• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sharpness above the staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play above the staff my intonation tends to go sharp. Is this normal? If not will this problem solve itself as my embouchure develops? I have been trying to make a conscious effort not to pinch notes. I have only been playing again for about 4 months.

Thanks,
Tim
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excessive mouthpiece pressure can cause sharpness all over the horn and especially in the upper register. Exercises that balance and synchronize your embouchure should solve this issue.
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 07:08 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:51 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would to thank all of you for your replies. Sounds like I have more work to do. This trumpet thang is definately a challenge. I like it that way. Each minor victory gives me a rush. ( Pardon the '70s terminology.).

Tim
RooTheHorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man,

When was the last time you gave your horn a bath? It is known that particles from the mouth, if given the chance to build up inside the horn at a node or antinode can cause notes to be blown out of tune. Just a thought.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-27 09:55, RooTheHorn wrote:
Hey man,

When was the last time you gave your horn a bath? It is known that particles from the mouth, if given the chance to build up inside the horn at a node or antinode can cause notes to be blown out of tune. Just a thought.
I just had the horn refurbished and chem cleaned. I believe I am using too much pressure. Especially when tired. I played a "G" above the staff very sharp. I consciously backed off on the pressure and blew an in tune "high C". I appreciate all advice. I hadn't thought about the effects of a dirty horn. After I got my horn back from the shop I stuck a new GR66MS mouth piece into it. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to blow into my old Benge. I regularly give my horn a bath. But after sitting for a few years it needed cleaning. I'm sure a dirty mouthpiece can effect the characteristics of a horn too.

Thanks to all,
Tim
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-27 09:55, RooTheHorn wrote:
Hey man,

Actually, if particles were sticking to the backbore of his mouthpiece and reducing its size, this would tend to flatten the upper register.

I'm sure his "problem" is not really a problem at all! He just needs to keep practicing and developing and the situation will take care of itself, as long as he is consciously aware of it.

Of course, no matter how much he develops and improves, when he is tired the problem (sharpness in the upper register) will quite possibly return. I tend to go sharp in the upper register when I'm tired, and I've been play for 32 years!

Sincerely (but hopefully not Sharply),

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-27 15:03, John Mohan wrote:

I'm sure his "problem" is not really a problem at all! He just needs to keep practicing and developing and the situation will take care of itself, as long as he is consciously aware of it.

Sincerely (but hopefully not Sharply),

John Mohan

John,
Thanks for letting me see a light at the end of the tunnel. My true problem is that my brain remembers how I played 20 years ago and expects me to be able to play at that level now. It can be very frustrating remembering playing at a certain level but not being able to play nearly as well. I am sure most trumpet players who have picked up their horn after a long lay off understand what I am saying.

rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem ever since I remember. Apparently its quite noticeable too! YUCK
It was a relief to hear that other have this issue as well. I am almost sure I am using too much pressure.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: as you ascend, *think low* on the notes. When you go sharp, you are playing on the top of the note. Try playing all of them just below the note slot. Not enough to crack notes, but enough to get on the correct side of the pitch.

David
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as you go up, think about acceleration, not ascention, as if you are driving through a phrase to reach the end. As John M. said, this will work itself out over time.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others I struggle with this issue. I have had good success (from the advice of an excellent teacher) from playing the Schlossberg studies with a tuner. For best results use the exercises that slur over various partials. Make sure that you play the exercise slowly and play each note in tune, using a tuner as an aid. I was amazed at how far off I was on the 4th and 5th partials when I first started.

After a little time the progress is very noticeable. Only spend a few minutes a day on this. Over time you will become accustomed to what the intervals and pitches should be and you will be able to lock them in better and better.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first lesson with Charly yesterday. Very enlightening. Hopefully after a few months of Caruso I'll start working some of these problems out. I think the harmonics and 6 notes will help tremendously. Practicing more efficiently won't hurt either.

Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:51 ]
Don O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim:

We are close to being two peas in a pod. I laid off first for 26 years, then later for another six and even later another 5 or 6. Retired at 65 in '96 and started again in earnest Jan '97. My upper register is limited to high C for consistent playing - I push out D3, Eb3 & E3 when lips are fresh. I haven't had the sharpness problem up there. I too play on an LA Benge MLP, 1979, with Callet 7S and 10S m.p.'s. You are so right - us CB players desparately want to play as well as we did in those earlier years. It 'aint easy anymore.

Cheers! Don Olmsted
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I can spell!!!(<----Sarcasm)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: