• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wick 3 vs 3B vs 3B Heavytop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Wick 3 vs 3B vs 3B Heavytop Reply with quote

I need a good cornet mouthpiece, and I have narrowed it down to 3 Denis Wick mouthpieces.

Anyone care to comment on the differences among Wick 3, 3B and 3B Heavytop?
I prolly won't be able to find all 3 to try, so I'll order on-line.

Thanks.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is with the Wick 4 series, but I imagine one can apply my conclusions to the 3 series.

With regard to 3 vs. 3B, I think it depends on the kind of playing you do. If you're front-row in a brass band, I would opt for the B cup. I found the Wick 4 just too difficult to play longer upper register lines. Some of this may be due to my cornet, a B&H Sovereign, which I think has a stuffy upper register to begin with. Nonetheless, I found the B cup to be helpful when playing Solo Cornet parts. It will also brighten up a bit when you push it. While not always desirable in a BBB setting, the added zing works nicely on jazz arrangements or if you want to play dixieland.

If you're in the back row, the Wick 3 will provide more richness and darkness to your sound, especially in the middle and lower register.

As for standard vs. heavytop, that comes down to personal preference. I play a Wick 4B heavytop, but I only chose the heavytop because it was handy -- a bandmate sold it to me. He swears it helps his endurance (I've heard similar claims about the Bach megatone series for trumpet) but I never tested it against a 4B standard.
Landrewp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choice between a 3 and a 3B depends on what type of playing you are using it for and how you sound on it. I don't have a good sound on a 3B but know of others that sound really good on it. Stamina is better on the 3B and the sound is brighter.

If you can't choose between a classic and a heavytop why not get a classic and a mouthpiece booster. The mouthpiece booster converts a classic mouthpiece into a heavy top.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also want to add the Wick "Heritage" model into the mix. For starters I would narrow the search to a Wick 3 "Heritage" and a Wick standard 3. The sound is to die for. Most players in British championship level BBBs play on the deeper Wick models and not the shallower "B" cup models and that includes front row solo and rep. players.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:
Most players in British championship level BBBs play on the deeper Wick models and not the shallower "B" cup models and that includes front row solo and rep. players.

I suppose another consideration is whether cornet is your primary instrument. I think if I were dedicating myself to BBB cornet playing, I would have gutted through the adjustment period and made the standard cup work.

As it happens, I moved on to the flugelhorn chair in my BBB, so my time in the front row was fleeting. Now when I use the cornet, it's for the occasional specialty piece (dixieland or reeeally British stuff) in my brass quintet. The 4B is cornetty enough for that application. I have a Curry 3BBC arriving soon, and look forward to seeing how it stacks up.

Last edited by BedfordTrumpeter on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not discount the now-discontinued (how's that for a tongue-twister) Roger Webster's Denis Wick lineup - these are great for playing, even though they slide out too easily from your hands (no ridge to grab onto).
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Do not discount the now-discontinued (how's that for a tongue-twister) Roger Webster's Denis Wick lineup - these are great for playing, even though they slide out too easily from your hands (no ridge to grab onto).

I've been playing a DW RW4 for a while (instead of my DW Heritage 4) and I have to say that the response is better above the staff on the RW model. Just a little bit crisper articulation and more security in the slots and more core to the tone quality. I do however like the tone quality and response of the Heritage model below the staff though. I have never been able to tell any difference between the RW and standard models though other than cosmetic.
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and experiences shared.

I'm trying to remember why I wouldn't consider a Heritage mp.

I'll be using cornet as a mellow jazz horn and an alternative to a pocket trumpet. I really like the sound of cornet.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some degree of matching of feel and response to your trumpet mouthpiece would be advantageous. What are you using for your trumpet?

That's been a challenge for me. I use a pocket trumpet to practice on at work, but it's all cornet the rest of the time.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Wick and Wick Heritage until I discovered Mark Curry's BBC series. Better Brass band sound and playability for less money. Available at www.mouthpieceexpress.com

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Landrewp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're switching between trumpet and coret you may find the shallower 3b easier.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wick 3 vs 3B vs 3B Heavytop Reply with quote

Mdbri wrote:
I need a good cornet mouthpiece, and I have narrowed it down to 3 Denis Wick mouthpieces.

Anyone care to comment on the differences among Wick 3, 3B and 3B Heavytop?
I prolly won't be able to find all 3 to try, so I'll order on-line.

Thanks.

Mdbri,

I play DW3, DW4, DW4B, DW4B Heavytop, DW 4B Heritage

I'm not sure if I can explain the difference between the Heavytop model to the regular model, but others may explain the differences better.

If you are a person who likes to feel the vibration of the sounds flowing through your cornet including the mouthpiece, I believe you will prefer regular mouthpieces. Such mouthpieces appear to give the player more flexibility.

If you would rather have the vibration go through the horn leading to more projection the Heavytop models may be more to your liking. Some players like Heavytop and/or Megatone mouthpieces for particular selections of music and/or or different styles of music.

I find the DW 4B Heavytop to feel good on the lips. It also adds weight on the leadpipe side to counterbalance the weight of the bell end of the cornet. Makes for a nice balance when holding the cornet.

I also enjoy the flexibility the regular DW4B mouthpiece as it enables the player "feel" the vibrations more through the mouthpiece as they are often used to such flexibility. The Heavytop and/or Megatone appears to force "that same vibration" directly through the horn causing more power and projection. I can't explain it any other way, but others will probably explain it far better.

TH has threads discussing Heavytop and/or Megatone mouthpieces vs regular mouthpieces. Regular mouthpieces appear to have an advantage over the Heavytop and/or Megatone mouthpieces due to vibration and flexibility issues. The Heavytop and/or Megatone mouthpieces may perform better for certain types of music or styles, but usually the person doesn't use a Heavytop and/or Megatone ALL the time. Those folks continue to use regular mouthpieces. They may likely use a Heavytop and/or Megatone mouthpiece for certain musical selections and/or styles of music, but continue to use regular mouthpieces anyway for their general playing.

As far as the better cornet sound, I find the DW4 to be better, but hitting the higher register is a challenge. Some players use the DW4 exclusively and are able to hit the higher register. Others find that the DW4B gives them the ability to reach the higher register much easier and they prefer the DW4B. I find the tone of the DW4 to be good for the BBB cornet sound, but the rim is uncomfortable for some which appears to be one of the biggest complaints.

By the way, have you looked into the Curry 3BBC mouthpiece that appears to be the favorite of several TH members? It appears to be a wonderful mouthpiece?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:
You will also want to add the Wick "Heritage" model into the mix. For starters I would narrow the search to a Wick 3 "Heritage" and a Wick standard 3. The sound is to die for. Most players in British championship level BBBs play on the deeper Wick models and not the shallower "B" cup models and that includes front row solo and rep. players.

Really?

I can only say that when I was playing Bb cornet in championship section I was the only person in my band NOT using a B cup and I struggled to keep up till I went to the B cup (2B).

The Wick mouthpieces work better on the medium bore cornets or original sovereign large bore. They don't work well on freer blowing instruments in my experience. They combination of wick mouthpiece and free blowing cornet creates such a low resistance system that you become totally reliant on aperture control to keep the lip buzzing - fine for playing a solo but not for getting through a long rehearsal.

That's my personal opinion on the subject. I think the Curry BBC produces a B type cup with more resistance and more suited to larger bore cornets.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the Curry BBC. I played on a DW 4B for a few years, and then switched to a DW Heritage 4B on my large bore cornets. Nice mouthpieces, but I recently bought a Curry 3BBC and man, is it easier to play! No sacrifice in tone, either, but it has a somewhat more clear tone than the Wick, which I would describe as sounding a little "fuzzy" in comparison.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Ditto on the Curry BBC. I played on a DW 4B for a few years, and then switched to a DW Heritage 4B on my large bore cornets. Nice mouthpieces, but I recently bought a Curry 3BBC and man, is it easier to play! No sacrifice in tone, either, but it has a somewhat more clear tone than the Wick, which I would describe as sounding a little "fuzzy" in comparison.

Dale,

It appears more and more folks are switching to the Curry BBC for that very same reason. Those who have purchased one rave about how good it is.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Flattergrub wrote:

Really?

I can only say that when I was playing Bb cornet in championship section I was the only person in my band NOT using a B cup and I struggled to keep up till I went to the B cup (2B).

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?43188-Cornet-mpc-for-Championship-level-band&highlight=

Have also heard directly or through other parties from Dyke, Cory, B&R, Fodens, etc. and got pretty much the same answer as the guys from Grimethorpe. Mostly the deep Wicks or similar depth mpcs (Yami David King, Roger Webster's Alliance, etc.)

As for the Curry BBCs that I have tried I would say they are "somewhat" similar to the shallower Wick "B" cup models which is probably what Mark aimed for but they are not even close to the deep Wick models either in tone or response. From a marketing point of view I would say it's probably a good idea as the vast majority of folks aren't going to put in the time to work up the chops to handle the deep cups.

Billy Wilder
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd, thanks for your detailed reply.

Curry BBC seems like a good idea, I'll take it into account.

The cornet is a nice little Kanstul-made Besson, and my trumpet mouthpiece is an Obrac copy of Monette B4. It's the best mp I've played so far (I've tried Yamaha 14B4, 16D; Bach 7C; Selmer 5S 5).
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few responses to that thread on the mouthpiece so its hard to be definitive. The Alliance mouthpieces come in deep "b" and " a" versions. The "a" is v shaped but shallower. The Yamaha mouthpieces are similar to those.

It all depends what instruments they are playing on, but I don't think that the majority of championship section players are using wick no letter mouthpieces. I mean just having a think through one or two people I know, one is playing a wick heavyweight and I think that only comes in B cup.

I was invited to join a band in that section earlier n the year and have agreed to guest at non contest engagements if they need me. So on those days you can add the Curry BBC to the list of mouthpieces being used!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Marshall used an Alliance 1 when he played with us last fall before that he played a wick 2. (He is the principal with Black Dyke)
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many on here bemoan their efforts using a Wick 4. Yet no one seems to consider the Wick 4 1/2. Unfortunately Wick don't do a 3 1/2.

I'm getting a sense that the Curry BBC 3 or 2 supplies the missing link.

Anything in this? Frank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: