• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetlover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any evidence/proof that type IV or IVA players have more of a problem with endurance than other types? I'm a type IV player and seem to not be able to play as long as I would like during practice sessions. Maybe I'm not warming up enough or too much???
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, TL! I hope things are going well for you.

I don't have access to my "Encyclopedia" just now, but I recall that the downstream embouchure types (III, IIIA, and IIIB) tend towards being able to play longer, but needing longer rest periods. The upstream types (IV and IVA) tend towards needing to rest more frequently, but can do with shorter rests. These are generalizations, but I've found this to be my case, as a IVA.

So while practicing be sure to take lots of frequent, but short, breaks. As you play more during the day you might want to make your rest periods longer. Our illustrious moderator, Rich Willey, and I have been doing some team practicing and I've found it very useful to practice some Reinhardt materials together. One of us plays an exercise and the other repeats it back. This keeps our rest periods almost exactly as long as our playing periods. See if you can grab a practice partner. Try taping some of your practice sessions and use a rest period to listen back to how you're playing.

Type IV's can play with great endurance - when things are working correctly. You just need to be careful to take things slowly while you're embouchure is still developing. Doug Elliott mentioned to me when I switched types from downstream to upstream that it's common for upstream players to not even realize how tired they're getting until the next day.

Anyone else have suggestions? I could use some help myself after over a week away from the horn!

Dave
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetlover,

I can relate. I am type IV quite early in my development and I am having the same problem as you. My chops get tired if I have the mouthpiece on my lips for too long a time. Dave Sheetz has me on a routine and a main theme seems to be lots of REST. Already my endurance has gone up by strengthening my lower lip with buzzing and using more diaphragmatic support and tongue arch...it is still not great though. I suppose this must be part of the life of a developing type IV.

Just to give an example...I can stick the horn on my face when my embouchure has rested for a long time and play a nice high E or high G most of the time, however, if I have the mouthpiece on my lips for say a minute or two and then I have to play those notes, it won't happen.

Cheers,

Brendan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: