• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Benge Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Vintage Benge Trumpets Reply with quote

I am in the market for a vintage Benge (either LA or Burbank). I have played on my Dad's Burbank Benge (Serial 4xxx) #3 bell MLP. First what are the differences between the Burbank and the L.A. Benge's? What are your thoughts/experiences with both?

Like I said, I am in the market. So, if you have one laying around let me know. I'm open to any offers. At the same time I really do not want to pay over $750-800. But shoot me offers anyway.

Thanks so much,

-Trumpet2012fhl
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Burbanks Reply with quote

The Burbank horns were put together by Benge, and with added experience. The bells were slowly processed, by hand. The overtones in the sound are truly the broadest spectrum of any trumpet I have ever played. The early LA horns can be very good..I have 2..had 6 two months ago..and they are great ones..But the Burbanks have something else..smoke-in' and able to be used in every circumstance..including burning lead..be bop..or chamber. Only in Orchestra does the pitch thing and slightly un-even quality, note to note, detract..and some of the great ones have it all. When the now famous trumpet maker took over the shop, the bells became dead, for the most part like many other horns.
Venturi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Burbank Benges are almost always phenomenal horns, in my experience. In fact, I've played a bunch and never found a bad one. They're rare nowadays since most people who have them hang on to them forever because they're simply great players. You're not likely to find a good one in the price range you specify.

Many of the Los Angeles Benges are good horns as well. Far more of them were made than Burbank Benges, and you could well find a decent one in the price range you mention. The 3x ML version is the most common, and the 3x MLP is somewhat more difficult to find. If you can play before you buy, you just might be pleased with either one.
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Burbank Benge x6 bell Played it for years. Guys in my wind ensemble called it a Laser cannon! hmmm? They were right! The #3 bells have a sweeter sound, but if you want to peel paint off the back wall look for the six!
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Burbank Benge 3X bell. Seriel # 6---. I love this horn. One of hte best b-flats I have ever played. I love it. They just have a great sound.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: