• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One year anniversary . . . and we missed it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this past Sunday marked the first anniversary of this Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt Forum, and none of us thought to celebrate it.

That's probably because most of us are too busy with more important day-to-day matters, and that's understandable.

But, as a way of celebration, maybe we can post (when time permits) things we've learned in the past year, thanks to this Forum, that have made a difference in our playing.

Me? I've learned so much in my phone conversations with Chris (Mr. Hollywood) and from getting back into the literature that's been sitting on my shelf for years. There was a time when I devoured Doc's writings daily, as instructed, before practicing (not to mention during and after practicing). Seems that I had gotten lax through the years.

Since I replaced my last car, the one that had a great place to keep my unsharpened wooden pencil in plain sight, I had almost forgotten about the pencil trick, and the other daily calesthenics.

I recently re-learned about the "stay with the jaw" concept. I keep re-learning to notbe so in love with my sound . . . a standard Type IIIB pitfall.

In becoming moderator of this forum, I've become more of a student than I probably ever was in the past. This has been a great year for me.

Thanks to all of you who have participated here and have made this so beneficial for me (and hopefully for many others).

Rich
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know it was the annniversary?
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, I just looked at the first welcome post, well, I hope that this forum keeps on going, my private teacher was taught by Rhinehart and he has me on some of the same teachings
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like you Rich. I needed to get back to the encyclopedia after this last year. I've not participated as much lately due to time constraints but also because in the last year this forum has illuminated glaring areas in my playing and my teaching. And I've come a long way because of it.

I give thanks to all who I've been brought into contact with this last year. Besides turning me on to some drills I didn't know about and explaining some I didn't fully understand, Chris helped me think about what a Type IV needs in a mouthpiece. That promped me to talk to Scott Holbert about making a mouthpiece to fit my needs. Besides, he's a type IV like me. And did he ever hit the nail on the head. I am much more consistant in every way on this new mouthpiece. He also helped me find a "leg" I wasn't setting fully at the last reunion. It was just like the first time I saw Doc. He set that leg and a double C popped out like I could always do it. You'd think I'd learned by now.

Rich...thanks for letting me stand next to you and listen to what you can do (while I tried to show you what I can do, uhhh). I love your sound too!! You and Dave Sheetz have reminded me where the "cash register" is. And because of an even more balanced approach to my practice my range has increased further. Go figure...

And speaking of Dave Sheetz. "Helloooo, it's in the encyclopedia, page....." Dave stayed with me during the last reunion and we got to hang out. I heard some marvelous stories of the good 'ole days and really got to know what a funny, intelligent and articulate man he is. He will not admit the obvious, he is by far the best speaker we have on the Pivot System. I hope he will be speaking at our next gathering. In the meantime, I look forward to his future postings on this forum.

I've met a lot of people here and I hope I've contributed thoughtfully to those who needed help. I look forward to making more acquaintances at the next Reinhardt Festival in April 2004 as well as here on this forum.

Now...I've got some Advanced Form Studies (in Ab) to work on.......

"No matter where you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-08-27 17:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-08-27 17:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-08-27 17:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-09-03 08:00 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Paul and I are the only ones learning anything around here.

(I don't believe that for a single second.)

Doc told me, "I never give a lesson that I don't take a lesson." Even Doc kept learning until the day he died. I hope I'm the same way.

C'mon, guys, let's hear some more pearls of wisdom, fer cryin' out loud.

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Paul and I are the only ones learning anything around here.

(I don't believe that for a single second.)

Doc told me, "I never give a lesson that I don't take a lesson." Even Doc kept learning until the day he died. I hope I'm the same way.

C'mon, guys, let's hear some more pearls of wisdom, fer cryin' out loud.

Rich

Rich;
Since you asked:
How many of these can you answer yes to?
1. Do you read "Discuss the basic points of the Pivot System in a brief and concise manner" Q&A in the Encyclopedia every day?
2. Do you do the trio of daily playing calisthentics on a regular basis?
3. Do you drink a glass of water approx. 15 minutes before doing your daily routines?
4. Do you run water through your instrument before playing?
5.Do you still read the "Pivot System Daily Pratice Questionare?
6. When was the last time you looked at or listened to your lesson sheets and/or tapes?
7. Do you still work on any of Doc's routines?
8. How about the fourth daily playing calisthentic that is not in the Encyclopedia?
WEG
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rich, and the rest of the Reinhardt family!

I am a frequent reader, but very infrequent poster, on the TH.

I'm new to the Pivot System as of earlier this year. As a matter of fact, I bought my encyclopedia a couple of weeks before I met Rich at a trumpet clinic held in Houston, TX.

Within mere "seconds" of getting Rich to spend a little personal time with me, he brought out a big, bold, beautiful sound out of my horn. Remember, Rich? Of course, Rich had to leave the same day as my personal mini-lesson, and the "sensation" was gone...or was it?

I have learned a tremendous amount by reading this forum! It never amazes me, however, how often I can read the encyclopedia, and read many of the same things, over and over again, before something that I had read "a gazillion times," makes sense, and the proverbial light "turns on."

Case in point - I did not like the way my lower lip "looked" when I played...I could see too much of it, much of what i imagine a Farkas embouchure to look like! But I didn't know exactly how I should try to correct it! Then, just last night, while reading through (again) the encyclopedia, I read on page 157 that, "In the PIVOT SYSTEM, the lower lip membrane is encouraged to move slightly in and over the lower teeth while ascending the register of the instrument..." The light then "turned on!" SLIGHTLY IN AND OVER! I don't know how many times I had read that, in this and in other sections of the encyclopedia, but it finally "clicked and made sense!"

I read this very late at night, so I didn't have time to "experiment" with this until today...what a personal discovery! There was a certain "body" to the notes when everything clicked, and the registers came with it! I am very excited to see what the future holds with this new, more CORRECT, embouchure formation.

Rich, you started me down the correct path - I'm just sorry that we could not spend more time together! David S. and Scott H. have also taken their time to assist me!

Sure would like to meet more of you! Maybe, just maybe, I can make it to the reunion in April, and put more "names with faces!"

So, it is with a great thanks to you all, and especially to Dr. Reinhardt, that I say...this IS the system for brass playing!

Blessings,

Dr. Michael Guevara
http://www.goldentrumpet.org

PS - Hey Rich, Berta and I finally got a house!! WOOHOO!! Now, if you and your lovely bride are ever in Houston, you have a place to stay, my friend!
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of ironic that you should be talking about your lower lip.

If you look right at the begining of the Encyclopedia you will see that it was the "lower lip, slightly in and over the lower teeth" that was Doc's FIRST BIG DISCOVERY.

Before the "balancing weight accident" happened (see Encyclopedia) Doc had NO CHOPS AT ALL.

So it looks like you are on the right track my friend.

Chris
swatkins

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, could you elaborate on the pitfalls of being in love with your sound-I'm not sure I understand.
Thanks
Steve
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael! Great to hear about your progress with the Pivot System! Hopefully you haven't fallen in love with your sound!

I, too, have a tendency to read something over and over and "suddenly" (even years later) the old lightbulb sputters to life and I can finally see the light. Don't feel bad. Of course, all my books are still in boxes and I haven't had a chance to get back to studying my Encyclopedia (Dave's been instrumental in pointing out that all the answers are there and have been there the whole time).

Y'know, my wife and I drove through Houston back in late June, between New Orleans and Austin, and we passed some of the highway where you and Berta had driven me and Bruce. I didn't know I was going to be so close . . . we didn't really have time to stop in, but if I'd thought about it I could've at least called. We will meet again, I feel it!

In fact, meeting at the Reunion in April would be fantastic. Chris LaBarbera already has gigs that weekend that he can't clear off his calendar . . . bummer! But I'm hoping we can get as many Reinhardt cats there as possible.

If you and Berta come, we have a guest bedroom that could probably fit two . . . just barely. But the same offer is good for you and Berta, too, alright?

Quote:

On 2003-09-15 21:11, swatkins wrote:
Rich, could you elaborate on the pitfalls of being in love with your sound-I'm not sure I understand.
Thanks
Steve

And Steve, all it means is that IIIB's (such as myself) usually love our huge sounds so much that we tend to blow our aperture out so that it's hard to develop the compression necessary for the extreme upper register. Doc always told us to keep the middle and lower registers sorta "thin" while our chops are developing . . . once we have a G in our pocket any time, any place, then we have a little more latitude with that (listen to Maynard's lower and middle register, fer cryin' out loud, and it doesn't appear to hurt his compression for the extreme upper register . . . his chops are far more developed than most of us, though).

Make sense?

Rich
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on, Rich!

By the way, the proposed date of the Reinhardt Reunion happens to fall on my B-day (4/17)...may be tough to work in, but we'll see!!

And yes, I think that we will definitely visit again, sometime!

Mr. Hollywood,

You're right! I don't know how many times I read that as well...and there it is! You know, I haven't checked my eyes in quite a while...

Thanks for the encouragement - I really am excited about the progress I am making with the Pivot System!

Blessings,

[ This Message was edited by: GTM on 2003-09-16 10:13 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: