• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modern cornet similar to Bix' cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Modern cornet similar to Bix' cornet Reply with quote

It's my understanding that Bix played, at various times, Conn Victor 80A and 81A New Wonders, Bach Stradivarius, and a Holton-Clarke.

Would anyone know which horn he played in his days with Frankie Trumbauer*, and what modern cornet might be the closest in sound to that?

(Yes, I know,"it's the player, not the horn". But that's not what I'm asking.) Thanks.

* This period:
"I'm Coming Virginia"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7YYt0F-K4&feature=relmfu

"Singing the Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjjIPmPxWY

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bix played almost everything on the Victor cornets (the 80A and 81A are almost identical). There is a photograph of him with a Holton Clarke cornet, "which he may never have used" (from Bix, by Jean Pierre Lion, p.295), probably only a sponsor thing.
Maybe he played a (borrowed?) Martin cornet on the the Rhythm Jugglers recordings (1925).
The Bach cornets he bought, one was for Jimmy McPartland, the other for Bix is on display at the Davenport Putnam museum (serial number 620) and its condition seems to indicate that it was not played much (Bix, Lion p. 295).
So most recordings are probably done by Bix using the Victors. Maybe Toddler's Blues and Davenport Blues are done with a Martin cornet. It is unclear what he played here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmD7jeIEkfg (from 1'10). I think the Martin.
I have a silver 80A from 1942 and I played many modern cornets but there is no modern cornet that plays or sounds like a 80A. Especially the barking sound of a 80A in the low middle is a unique selling point.

Last edited by delano on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, delano. Are the 80As and 81As particularly problematic to play, vis a vis stuffiness, intonation or the like?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, there is no modern equivalent.

However, if you are looking to buy, the 80A was one, if not the only, horn Conn made for almost 50 years, with very little changes in the design or bore size. I recently bought/sold a 80A from 1935 that had very low mileage and played great. So finding a vintage one in good to excellent condition is fairly easily done. Even from the 1920s they show up in reasonably good condition.

If the valves are in decent shape they are never stuffy. With that big bore size (.485) they are free-blowing horns.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t mean to muck up your thread, but your link pops up the most amazing array of supposedly "related" videos - from sailing across the ocean doing 25 knots in 23 knots of breeze, to Pops with Billie Holiday, to Faddis' Hornucopia ... to THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZiJAFWWfw&feature=related
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 80A Victor, in good condition, is a great horn. No worries about stuffiness -- they have a .485" bore... yet they're not the lung-suckers you might think from that number.

As far as intonation goes, they have one (and only one) vintage quirk. The third valve slide is slightly long, resulting in a low D that's in tune, a low C# that's a bit sharp, and 2-3 valve combos that are a little low.

I have seen pictures of 80A's with well-done third slide conversions, reversing one of the slide tubes and adding a finger ring. If such a conversion was combined with shortening the slide length a bit, the intonation tendencies of an 80A would be more comfortable for someone used to modern horns.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
An 80A Victor, in good condition, is a great horn. No worries about stuffiness -- they have a .485" bore... yet they're not the lung-suckers you might think from that number.

As far as intonation goes, they have one (and only one) vintage quirk. The third valve slide is slightly long, resulting in a low D that's in tune, a low C# that's a bit sharp, and 2-3 valve combos that are a little low.

I have seen pictures of 80A's with well-done third slide conversions, reversing one of the slide tubes and adding a finger ring. If such a conversion was combined with shortening the slide length a bit, the intonation tendencies of an 80A would be more comfortable for someone used to modern horns.

I agree with this. The 80A plays quite good, very freeblowing. It plays excellent with a trumpet mp (I use a Jim New made custom bb and a Warburton 6M cup), for the real cornetsound I use a Curry 8.5BBC with the special Conn shank. And that sounds BIG! It is possible to lip the problematic tones with the third valve in tune but this is an instrument that for that reason and because of the huge bore needs some regular practice.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT information, guys, thanks!

One last question, then. I play medium bore trumpets. How would I compensate for that on the larger-bored Conn cornet? Thanks in advance.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure. I play two largebore (0.483 = 11.75 mm) trumpets, a Yamaha 6345 and a Selmer B700. They are completely different instruments. The Selmer is very free blowing, I used the Warburton 7 and the NY bb on it but the Selmer plays better with a heavy mp so I changed to a Yamaha 11B4GP. That mp has a semi-narrow bb and relatively a small throat. That's ideal for these kind of freeblowing trumpets. But my Yamaha trumpet, which plays a little bit like a Bach 37, has a narrow belltaper and my Warburton 7 bb feels too restrictive so this trumpet needs a bigger bb.
The 80A is a very open, freeblowing instrument. By using a smaller bb (the Kanstul made custom bb that I have is a copy of the vintage Conn 4 cornet bb) you can give the 80A some resistance. I prefer instruments with little resistance and by which the resistance is only in the beginning of the instrument, in the mp and maybe in the leadpipe.
You have to try things for yourself but I think you can do a lot with backbores and throats.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor is that Conn-Selmer is working on a re-creation of Bach Strad cornet #620 that Bix bought new in Feb. of 1927. .462 bore, 106 bell and 102 leadpipe. Bix used a Bach #7 mouthpiece with it.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bix's Bach

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

One last question, then. I play medium bore trumpets. How would I compensate for that on the larger-bored Conn cornet? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I don't think you'd have any trouble with a good 80A at all! Why the .485 bore on that particular wrap cornet? Simply because that's the bore size that made it play, and blow, like magic!

Yep, lots of extra wrap on that baby, which probably added to the resistance that was offset by .485 turning out to be the right COMBINATION on that instrument.

I don't find the blow on it that big at all . . . but actually PERFECT.

An original condition 80A from the '30s or '40s is one screamin' instrument . . . with quite a BARK! Mine, from '39 slots accurately for an easy blow up to, and beyond double C. Great valves too.

Here's mine. It came with the "Artist Kit" (including the rare, Hershey Bar brown artist's case (rather than the plain black Conn case) and the artist mouthpiece. In this case the Conn short shank Harry Glantz signature mouthpiece as pictured . . . a great sounding combination indeed!

rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Hi,

I don't think you'd have any trouble with a good 80A at all! Why the .485 bore on that particular wrap cornet? Simply because that's the bore size that made it play, and blow, like magic!

Yep, lots of extra wrap on that baby, which probably added to the resistance that was offset by .485 turning out to be the right COMBINATION on that instrument.

I don't find the blow on it that big at all . . . but actually PERFECT.

An original condition 80A from the '30s or '40s is one screamin' instrument . . . with quite a BARK! Mine, from '39 slots accurately for an easy blow up to, and beyond double C. Great valves too.

Here's mine. It came with the "Artist Kit" (including the rare, Hershey Bar brown artist's case (rather than the plain black Conn case) and the artist mouthpiece. In this case the Conn short shank Harry Glantz signature mouthpiece as pictured . . . a great sounding combination indeed!

whoa! Beautiful instrument. Did you have it restored? Original?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are too much!

I guess the most logical thing is simply to get one and work from there.
So Tom - why don't you send me yours so I can try it out and see if that's what I really want to play. I'll be sure to take good care of it and to return it. Uh, sure. Uh, I'll return it. Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll return it.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:

Yep, lots of extra wrap on that baby, which probably added to the resistance that was offset by .485 turning out to be the right COMBINATION on that instrument

Count the angles of the bends and you get 720 degrees. A trumpet wrap is 360 and a cornet typically is 720. A shepherd's crook adds a little more but basically you are looking at one full circle (trumpet) vs two (cornet). The 80A type has the extra wrap after the bell while most cornets have the extra wrap before the bell.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I have two .485"-bore Conn cornets. I also have two medium bore trumpets I play regularly. I don't have a problem going back and forth.

The 80A has a fairly tight leadpipe and "only" expands to .468" at the top leg of the switch-to-A tuning slide. The remaining bore expansion happens in that first slide crook. Somehow it all balances.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed recently that a lot of the older NY bach cornets are of narrower bore and have smaller bells than the current 181 model which has a 37 bell. Its interesting how this larger configuration has been arrived at =- possibly to compete with trumpets. I like long model cornets to have that narrower bore and smaller tone. It makes them sound a bit more intimate.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: