• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Classical soundscape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Classical soundscape Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing a CD for some of my pupils to show them some of the great players, hopefully to introduce them to greatness but also to inspire them to listen and maybe start building their own library. Now I have a rough idea of who I'm going to include and the tracks, but I'd be interested who you'd include on your trumpet mix tape. Let's keep it with classical players (I'm thinking of doing a similar thread in the jazz/commercial forum), and bare in mind that including Bud playing Mahler 8 maybe be interesting but may be too big a piece to inspire a young student, so maybe either stick to solo rep or short orchestral pieces.
I can't wait to see who you come up with and I'll post my list shortly
Rob Rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be complete without Maurice Andre, possibly performing the Arban CoV variations -- as a pure matter of technique, you can't get much better than that.

Rob Rothman
crazyalien257
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakan Hardenberger on piccolo. He absolutely blew my mind when I first listened to him, totally transformed my concept of sound.

Timofei Dokshitzer on Bb would be on my list as well.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez with Flight of the Bumblebee, Moto Perpetuo, La Virgen de la Macarena, and perhaps some other of his transcriptions of famous classical works.
Malcolm McNab on the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in the right key, too. You can tell them Malcolm is on literally many hundreds of movie soundtracks and TV shows.
For the Mahler 8th with Bud, lead up to the astonishing high concert D in the last movement. A friend of mine was on that tour as an extra for the section and told me you had to hear that live to believe it. As a contrast, get the astonishing Reiner/CSO "The Fairy's Kiss" by Stravinsky and listen to Bud's solo at the very end. (As well as the great playing by the entire orchestra, including Rudy Nashan and Bill Babcock on 2nd and 3rd trumpet). Bud has quite a few solos in this piece, including one that starts on low F#.
Don't forget the marvelous Maurice Murphy and treasure of performances he has left for us.
Allen Vizzutti with his Carnival of Venus to show what a trumpet can do in the hands of a unbelievable technical player who is also a fabulous musician.
Nakariakov and early Marsalis have some wonderful recordings, too.
This is a great project! Have fun.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite trumpet recordings:

Hakan Hardenberger, Tamberg, Telemann
Phil Smith, Honegger Intrada, Enesco Legend
Mark Gould, Hindemith
Center City Brass, Dahl
Chris Gekker, Ewazen Sonata
Matthias Hofs, Farnaby, Neruda
Alison Balsom, BWV 1004
Dokshizer, Vainberg concerto, Rachmaninoff Vocalise
Ryan Anthony, Haydn
Wynton, Carnival of Venice, Tomasi concerto
Scott Thornburg, Kennan, Pilss sonatas

=)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: