• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suggestion for a not to costly Eb Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Suggestion for a not to costly Eb Trumpet Reply with quote

I play an Eb cornet for my own enjoyment and in a late 19th century re-enactment band. I’m interested in getting an Eb trumpet to use in a trumpet ensemble. This is an amateur group that performs occasionally but is really for the enjoyment of the players. I don’t want to spend a lot of money since I won’t be using the horn a lot. On the other hand I don’t want a horn that will have problems or can’t be played in tune. Any suggestions are welcome.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one, as Eb trumpets may be the squirreliest of the high horns.

I did have a hand-selected Wisemann D/Eb that played pretty well, but that was an anomaly. I'd say that unless you stumble on a rare find, the Yamaha YTR-6610 is the best bet.

However, with a careful mouthpiece pairing, you may find your Eb cornet would do what you need, especially if you're comfortable with it.

HTH

Ben
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to say that my Eb cornet is a Pepper and Son made around 1915. Hence its use in the re-enactment band. In lieu of an Eb trumpet I’m also considering an Eb cornet.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a Getzen - ideally not the student-oriented 300 series, but an Eterna - you’ll have an underrated and underpriced pro horn that outplays many much pricier horns in terms of scale, intonation, and overall playability. It may lack somewhat in soloistic finesse, but for half to a third the price of even some secondhand Yamahas and Schilkes, this may be perfect for your ensemble needs. The more commonly-found Bach long bell 189 model *May* project a richer, more noble sound on the few harmonics it plays in-tune and with consistent resonance, but I’ve never found one of those horns impressive enough to use in any application, although I’ve tried.

There have been a number of higher-end horns coming into the secondary market in the now less-popular short bell/smaller bore designs. I’ve played a few such Schilkes and recall preferring their overall playability to the E3L I owned in HS and conservatory. Eb trumpet is a very personal, mouthpiece and application sensitive endeavor - and I’ve thrown both time and money at this ‘problem’ of what horn to have for that role for so long that I ultimately sold and traded away all those ‘middle’ horns. I should’ve kept the Getzen Eterna I once picked off of eBay for $700, in hindsight.

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olds Ambassador Eb/D trumpet that’s passable for occasional use, but the intonation is a bit squirrley, especially in Eb. It’s a real factory Eb, not a modified Bb trumpet, so you may find one if those fairly cheap (a few hundred bucks) if you’re diligent.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
If you can find a Getzen - ideally not the student-oriented 300 series, but an Eterna - you’ll have an underrated and underpriced pro horn that outplays many much pricier horns in terms of scale, intonation, and overall playability. ---

---I should’ve kept the Getzen Eterna I once picked off of eBay for $700, in hindsight.

Happy practicing!
-DB

Dan,

Your post reminded of one other option; there was a small run of DEG Signature D/Ebs that played pretty well. I got one at a good price and had Osmun go through it; it turned out to be a pretty solid short-form Eb. I gifted it to a cousin who is a band director and fine player. I believe he has been happy with it.

Ben
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody just listed a Yamaha E-Flat cornet on the marketplace for $600.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Getzen 300 Eb/D. It is virtually unplayable. Some notes are decent, but others are very out of tune. Don't buy one!!
A tech told me the bell is the real problem.
R. Tomasek
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I have a Getzen 300 Eb/D. It is virtually unplayable. Some notes are decent, but others are very out of tune. Don't buy one!!
A tech told me the bell is the real problem.
R. Tomasek

This is exactly why I warned about this model, above. Something of the Three-Piece (!) bells used on these horns makes them play oddly consistently, though I imagine it saved some time on the factor floor not having to bend complete bells. I do, however, know of a few players and techs who've turned Getzen 300 series Ebs in to go-to high F and G piccolo trumpets....but that's not really the topic of this thread!

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tough finding an Eb instrument that is playable and budget friendly. The usual suspects like Bach, Schilke, Yamaha are rarely available on the used market for cheap.

In the early/mid-80's I bought a new Blessing Eb/D trumpet that was much better than it should have been. I don't believe many were made, and I don't think I have seen any in the used market. I regret selling it.

I have never found a Getzen 300 Eb/D that was playable. The intonation was all over the place. The Eterna Eb's are rare and play well.

I have heard mixed reviews about Benge Eb trumpets. Some people have said great things, others hate the intonation.

Currently, the only Eb I own is an older Yamaha Eb cornet (YCR-261S). It is a nice little horn, but very mouthpiece sensitive. With the right mouthpiece it works very well, with a standard Bach cornet mouthpiece it is horrible.

Whatever you find, play it before you buy it.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Budget Eb Trumpet Reply with quote

Years ago I had a Getzen Eterna Eb that was a sweetheart horn. I had no requirement for an Eb, so let it go for a song. If you can find one...
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll side with Ancientram! Getzen Eterna Eb. Had the opportunity to play it a fortnight ago valves just perfect. And a real soprano sound. Some 50 years old....

And some more comments:
From my experience playing soprano in a brass band the combination of man and Eb-horn is rather special (as is the choice of mouthpiece).
I for one have big problems with the band´s Schilke but no problems at all with the Getzen Eterna, which our pro player considers next to unplayable.

Back in the day we also had an Imperial Eb cornet with a rather lousy F# but otherwise quite good. That is with me behind. No one else could play it, hence the purchase of the Eterna.
1970 I played on a tiny probably Czech Eb cornet, I must say mostly in vain.....However at times quite well. Today I wouldn´t touch a thing like that.

So one size doesn´t fit all, paraphrasing.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Yamaha, Getzen, and Selmer for sale on the TH Marketplace right now. All three are under $2000 at various price points.

Any of those would serve you well. Personally, I'd go for the Yamaha or Selmer.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a number of Yamaha 6610s for sale. Are these good horns?
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; the YTR-6610 plays well in tune on both sides. The earlier YTR-761 usually played okay on one or the other, depending on the horn.

If I had to pick a relatively inexpensive Eb, that would be my choice; and I've owned over a dozen Ebs in my career...

HTH

Ben
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I see a number of Yamaha 6610s for sale. Are these good horns?

I did my junior recital on one of the llamas. They’re decent horns. Internation with an E flat is tricky.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I haven't done much with my Yamaha 6610 to be honest, but I have a feeling that it is an Eb trumpet with D slides. It anyone would be prepared to comment on this, confirm/refute it, this would be really appreciated.

I bought the 6610 needing a D, and the vendor that I bought my 6610 from also had a Yamaha 651 D trumpet and a Yamaha 751 D trumpet for very reasonable prices.

Not mine, but here is a 651:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/25772733-yamaha-ytr-651-d-trumpet

I bought all three trumpets for a good price, and found that the 651/751, probably because they were designed as D only trumpets, played better in D than the 6610. I personally preferred the 651 to the 751, so lent the 751 to my trumpet section colleague. He didn't need to, but he wanted to buy it off of me, so I now have the 651 and 6610.

I use the 651 as a D and will use the 6610 as a Eb, if I ever have need for it.

One of these days, I'll try the Haydn and Hummel on it rather than on Bb.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louises post makes me recall that playing Hayden on my Selmer D/Eb I bought in 1974 was a success but - later on I´ve found out that it plays even better when in D mode.
Wondering if this depends on this particular horn or playing D-trumpet is to be preferred, in general??
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. What is the opinion on current Eastman trumpets. I’ve read some much earlier posts that indicated that their Eb/D trumpet was a good value.
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
One more question. What is the opinion on current Eastman trumpets. I’ve read some much earlier posts that indicated that their Eb/D trumpet was a good value.

Consider Carol Brass, they seem to have a lot of really happy customers, so I think their Eb trumpet may present similar value.

Otherwise, for Trumpet ensembles, may a piccolo be more suitable than an Eb?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: