• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need some help from you guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schlotsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I must say that this forum is wonderfull.... Been reading it the past couple of days, and I'm very impressed with the knowledge you guys have.

Here is my situation. ( this is rather long but trying to give you my history in a nutshell)

I was a music education major in college and about 3 weeks into school my professor had me go through an embocher change. To make it short, I had to drop my chin ( he said flatten) and I went through daily Stamp exercises and various flow exercises combined with pedel tones and lib bends (which I never did in the past, I never thought it made any sense). Well the results where frustrating. I lived in the practice room only to discover a big decresse in endurance and range (from being able to play for hours above the staff with a fat sound, to an hour max with a sound that sound rather thin above a first ledger A..... I had an octave above it previously).... Well that led me to drop out of music and perty much hit rock bottom.

A year and a half later I moved to Wisconsin (I was marching corps) and took some lessons from a local professor. By then I went back to my old embouchure. Diferent professor, different opinion, he said it was "VERY" musculer and didn't change a thing. Things where great up there but I had to move back.

Well after that summer I let the horn collect dust..... Four weeks ago I was asked to do a band camp and I had to teach the leads (they still though I had my range). Well I got a little of everything that week..... There where 5 trumpet players on the staff (3 of which where retired band directors). Well you know trumpet players and I got 4 different coments about my embouchure....... To Soft, Very Musculer, To much movemet, To much "pivot" (Not in you guys terms).

Now I'm totaly confused and lost...... I plan on going back to school in the spring (haven't decided where) and I'm trying to get back in shape.

I know I've rambeled but I'm asking you guys because you are not in the "my emboucher is the RIGHT emb. crowd" and I feel you guys might be the best help I can get.

Any advice on what to do will be VERY much meet with a heart felt thank you.

Thanks again,
Shannon Jeffreys
sj_mystre@hotmail.com
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should play the embouchure that sounds and feels the best and forget about what anybody tells you.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
schlotsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-20 15:26, jhatpro wrote:
I think you should play the embouchure that sounds and feels the best and forget about what anybody tells you.

I honestly try to..... Just past issues creep back in.

When one says.... you wont have much of a carer (length wise) it does play with your mind.

Thanks,
Shannon
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all welcome to TH Shannon. It seems to me if you had an embouchure that gave you a nice fat sound to A above high C, you should go back to what works best for you.

It sounds like the one professor is the "my way is the only way" instructor. As you have probable noticed there are many forums on different methods of playing the trumpet. Again you have to find what works best for you not what works for anyone else.

Best of luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think you should play the embouchure that sounds and feels the best and forget about what anybody tells you."

What on earth does this have to do with Dr. Reinhardt's teachings???

-Brendan
schlotsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-20 16:55, DSR wrote:
"I think you should play the embouchure that sounds and feels the best and forget about what anybody tells you."

What on earth does this have to do with Dr. Reinhardt's teachings???

-Brendan

Brendan.... I was thinking the same thing. I wanted a response from the heavyweights of this forum.... If I wanted ones like the one you quoted (I realize it's not you bashing my topic...... at least I hope so), I would of posted on the Pedagogy forum.

Shannon
sj_mystre@hotmail.com
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the original post was in the Reinhardt Forum and apparently was an effort to elicit input from Reinhardt experts. The only thing I know about his teachings is what I've read in his Pivot Encyclopedia. I was only offering my best advice based on my own experience.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon,

The first thing I would do is to NEVER play another pedal tone again.

The second thing is to get with buzzing your chops (no horn, or mouthpiece used).

If you are a downstream type (more upper lip used) buzzing is almost a cure all.

If you are an upsteam type (more lower lip used) you can still benefit from buzzing, just don't try and transfer that setting to the actual playing.

Try if you can to get with one of the teachers of the list at the Reinhardt Pivot page.

Good Luck

Chris
schlotsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-21 10:58, Mr.Hollywood wrote:
Shannon,

The first thing I would do is to NEVER play another pedal tone again.

The second thing is to get with buzzing your chops (no horn, or mouthpiece used).

If you are a downstream type (more upper lip used) buzzing is almost a cure all.

If you are an upsteam type (more lower lip used) you can still benefit from buzzing, just don't try and transfer that setting to the actual playing.

Try if you can to get with one of the teachers of the list at the Reinhardt Pivot page.

Good Luck

Chris

First thanks,

1... Don't worry about pedal tones.... I've done enough in my life and always thought it hurt more than helped

2.... I've been doing the lip buzzing since I've read it on this forum and I've already noticed that I lost my double buzz and it seems to help. Also been getting use to wet lips and setting than breathing.

3.... As far as my stream..... I've realized what I think and what I am is two different things....... BUT I've found a visualizer mouthpiece and I might get some pics taken or a vid.... I belive I'm a IIIA but I want to make sure.

Thanks again..... any more advice would be welcomed,
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If indeed you are a IIIA buzzing is the greatest tonic in the world for you.

It can do you only good.

Chris

Hey I just noticed......Why are you playing such a large deep mouthpiece?

Just asking.............

[ This Message was edited by: Mr.Hollywood on 2003-08-21 18:46 ]
schlotsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-21 18:45, Mr.Hollywood wrote:
If indeed you are a IIIA buzzing is the greatest tonic in the world for you.

It can do you only good.

Chris

Hey I just noticed......Why are you playing such a large deep mouthpiece?

Just asking.............

[ This Message was edited by: Mr.Hollywood on 2003-08-21 18:46 ]

Hehehe.... when I went to this piece..... I was going smaller. I was on a 1C till I started college, actually played on a schilke 20 for a time.

Reason at the time.... I wanted a smaller piece than my 1C, so I went to the 4md. 9*, I like bigger backbores. I also had the rim be narrow and with lots of grip.

It worked at that time..... I honestly need to get a new one.... a lots changed since then, I just don't have a small piece around the house.

[ This Message was edited by: schlotsky on 2003-08-21 19:12 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon,

The best way to delve into the pivot system is to get a pivot system teacher and a copy of The Encylopedia of the Pivot System. For me, I live in Canada (far away from any P.S. teacher) so it is costly and time consuming for me to go see a teacher. Dave Sheetz offers a video lesson which is very quite helpful. It is not as good as a real-life lesson but it is the next best thing in my mind. If you can't make it to a P.S. teacher, I highly recommend checking this out. You can find out more about the video lesson at http://www.airstreamdynamics.com. I recently had a video lesson and it was very helpful.

You have chosen the right place to become a better trumpet player.

-Brendan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: