• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

calicchio lovers


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 2505
Location: New York

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: calicchio lovers Reply with quote

please brag about your horns all you wish. what's so special about the current crop of horns and so forth.
i'm given to believe the #1 bells have some light and sizzle and are the ticket for recording. anyone having a good experience with the #3 bell don't be shy. they seem to be much less common and i would love to hear the feedback.
any sound clips that particularly demonstrate the horns' strengths would be much appreciated, and while we're on the subject, you can throw in the flugel.
seem to be some loyal and satisfied clientele out there.
..chuck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 1193

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a hybrid Calicchio. Originally, it was a ~2002 Hollywood 1s7. Before coming into my possession, the horn had new valves made in Tulsa. And after owning it for a while, I had John install a #2 leadpipe on it, to make it a Hollywood 1s bell and Tulsa 2 leadpipe.

With the 7 leadpipe, the horn was so powerful that I could literally dominate a section of Bachs and Yamahas without even trying. We recorded in jazz band one day and for the last note I pointed my horn right at the mic and on playback, the only thing you could hear was the 2nd trumpet part I was playing! The 7 is very tight, though, and I grew dissatisfied with it.

With the number 2, the sound is mildly more tame and a little broader, but you still don't want to be the victim in front of the horn. My instructor, a long-time Bach guy, liked it for playing powerful stuff. Yet after a few days, he shared my opinion that the 1s2 is not a great all-around horn. They record great, and playing outdoors they don't disappear or lose punch, important in the wind we have out here. But for playing a ballad or in a quintet, the sound is just so powerful that it doesn't work as well as the more common horns. The number 9 leadpipe might tame it further, but I don't think any leadpipe can really "tame" the 1s bell. My valves are also very fast, partly because of the very stiff springs in them. I do scale exercises on the Calicchio, then when I go back to my Kanstul with it's lighter springs my fingers seem to really fly.

I've played a 3/9. Think a Bach 72 with balls. The sound was dark and thick, with a distinct growl in the low register. I've never heard another horn with that kind of growl.

I've also played a Calicchio with a 2 bell, which was probably the most normal of the bunch and as a result the least interesting. I recall it sounding kind of like a brighter Bach.

I look at Calicchio trumpets as being job-specific horns. They really do excel at playing lead, commercial, and jazz more than sonatas and orchestral work. To my ears, the things that Calicchios do well, they do better than any other trumpet.

If you want an analogy, think like this: Bachs make statements. Calicchios make exclamations.

Chuck Findley doesn't play Calicchios anymore, but he did for a long time and I believe this recording is a Calicchio. I don't recall what his version was, I think either a 1s/2 or 1s/3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVKt9tc2FM
_________________
Kanstul 1600
Kanstul 1510

www.speeddemosarchive.com
www.thehungersite.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 1536

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that a 1s/2 can really do just about anything - it even works for chamber music and for playing softly. It's the player and the playing; the horn itself doesn't know the difference. Good intonation, responsiveness, and a fine clear tone make a lot of difference, no matter how the horn's used.

For feedback on the #3 bells, try listening to some Freddie Hubbard. My current personal favorite Calicchio is an R32, but the 3 bell certainly works well with other leadpipes, such as the 9.
_________________
Vintage Olds & Reynolds & Selmers galore
Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 2505
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
I've found that a 1s/2 can really do just about anything - it even works for chamber music and for playing softly. It's the player and the playing; the horn itself doesn't know the difference. Good intonation, responsiveness, and a fine clear tone make a lot of difference, no matter how the horn's used.

For feedback on the #3 bells, try listening to some Freddie Hubbard. My current personal favorite Calicchio is an R32, but the 3 bell certainly works well with other leadpipes, such as the 9.


chopsgone
funny how each manufacturer's big seller winds up being the versatile unit that lends itself to all types of expression.
when you're spec'ing out horns, there's a lot to be said for not getting too creative.
i haven't heard this about the 1s/2. it can really work in a variety of venues, including a warm tone for jazz?
that 'fine clear tone' description should get under everyone's skin, in a place like this.
..chuck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 1536

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - it'll do pretty much everything a good trumpet should. Avoid the extra-shallow "lead" type mouthpieces and it'll really surprise you with how versatile it can be. The "fine clear tone" is probably a direct result of having both a great bell design and a highly skilled bell maker - it's as pure a sound as I've ever heard from any trumpet (in this case, the later Tulsa and Canby horns by John Duda sound distinctly better to me than the older ones).
_________________
Vintage Olds & Reynolds & Selmers galore
Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fredo
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 377
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

I love the 3 bell, no record, i'm amateur and currently works on intonation so perhaps in a few months...

I've found this very interesting thread on the Calicchio bells :

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/calicchio-bells-one-right-me-20395.html

listen to Lee Thornburg on Youtube , he plays a 3/7.

A bit "harsh playing" on many clips for my taste if i can say that, but still interesting.

On this clip i think you can ear some of the characteristic sound of the 3/7 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcbvwLWgrPw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL7828984CE9E2BA73

The 3 bell seems to have been modeled ob the LB committee bell.
_________________
Frédéric FELTZ
Calicchio 3/7 ml 2012 silver.
Carol Brass 6200 flugel lacquer.
Carol Brass pocket trumpet lacquer.
CG Personal Kanstul and Marc. CGP and CG3 mpcs.
Wedge B 6B FLX custom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 8636
Location: The land of GR and Getzen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about their "z" bell? Apparently they made a 1/S2z, and others?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 1536

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Z" is a lightweight bronze bell. I've never had a chance to try one.
_________________
Vintage Olds & Reynolds & Selmers galore
Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cc515
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 13
Location: Jacksonville, NC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a horn in the combination 1sZ/10 large bore light weight. That horn has a lot of sizzle in the upper register, quick response and the valve action was nice and smooth. When I get a chance I will be buying one of these horns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mortakye
Veteran Member


Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 169
Location: Cincinnati, OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love calicchios, I think that I've owned 6 of them over the years. My favorite bell is the 3 bell, I'm not sure how to describe the sound, it is clear, bell like and dark all at the same time. My current Bb horn has a custom bronze, lightweight 3z bell and I absolutely love it!
I recently got a Calicchio C trumpet with a balanced valve block and a three bell. It is unlike any c trumpet I've ever played. The coolest thing about it is that all the notes just seem to be right where you want them. It is very easy to play in tune.
_________________
Nate Banzhof

Calicchio 3LZ/3rL
LA Benge C
Courtois 154R Flugel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 8636
Location: The land of GR and Getzen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunburstbasser wrote:

I look at Calicchio trumpets as being job-specific horns. They really do excel at playing lead, commercial, and jazz more than sonatas and orchestral work. To my ears, the things that Calicchios do well, they do better than any other trumpet.


I put the Callet Superchops in league with the 1S/2. Have you ever had the chance to make that comparison? What I found is the Callet can be civilized; still not what I'd use in a legit setting, although people have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 1193

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could try the Callet. As it stands, my trumpet buying days are likely over for the next couple years at least. Once I have the funds, I want to try as many horns as possible and try to give a decent impression of each.
_________________
Kanstul 1600
Kanstul 1510

www.speeddemosarchive.com
www.thehungersite.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 899
Location: Southern CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: calicchio lovers Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
please brag about your horns all you wish. ...


I'll have to let you know. ... I should take delivery within the next few weeks. I'll (hopefully) brag on it then.

Calicchio R39 - heavy receiver, oversized bell rim (5.25"), thumb ring, heavy bottom caps, raw finish.

It'll be my first (and only) non-Kanstul in years.

Stay tuned. ...
_________________
Wild Thing Bb
Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper
Flip Oakes 'C'

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
- Yogi Berra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 8636
Location: The land of GR and Getzen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does r39 just mean reverse tuning slide, 3 bell and 9 pipe? Or is it a completely different beast?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Adam V
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 1764
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Does r39 just mean reverse tuning slide, 3 bell and 9 pipe? Or is it a completely different beast?

I believe it means a red brass 3 bell with a 9 leadpipe, in medium-large bore.
_________________
http://adamvanvleet.weebly.com/about.html

Yamaha 6335HSII Bb
Yamaha 635 flugel
Yamalone 8445G/MC2 C (borrowed)
Getzen Eb (borrowed)

Bach 1-1/4C (legit)
Reeves M/69 (commercial/lead)
ACB MV3-MDF (flugel)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 1536

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close, but bore size isn't part of the model designation. This is my favorite Calicchio; mine's ML bore. Quoting from the too-long-dormant Calicchio web site (a saved copy - it's still not up yet):

R-32 (Heavy Red Brass 3 bell with 2 leadpipe available in all three bore sizes)
Balances the responsive and open #2 leadpipe with a big R3 bell. This trumpet maintains a quick response and a consistent sound and feel throughout all registers. This is a very versatile instrument. From a beautiful warm tone to a sizzle when pushed. Also available in R-32M(.453), and R-32L (.468). R-32ML (.460) is the most popular.
_________________
Vintage Olds & Reynolds & Selmers galore
Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Drapp
Veteran Member


Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 403
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunburstbasser wrote:
I own a hybrid Calicchio. Originally, it was a ~2002 Hollywood 1s7. Before coming into my possession, the horn had new valves made in Tulsa. And after owning it for a while, I had John install a #2 leadpipe on it, to make it a Hollywood 1s bell and Tulsa 2 leadpipe.

With the 7 leadpipe, the horn was so powerful that I could literally dominate a section of Bachs and Yamahas without even trying. We recorded in jazz band one day and for the last note I pointed my horn right at the mic and on playback, the only thing you could hear was the 2nd trumpet part I was playing! The 7 is very tight, though, and I grew dissatisfied with it.

With the number 2, the sound is mildly more tame and a little broader, but you still don't want to be the victim in front of the horn. My instructor, a long-time Bach guy, liked it for playing powerful stuff. Yet after a few days, he shared my opinion that the 1s2 is not a great all-around horn. They record great, and playing outdoors they don't disappear or lose punch, important in the wind we have out here. But for playing a ballad or in a quintet, the sound is just so powerful that it doesn't work as well as the more common horns. The number 9 leadpipe might tame it further, but I don't think any leadpipe can really "tame" the 1s bell. My valves are also very fast, partly because of the very stiff springs in them. I do scale exercises on the Calicchio, then when I go back to my Kanstul with it's lighter springs my fingers seem to really fly.

I've played a 3/9. Think a Bach 72 with balls. The sound was dark and thick, with a distinct growl in the low register. I've never heard another horn with that kind of growl.

I've also played a Calicchio with a 2 bell, which was probably the most normal of the bunch and as a result the least interesting. I recall it sounding kind of like a brighter Bach.

I look at Calicchio trumpets as being job-specific horns. They really do excel at playing lead, commercial, and jazz more than sonatas and orchestral work. To my ears, the things that Calicchios do well, they do better than any other trumpet.

If you want an analogy, think like this: Bachs make statements. Calicchios make exclamations.

Chuck Findley doesn't play Calicchios anymore, but he did for a long time and I believe this recording is a Calicchio. I don't recall what his version was, I think either a 1s/2 or 1s/3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVKt9tc2FM


I also had a Hollywood 1s/7 and I found it to be excellent in the studio and stage; the easiest extreme upper-register of any horn that I have played and we are talking about triple-high G's here. It has an alive, vibrant, commercial sound when played with a lead mouthpiece but really tames down a lot with a symphonic mouthpiece in place; thus making it suitable for other venues. Were I to do it again (and I have been thinking about this) I might opt for a copper 1s/7 or 1s/2. The 7 leadpipe is a bit tighter than the 2, but it seems to allow me to last longer on demanding lead parts due to the increase in resistance and articulation. Both pipes are versatile and mate with the 1s bell nicely. I LOVE the Calicchio and the instruments that John makes today are the best ever You might also consider John's "Dave Trigg Model" in medium bore, this is a fantastic horn for studio work.
_________________
Michael R. Drapp, Founder and CEO, nPart, LLC
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
michaeldrapp@gmail.com
michael@nPart.co
NPART LLC on Facebook.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 8636
Location: The land of GR and Getzen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, one of them in the marketplace ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mark936
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2002
Posts: 1253
Location: Riverside,Calyfornia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmHsDlGNzFE

along with Freddie this Chuck Findley song best exemplifies the Calicchio sound for me.

my current Calicchios - old 3/7 and Kanstul with 1s bell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 404
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search "The Last Trumpet Maker" on Youtube. See Dominick himself pound out the trumpets/ Part 1 and 2.. Wish I had one.
_________________
All Bach Strad trumpets and cornet.
Bch 1C mouthpiece most of the time
AFM 60-471
Phi Mu Alpha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group