• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

French horn low register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herb the Horn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: French horn low register Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there who has experience with the low register on the French horn? I haven't seen any writing by Reinhardt on this subject.

The French horn has a small mouthpiece but plays well below the range of the tenor trombone without extension. Hornists generally drop their jaw for low notes and most have a break around G below the staff, concert C (horn music is in F). This is contrary to Reinhard's teachings. Indeed, dropping the jaw causes problems, including tonguing issues.

I have found that following the Reinhardt method has helped me a lot, and lessons from Dave have been invaluable. My high range has improved. However, while I do not have a break around G below the staff, it is not a stable note.

Anybody?
Olinhannum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primary Horn player here. First off, I'll say that G below the staff is consistently one of the worst notes on the instrument. Not in the same way that certain notes are bad on trumpet. When a particular note is is a bad one on trumpet, it typically plays out of tune, but is otherwise a regular note. The written low G on horn, while also frequently out of tune, just feels unstable. You often times have to man-handle it with lip and air to get it not to play in tune necessarily, but just to get it to hold pitch at all, then use your hand to adjust pitch. If it's the tonic (as it often is because of old marches in concert C), I always suggest fingering it 13 on the Bb side, which is the compromise I've found works best for me.

Trouble that french horn is unlike trumpet, who's primary design characteristics have remained more or less the same for a century. Horns are made of all kinds of different wraps, that fall into different categories, and have different blows, feels, weak and strong notes. So what works great on my horn at my gigs may fall well short on and at yours.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with a few horn players very successfully to get the low range to open up without dropping the jaw. But I'm not a horn player so I don't know the idiosynchrasies of the intrument.

One thing I've never understood is why horn players insist on the traditional size mouthpiece when the horn range is really no different from trombone range. It would be so much easier on a larger rim.
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, maybe you should make some "better" horn mouthpieces...

BTW, the XT mouthpiece you sent me is great! Much better for me than the LT!
Herb the Horn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olinhannum wrote:

Trouble that french horn is unlike trumpet, who's primary design characteristics have remained more or less the same for a century. Horns are made of all kinds of different wraps, that fall into different categories, and have different blows, feels, weak and strong notes. So what works great on my horn at my gigs may fall well short on and at yours.

REALLY? the French horn is unlike the trumpet??!!

I have analyzed the problem--after all, I am a retired research engineer. It's partly a problem with the horn and partly my chops.

If you have played a natural horn in F, you may note that that note is solid. Even a valvectomy horn is better. I think that a node falls in the valve cluster and doesn't know where to exist. When you play the note on the Bb side 1-3, the node falls in a better place. That doesn't work on my horn, a Knopf wrap Finke.

My chop problem is that at piano dynamics the buzz is concentrated in the center, where it should be. As I crescendo, suddenly the buzz is spread across the mouthpiece. On lower notes the buzz is across the mouthpiece at all dynamics. At higher notes the buzz is concentrated. Notes a third higher and lower have some of the problem. I guess I need to strengthen my chops to smooth the transition.
Herb the Horn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I have worked with a few horn players very successfully to get the low range to open up without dropping the jaw. But I'm not a horn player so I don't know the idiosynchrasies of the intrument.

One thing I've never understood is why horn players insist on the traditional size mouthpiece when the horn range is really no different from trombone range. It would be so much easier on a larger rim.
The shape of the French horn mouthpiece is part tradition and part mystique (translation: BS).

However, the French horn's specific sound is partly a result of its built-in inefficiencies. If you made a horn mouthpiece more trombone-like, the horn might sound more like a trombone! According to the famous hornist Barry Tuckwell, the only thing that's worse than a horn sounding like a trombone is a trombone sounding like a horn. You know the jokes.

Doug, let me know when you are in Central New Jersey. Maybe you could give me a lesson. Dave has certainly helped me on high range and endurance.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb the Horn wrote:
Doug Elliott wrote:

The shape of the French horn mouthpiece is part tradition and part mystique (translation: BS).

However, the French horn's specific sound is partly a result of its built-in inefficiencies. If you made a horn mouthpiece more trombone-like, the horn might sound more like a trombone! According to the famous hornist Barry Tuckwell, the only thing that's worse than a horn sounding like a trombone is a trombone sounding like a horn. You know the jokes.

Doug, let me know when you are in Central New Jersey. Maybe you could give me a lesson. Dave has certainly helped me on high range and endurance.

Herb,
Please let all who read your posts and challenges that you have those short lower teeth. That is important information that Doug or anyone else coming on this topic may want to know.
Dave S.
Herb the Horn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:

Herb,
Please let all who read your posts and challenges that you have those short lower teeth. That is important information that Doug or anyone else coming on this topic may want to know.
Dave S.
Thanks, Dave, you're right. I do have those "short stumpy lower teeth" with a long (but not thick) lower lip relative to the space. Dave has classified me as tongue-type III. I need to support my lower lip with my tongue, since the lower teeth don't.

I don't know if the short lower teeth is germane to my low register problem. I suspect that my thin lips are. At rest I have no red showing, although when I form an embouchure, there is enough red showing that I place the mouthpiece on the edge of the lower red.

With regard to a mouthpiece in the trombone range, that large size certainly wouldn't work. I can't fit one between my nose and lower jaw without opening wide.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a LONG way between standard sizes of french horn and trombone mouthpieces. If you had a french horn shaped mouthpiece, on a larger ID, you might get a gorgeous sound and find it much easier to play everything except high notes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: