• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calling Yamaha experts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Calling Yamaha experts Reply with quote

Just looking to buy a yamaha 850 trumpet .I have heard they are good horns and because they are special order horns there aren't any to try here in the UK .If anyone out there knows how they blow let me know.
I know there is a previous post pertaining to this model but there was very little info regarding how they blow
Andy
MichaelM2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck, haven't seen any here in the states either. I have seen them available from Japan for about $2,000 US, so there aren't too many of us here on this side of the pond that have access to them either. It seems like one of the lower priced professional Yamahas. I would be eager to give one a try, but guess we have to wait.

Mike

If you want to be the one of the first to own one it's available thru Rakutan Global Market. http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/k-gakki/item/yam-ytr850/
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a music store, Quinlan and Fabish in South Bend Indiana that the GVSU Trumpet ensemble played at the "Grand Re-Opening" for.

They had 2 YTR850s there. As a catch, our teacher (A Yamaha artist) told the guy on first and myself (fifth trumpet) to play them for the concert, as an example. We walked into the room having never played these horns before.... and performed on them.

Well, they were so-so. They played pretty well, open blow, good intonation etc.. but the sound was thin and tinny. That was just our experience. For a younger player looking to upgrade, it wouldn't be a bad decision. It's above the 4335 and about par with the 6335, but below the 8335 and the Artist model horns. (NY, Chicago, Vizzutti, EM, Z, LA. etc....)

Also, please don't take this as a Yamaha bashing post, I feel quite the opposite, I think that Yamaha puts out some great horns. I love my Chicago C. In fact it's only 1 of 3 C trumpets that I have truly liked playing. (The other two being a particular Custom C trumpet made in Interlochen Michigan, and the other being that Monette XLT STC C trumpet that was all over the shop videos as the next big thing to come out of their shop. Yes it was all that.)
MichaelM2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on their price point that I've seen it doesn't appear to be a top of the line horn. Looks like they're feeling out the marked for a lower priced pro-horn. As the prices climb the used market keeps getting better.

Mike
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them all, and the Xeno
is by far the best Yamaha out there, IMHO...
At least mine is!
gozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidkoch wrote:
There was a music store, Quinlan and Fabish in South Bend Indiana that the GVSU Trumpet ensemble played at the "Grand Re-Opening" for.

They had 2 YTR850s there. As a catch, our teacher (A Yamaha artist) told the guy on first and myself (fifth trumpet) to play them for the concert, as an example. We walked into the room having never played these horns before.... and performed on them.

Well, they were so-so. They played pretty well, open blow, good intonation etc.. but the sound was thin and tinny. That was just our experience. For a younger player looking to upgrade, it wouldn't be a bad decision. It's above the 4335 and about par with the 6335, but below the 8335 and the Artist model horns. (NY, Chicago, Vizzutti, EM, Z, LA. etc....)

Also, please don't take this as a Yamaha bashing post, I feel quite the opposite, I think that Yamaha puts out some great horns. I love my Chicago C. In fact it's only 1 of 3 C trumpets that I have truly liked playing. (The other two being a particular Custom C trumpet made in Interlochen Michigan, and the other being that Monette XLT STC C trumpet that was all over the shop videos as the next big thing to come out of their shop. Yes it was all that.)

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.I was AMAZED you had to perform on one of these horns without warning but saddened to hear your thoughts David -what a shame they performed poorly.Maybe the venturi and taper don't lend themselves to a fat commercial type sound.Did the horn blow freer than a benge?It was mentioned on a previous post that the are the yamaha 'Benge' equivalent -what is your take on that?
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: