish I had kept my Yamaha 8310Z & had Anderson re-plate those valves; it was a much less tiring horn for me.
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy! Thank you! This information will come in handy!
GodSong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Question about the MP reciever on the 1958 Connstellation Reply with quote

I have a 58 38B Conn and the MP's I use bottom out in the receiver. I have to use tape to get a gap. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the older Conns. I have had a few and this is common. Is there a receiver MP mod that can be done to be more conducive.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have the receiver replaced, easy job.
If your receiver is really worn out you may find a replacement receiver.
You can use a oversized backbore like the Warburton B's.
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: tom harrell plays his Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRDOFJW4eI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5bXS5VZcU
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey I feel the same way about the Conn 8B Artist that I just got a couple weeks ago. I was buying it with the intention of having a backup for my '51 Martin Committee but this horn plays SO good that I'm actually making it my main axe! I can definitely see why Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Woody Shaw all played this horn because it plays like a dream. If you ever get a chance to try an 8B Artist, DO IT! It's almost identical to your 38B except it has a 4 5/8" bell and is lighter weight (and has no trigger on the 1st valve slide and has a different mouthpiece receiver).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quikv6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Hey Intrepid Reply with quote

...Hey Ray,

Glad you're still loving the Conn 8B!! I am really happy to hear that. I thought that horn played exceptionally well, especially considering that people have said the that earlier horns were superior.

Best of luck with it, and play it in good health!

-Chris
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Intrepid Reply with quote

quikv6 wrote:
...Hey Ray,

Glad you're still loving the Conn 8B!! I am really happy to hear that. I thought that horn played exceptionally well, especially considering that people have said the that earlier horns were superior.

Best of luck with it, and play it in good health!

-Chris

Thanks a lot Chris! I heard the same thing about the ones being from Elkhart being superior horns but I actually like the way this one plays better than the Elkhart one from '65 my friend has. I know a couple of the guys in the Airmen of Note played 8B Artists from the mid/late 70s so obviously there were still good playing ones made in Abilene too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Connstellation Reply with quote

Sergey, what's the piece played on that video, do you know? And played by whom?
Thanks,
Hugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: