• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

practice volume level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: practice volume level Reply with quote

a recent thread here commented on high note and lead players tending to go through practice at moderate levels and concentrate on tone and control. i agree with this it works best for me. when i do high register practice and really stand on the notes it creates fatigue more than it does strength.
bill knevitt was a claude gordon student and teacher and i am going through his material. he advises that you have to introduce longer stretches of forte practice to strengthen as a player. i am inclined to let this advice slide by.
what is the role of fortissimo and higher volume levels in practice, and does anyone do well with this?
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly if you never practice Forte in the upper register, then you will always need a microphone and a quite band.
Seriously if you have to play high and loud then at some point, you have to practice both high and loud. You do have to build up to where you can sustain it.

I like to have students build some range, gain some control and then start extending the volume a little at a time.
Then the cycle starts over. The forte gave you MORE muscle to learn to add new notes, which need to be controlled and then they need more volume. Then you have more strength to add more notes...
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pretty much any parameter -- range, dynamics, speed, whatever -- I would suggest that typically the best way to approach things is to develop a sound fundamental approach at a moderate level and then gradually expand from there, always taking care to make sure that we are always playing with the same approach.

So if practicing loudly just tires you out, by all means, don't spend a lot of time doing that. Spend most of your time practicing below the dynamic where things stop working efficiently, and work at gradually increasing that dynamic.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound advice, much thanks.
watasnake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with practicing at all levels
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you cover all levels. I find it's easier to practice quietly at the start and then let loose on louder stuff towards the end. Then some low quiet stuff to warm down.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in loud Rock and R&B bands when I was young, and after I got into jazz I had problems playing too loud. Now I spend part of my warmup playing very softly. I do this a few times a week, and it's like it helps me to compose myself.

jbq
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: practice volume level Reply with quote

I find playing jazz helps me compose, myself. HA!

chuck in ny wrote:

what is the role of fortissimo and higher volume levels in practice, and does anyone do well with this?

A tricky thing here is, a forte for you may be a piano for me. If I'm in a 2,000 seat hall I can follow Roger Ingram's advice and play at 60% effort, (or less!) not need a mic, and almost bury my very loud band. I don't need to play that high to have that effect, either. So even though it's so much fun to step on the gas pedal from there, it's almost kinda silly for me to practice that way. But developing that kind of projection will likely take working up towards playing louder, with control. I think it's a worthwhile goal, even if you have no performance need for that kind of power. It gets your fundamental sound production working correctly for you. (See: Schlossberg)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: