• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mineral Oil for Slide Oil.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Mineral Oil for Slide Oil. Reply with quote

I had been searching for a good 1st and 3rd slide oil for quite sometime, even mixing some of my own from various trumpet lube things, and happed upon food grade mineral oil. I have a small collection of knifes and did some research about good and popular knife oils, and I thought 'Golly Gee, Ima put this on my trumpet and see what happens!' Well, I did, and I liked the results. It was just under 3 buck at wally world, is very safe to handle, odorless, and and you essentially get a lifetime supply. I put some in two old Al Cass bottles to keep in my case.

Your mileage may vary depending on slide tolerances, what valve oil you use, and your body chemistry. On my Bachs it does great using Al Cass and UltraPure - I have yet to encounter any issues.

Just thought I'd put this out there for inquiring minds.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave
will give this a try. i keep mineral around at all times as a base for making handy mixtures. heating a quart of mineral oil and adding 2 oz. of beeswax gives you a low tech wood finish.
..chuck
ken_k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman makes about every weight oil one could ever need and it has been designed for brass instrument use. A bottle will last several years so cost is really not a factor over time. Zaja also makes a great slide oil for 1st & 3rd.
1956 Martin Committee #2
1972 Selmer Radial 75 Bb Trumpet
1976 Selmer Radial 99 C/Bb Trumpet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Schilke XA1 Cornet
Brasspire P7 Pocket
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. FWIW, valve and slide oils are primarily made from mineral oil (or a synthetic equivalent). So it make sense that you found a winner going with the real thing.

Also, I'm jealous of Ken. A bottle of Hetman valve oil doesn't last more than a couple months for me.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hetman doesn't last that long for me either, and while very good product, doesn't do that well on my WT mostly due to tight slides.
i put some mineral oil into a needle oiler and it is working out well. it's easy to put a drop on each leg on the 1 & 3 slides every time the horn comes out, and of course they work better that way than with only occasional hetman use.
the viscosity is thick enough and not drippy while applying, begging the question whether some synthetic or regular valve oil should be mixed in to further enslicken. there's something for fooling around with another day.
good thought with the mineral oil and much thanks. i like having stuff on the shelf, and being set for life.
..chuck
ken_k

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first & third slides move very easily, usually only need more product about 3rd week. I clean my horns every two months. I found that the Hetman products thin down with moisture and have best luck with #7. I have not been happy with the valve oil. As you said, it does not last however I normally oil valves every other day. I've been using 5 Starr after Steve Winans recommended it. Works for me.
1956 Martin Committee #2
1972 Selmer Radial 75 Bb Trumpet
1976 Selmer Radial 99 C/Bb Trumpet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Schilke XA1 Cornet
Brasspire P7 Pocket
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old 3in1 mineral oil works fantastic on slides.

If you wanted to thin it some lamp oil like Ultra Pure lamp oil works well as a correction fluid for setting the viscosity you want.

In addition to trumpet lube's I make cork grease for one kids Sax and slide oil for one kids Trombone. The trombone oil I make is basically 3in1 at 50% mixed with 50% cheap valve oil I had sitting around. I wanted the bottle and it was half full so I just added 3in1 too it. It so far out class's all the other stuff I have seen in use from pledge to cold cream with the classic water bottle that trombone players typically use. My son does not need the water bottle in his case bouncing around. This mix has worked so well that if he had not had to clean the trombone it would still have the single application of oil that was applied before school started. Compression/Sealing is fantastic and the slide is fast and smooth.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3in1 is listed as food grade on the bottle.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....incorrect.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 in 1 oil is fine for machinery. whatever smells quite pungent in it, taking a guess here on penetrating chemicals, is something i don't want on a trumpet where there will be deep breathing and mouth contact.
i am assuming the air tool oil i use in the shop has anti oxidants and whatever chemical to condition the bearings on air tools, and it is nowhere near as caustic (?) smelling as 3 in 1. mineral oil on the other hand is neutral in base and won't bother anyone with skin contact or minimal ingestion.
if you work with dedicated use chemicals like 3 in 1, getting it on your hands, you will be able to taste it in your mouth within a number of minutes. working with strong chemicals, even the detergents in motor oil when doing an oil change, you are advised to wear some latex or other gloves.
just some common sense. now there are people who are completely fearless and don't let such things bother them, and that's a personal freedom.
..chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: